What a day. Last Night MIL had a stroke.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 3. Oct 2012, 04:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
Our phone rang at 9am. It was MIL's neighbours who were concerned that her kitchen light had been on all night and they couldn't hear her telly (she's very deaf and lives in a semi-detached bungalow). She is also looking after BIL's dog while he's away in Amsterdam (whatever you're thinking about that is probably right) and the dog had been very quiet. Anyhoo Husband went straight round and then the day became surreal. He called 999 and the emergency services swung into action.

We think that Mum had the stroke at about 7pm last night. It appears she was in the kitchen getting her supper ready when it happened. She fell to the floor knees first, then she hit her face on the cupboard door as she keeled over. We reckon the dog spent the night with her, keeping her warm and hence his being quiet. He only barked when Husband went in through the back door.

She has had Xrays (no broken bones) and a scan of her head, where they found evidence of the bleed. They think she may have a UTI as well. They haven't been able to test whether she can swallow as she was floating in and out of consciousness, so they have her on a drip. An extraordinarily young lady doctor was doing some tests on her when Mum announced 'I'm tired' and promptly fell asleep. The feeling is that the stroke has affected her motor skills as her vision is iffy and co-ordination generally 'off' but I'm sure we will find out more over the next few days. She kept saying she wanted to go home but her speech was very slurred. She is nearly 92, but could tell them where she was, what the year is and her name. She also told them she needed the toilet and kept trying to get out of bed. We left at about 7.30 when she was sound asleep.

For the first time in my life I have a dog in my house who will be staying overnight. He is unsettled and clingy. I've spent most of the day with him but I went to the hospital at about 5 figuring my OH might need me more than the hound. He is doing the whole labrador-eyebrow thing which OH is ignoring and I fall for every time. :roll: I am now starting to wheeze and my eyes are running. He's licked me too - I am SO not used to that! We're all shattered. I'm off to bed and OH is taking the dog for a walk. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• 7worlds
    7worlds Member Posts: 302
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hey DD. Sorry to hear about your Mum. That must have been an awful shock for you. You must be absolutely knackered!.Nothing takes it out of you more than hospitals. Hope the tests show that the stroke hasnt done too much damage and your Mun is on the road to recovery soon.

7Worlds
  • PatriciaH
    PatriciaH Member Posts: 77
    Oh DD I am so very sorry to hear your 'news'. I do hope you are all coping as best you can and that your MIL recuperates well and gets the best possible medical care.

Don't forget that you and Mr DD need to rest now and again. Difficult I know under the circumstances - but a sit down with a mug of hot chocolate to renew your batteries will help :)

Great big hugs for you all.

Love Patricia x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    That sounds like the day from hell for all of you, including the dog. I hope tomorrow is better and your mother-in-law can start the recovery process after what, I imagine, will be some much-needed sleep.

As for the dog and wheezing - my sons were both allergic to cats when little but only to well-groomed ones, not your moth-eaten moggies. It turned out it was the saliva, not the hairs. (M E Moggies not bothering too much with ablutions.) I believe it can happen with dogs, too, so maybe you should aim to avoid the wet end rather than the hairs.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Hi DD, sorry to hear about your MIL. Must be a very stressful time for you both. I hope she makes a good recovery. Anti histamine for the wheezing....?
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    I'm so sorry to hear about your MIL, DD. It must have been an awful shock for you and I do hope that she will make a good recovery.

Many years ago, I experienced the same kind of shock when my mother had a stroke. She lived alone, but luckily a neighbour called to see her and called the ambulance just in time.
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Oh DD I am sorry to hear this news and I do hope that today your Mil has improved.
    Sending love & hugs to you and Mr. DD
    Oh and a Pat on the head for the dog too.

Love Juliepf x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    You know I am thinking of you :(

I know she is an old lady, but she is a strong one too, so fingers crossed she will be ok.

Love and strength to you and your husband and family

Toni xxx
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    DD I am so sorry to here about your MIL.
    I hope she makes a good recovery.....the dog will be confused but good that he kept her warm.
    Now DD rest...when you can...May
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    DD I an so sorry about your mum jn law,I hope its a little stroke and she goes on to make a good recovery ,You must be exhausted running on adreniline so make sure you pop dog outside if poss or in kitchen ,give you a needed rest ,what a wonderful loyal pet ,you all need plenty of TLC just now ,Marrianne.
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Hi DD
    I am sorry to hear about your MIL. I hope she has had a good night. And you and MR DD with the dog! Hopefully the IV and some antibiotics will help the UTI, and that she will feel better from that part soon.
    A big shock all round I`m sure. I hope that today is a better day for you xx
    NB
  • JuliaHod12
    JuliaHod12 Member Posts: 456
    Hi DD
    So sorry to hear about your MIL
    I believe it is often the case in older people that they have a UTI as a result of not drinking enough (usually to avoid going to the loo in the night etc) and this in turn can contribute to the stroke. :-(

I hope they manage to find a regime which suits her and she has some good results.

take care
    Julia xx
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    DD sorry to hear about MIL hopefully things will not be as bad as they seem, sending ((((()))))s to you and Mr DD oh neatly forgot the dog keep us posted how things are going.........tc........Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I hope today's news is better. I'm thinking of you all. (())
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Thank you, one and all. Husband rang the hospital, she's sat up and eating a yoghurt, so at least her swallowing is OK. The nurses have washed her hair and cleaned her up a bit, the bruising across her face is astonishing in its vividness. She is still struggling with speech and her BP is still astronomic, 210 / 140 which is worrying. Apparently she will seen by the home assessment team later today and they will try to determine what she may or may not be able to do for herself. She is fiercely independant.

The dog is OK, he much prefers the company of OH to mine, probably because Husband seems similar to BIL (to a dog, anyway!) Our hall carpet is now a nice shade of cream belly-fur labrador (it began as a darkish mocha) and at least he's eaten something this morning. Tinned tomatoes are his favourite, but he's only been allowed half a tin with his pellety stuff. Cue more baleful looks. Nothing does baleful quite as well as a fat lab.

I've dug out my Piriton (thank you for the reminder, Salamander, I appreciate it as my head is all over the place) and I'm back on both inhalers. He's whacked my knees with his tail (think broad rope lined with lead) and they are twanging away nicely. :roll: As I said he is a licky dog so I am covered from head to toe because I do not like being licked, not even by 'im indoors. :) BIL should be back between 6 and 7 tonight. I won't be going to the hospital today, I ache from head to toe and here's nothing I can do anyway. I have to do some food shopping for us so that will be my challege for the day. Oy veh, vot a life. The main thing though is that MIL appears to be doing as well as she can. She's a tough old girl. One lighter note yesterday evening was that when asked to puff out her cheeks (she's very deaf and didn't have in her aids) she took out her teeth. Bless her heart. DD
  • arfaitis
    arfaitis Member Posts: 155
    Sorry to hear this DD, hope all goes well for her and yourselves, it is totally amazing how old folks are so strong and resilient.
    I shall be thinking of you, keep us posted.

Arfa
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    I expect you know this already but the sooner they start rehabilitation the better for MIL. You can check this out online but they say within 24 to 48 hours after initial crisis over. Improves outcome vastly - hopefully help her to keep her independence.
  • deedeeitsme
    deedeeitsme Member Posts: 321
    So sorry to hear this DD....Glad to hear that she is doing as well as can be expected. Hospital visit can be so tiring can't they, I know from the numerous occassions my mum has been in hospital. Please remember to rest up and don't do too much. My best wishes to your MIL and please take care, it's so easy to forget our limitations in a crisis and then it gives you a good kick just to remind you it's still there.

x Dee x
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Sorry to read your news DD, but pleased to see that MIL doing better today. She does sound tough. Imagine being 92.......

I know the baleful looks very well, I have a black lab and a golden retriever and both act like they are starved!

Thinking of you

Helen x
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    So sorry to hear about your MIL, strokes are evil things! It must be shocking for your OH seeing his mom's black and blue face. I remember my NIL's face when she fell and hit her face, you couldn't recognise her. I bet those eyes of the pooch work wonders on you, not so much your OH. Keep getting pictures in my head of puss in boots with those big eyes!! :lol: At least you only have him till this evening.
    Your MIL is amazing to be 92 and having a stroke and to be eating and speaking after it and wanting to go home, she is one tuff cookie and I want to be as strong as her when I'm 92! Amazing! You & your OH take care and stay strong. And DD rest those poor wacked knee's!
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    So sorry to hear about your MIL DD. I hope she makes a good recovery. In the meantime, do try to look after yourself. It's incredibly tiring to visit at a hospital bed and I'm sure it's all taking it's toll on you.
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Hi DD

I've just read this, what a rough event for all concerned. The very best of luck to MIL and all over the next few days. I hope things settle and continue to improve. Swallowing that well so soon is a great sign, as is sitting up. My fingers are firmly crossed and my thoughts are with you all.

Dog sounds like an interesting prospect. My husband's dog is a licker, I love dogs but loathe the licking business, perhaps why my two know better than to try. Not sure how you deter it, I tend to end up tucking my hands under my legs so there's no flesh for her to lick. Mine were horrified with news of tinned tomato breakfasts but they've just had their Sunday bacon butties which could be why!

Lots of love
    LV xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,898
    Hello DD
    we are so sorry to hear the news about your MIL we hope she makes a good recovery she seems a very strong strong lady
    DDyou have plenty of rest when you can.and what a loyal dog to keep her warm all night.
    take care all.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • pinkbritishstars
    pinkbritishstars Member Posts: 731
    thinking of you DD xxx
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Thanks DD for letting us know how MIL is doing as LV says swallowing and sitting up are a good sign hope her wee face is ok, she sounds a tough cookie, trying to keep fingers crossed that your next post will be with more good news, hope you are trying to take things easy and your knees are holding up regards to Mr DD.............tc..........Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    LV! Bacon butties? Methinks you're spoiling those hounds. :wink: Jasper is (reluctantly) returning every now and again to the pellety stuff, probably in sheer desperation. OH is being (in my opinion) very hard-hearted in not giving him anything nicer so when OH goes out this afternoon the dog will have a whole tin of tomatoes followed by a cuppa - that's hardly going overboard, is it? I also have some iced fingers but don't know if they are suitable - all advice welcome please.

MIL is an extraordinary woman when it comes to her health. She had a TIA ten years ago, she was with BIL at the time and he rang an ambulance straight away. They couldn't find her file because it was so thin - two sheets of paper referring to BIL's birth in 1955. End of. We are very fortunate in that we still have an A&E, it was built just a couple of years ago, cost a bomb and I doubt the hospital would have the nerve to close it. It is worrying that she spent the night on the floor but her innate good health must stand her in good stead. We'll know more this afternoon about how she is. We have nothing but praise for the care she has received so far - but the two junior doctors' ages probably won't add up to more than 30. Talk about young. :shock: Or am I just getting old? Yup, that'd be it. :roll:

Once again my thanks go to you, Salamander, for your wise words. I was aware of this (we were told it after her first 'episode') but the reminder was welcome. I was so pleased to hear she was eating something because hopefully they will be able to give her her meds - that BP was waaaaaay to high and needs sorting. I doubt she'll be going home any time soon - luckily BIL works at the hospital so he'll be able to pop in and out to see her, and we can go in the evenings. DD