Lurker turned poster!

Options
AndyMaz
AndyMaz Member Posts: 64
edited 29. Sep 2012, 05:32 in Say Hello Archive
Hi there!

I've been lurking around the forums for about 6 months now, but today's visit to the Rheumatologist has spurred me to register.

For around 12 years I have suffered from lower back pain. I visited many GP's over the years and always left with instructions to take paracetamol/ibuprofen. For the last 2 years the pain has got progressively worse, and I found out via my Mum that my Dad, who I don't speak to any more, suffers from AS.

After many hours researching what this was, I decided to go back to my current GP and explain the situation. He sent me for blood tests and an X-ray. Bloods came back with higher than normal levels of inflammation and X-Ray was "normal". He referred me for Physio.

I had two sessions with the Physio, which included acupuncture (did nothing for the pain), before he referred me back to my GP. My GP then diagnosed "probable" AS and referred me to the Rheumatologist at the hospital. I've not long been home and he's prescribed me diclofenac stating "clinically I appear to definitely have AS". I'm now waiting on the results of a further blood test (HLA B27) and an appointment for an MRI scan. I'm back to see him in two months.

So that's my story, and here I am.... :(

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Andy

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've had a bit of a ride there! I have the HLA B27 gene but no clinical definitive business. My bloods are often normal too. Good luck with all that. It can be quite a trial and take some time to get a diagnosis and treatment sorted. If you've been lurking (I like the sound of being a lurker) you probably k ow your way around and know there's lots of support and laughs to be had here.

Let us know how things go and holler if you have any questions. Living with Arthritis is the usual place for questions, tips and the rest.

LV xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • AndyMaz
    Options
    Hi thanks for the welcome :)

In a way it's nice to finally know what's wrong.

I'm really aching from the examination though :lol:
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Yep, we all feel like that, it's good to give it a name and not just think we're mad! Sounds like its time you had a rest, I always feel a bit like that after an examination, like a little lab rat, prodded and generally ready to curl up and rest.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Hello from me too, AndyMaz. I'm not very well up on AS (I'm glad to say). My speciality is RA with OA overtones. I'm glad you converted from 'lurking'. it's more fun when you're here proper. Please join in anywhere.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • AndyMaz
    Options
    Resting is going down well. We've just ordered a pizza! Gotta eat something before I can take the diclofenac :)
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Hi Andy

Lovely to meet you and welcome another new man!

Sorry about the likely diagnosis :? but glad you have decided to join us and stop that 'lurking' - really a very bad habit :wink:

Serioulsy though if you have been peeking you will have seen that we are pretty harmless and actually somewhere on the 'normal' contunuum :D

I look forward to seeing you around an about

Toni xx
  • AndyMaz
    Options
    Hi Toni :)
  • nicetomeetu
    nicetomeetu Member Posts: 63
    Options
    Hi Andy,

Lurker turned poster, has a nice ring to it. Made me smile. I am quite new myself. I wanted to be a lurker, but for some reason I had to register as it wasn't letting me access the public forums. I am glad I joined though, the lovely people on here give you so much support and I feel so much better since I joined this site.

My problem is osteoarthritis in all weight bearing joints :cry:

Nice to meet you :)
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Big welcome Andy from me pretty new here myself, so glad I joined you couldn't have come to a better place, you will get all the support you need on here so keep posting and keep asking there is always someone around to help and listen............tc.........Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • AndyMaz
    Options
    I got home from work to find a letter from the hospital giving me an MRI appointment on the 17th October :)
  • AndyMaz
    Options
    I've noticed th Rheumatologist has asked for a Thoracic MRI as well as SIJ and lumbar. I get a lot (and I mean pain to the point of doubling me over if I stand upright too quickly, pain!) of pain in that area, usually on waking, which goes away after a few hours.

Could that be something to do with the AS?
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Ah, who knows? We're not docs so cannot advise you on that. Welcome from me too, lurker-turned-poster! I hope the pizza the other night went down well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben