Lumber Sympathetic Nerve Block Injection

Avrielle
Avrielle Member Posts: 182
edited 1. Oct 2012, 08:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi. I've not been around in a little while, but thought I'd pop back and ask if anyone here has ever has a Lumber Sympathetic Nerve Block done before or knows about it?

My Pain Management doctor has booked me in for one of these in around a months time but told me nothing about it except that it was a 'slightly' painful injection that goes in to the back that may benefit my foot pain.

I've done a little research on it and it sounds like a horrendous procedure and I was shaking after reading on it! Hardly a simple injection!

To recap, I have had pain in my right foot for over two years after an accident I had that damaged the ligaments in the sole of my foot. The pain is still bad and the doctors have suggested that it is Complex Regional Pain Syndrome brought on by the painful damage. But they have never had any proof of it being nerve damage, except for my symptoms. This injection, in theory, should clarify that diagnosis, but I fear that a painful, complicated and lengthy procedure is just not worth it. I have asked for an MRI scan to be done again (had one about a year and a half ago that showed the significant ligament damage even 9months after the injury) to show if damage is still there or perhaps show scar tissue that could be causing the ongoing pain, etc, but they refuse to do that. I suspect NHS cuts are to blame for that...

But they seem quite keen on the injection... Far more than I am. The problem is that I have been suffering joint pains for around 6months now that are undiagnosed and worsening and spreading. I have pains in both my knees, hips, back, left ankle, left elbow, right wrist and shoulders.

As far as my understanding goes, this injection will not benefit any of these pains - unless it confirms that it is CRPS (unlikely) - and will only benefit the pain in my foot if the pain is due to damaged sympathetic nerves (CRPS).

I know this isn't strictly arthritis related, but I'd gladly hear from anyone who has any knowledge or understanding of the injection and if anyone can confirm that a block of the sympathetic nerves could aid pain relief of bad joints? Or just anything to say at all really...

I will be phoning my doctor tomorrow to ask for more information and perhaps find opinions from other doctors too before I decide if it is worth me going through with it or if I should cancel the appointment and work on demanding an MRI scan of my foot instead.

Sorry for such a lengthy post. I hope it makes sense.
Life is just a ride. Up and down, round and around, thrills and chills, very brightly coloured and very loud. But don't ever be afraid, because it is just a ride.

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    can not help sorry but bumping to top for others to see val
    val
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    Sorry cant help really.......I'm due a nerve block injection in a about 10 days time......because if spinal stenosis. I havent had these before ...so not sure either. All I know is it is a day procedure and will have a local anaesthetic before the injections???

Love
    Hileena
  • Avrielle
    Avrielle Member Posts: 182
    hileena111 wrote:
    Hi
    Sorry cant help really.......I'm due a nerve block injection in a about 10 days time......because if spinal stenosis. I havent had these before ...so not sure either. All I know is it is a day procedure and will have a local anaesthetic before the injections???

Love
    Hileena

Oh I do wish you the best. Yes, anesthetic is used, lots of it. I shall be finding out if it is safe for me to go through with this as I will not be able to use a normal, regular anesthetic. Anesthetic has addrenaline in that causes a reaction with me, I certainly don't want to be twitching involentary during such a precise procedure! So I would need an anesthetic with a reduced amount of addrenaline in, but this wears off much quicker than normal stuff. I've read the procedure takes around 30-45mins, and I don't know if they can top up enough anesthetic in without risking anesthetic toxication!

There are loads of things that scare me about this injection. I'm not afraid of needles, but it really scares me that something could go wrong and I fear pain, during and afterwards. I had a steroid injection in the sole of my foot that went wrong and the anesthetic didn't work and caused additional damage to the ligament. Since then I fear any sort of injection like that, (blood tests and standard injections into an arm etc are fine though.)

Annoys me that the doctors don't do much to put my fears to rest. A rheumatologist wanted me to have a steroid injection in to my knee there and then during my first appointment, despite having no diagnosis. When I refused and gave my reasons, he said that I obviously wasn't in that much pain to not have the injection and just told me to leave! Grrr!

Anyway.. I'd love to hear if you get any further information before your upcoming appointment and wishing yours the best. Xx
    Life is just a ride. Up and down, round and around, thrills and chills, very brightly coloured and very loud. But don't ever be afraid, because it is just a ride.
  • Emily
    Emily Member Posts: 124
    Avrielle wrote:
    hileena111 wrote:
    Hi

Love
    Hileena

Oh I do wish you the best. Yes, anesthetic is used, lots of it. I shall be finding out if it is safe for me to go through with this as I will not be able to use a normal, regular anesthetic. Anesthetic has addrenaline in that causes a reaction with me, I certainly don't want to be twitching involentary during such a precise procedure! So I would need an anesthetic with a reduced amount of addrenaline in, but this wears off much quicker than normal stuff. I've read the procedure takes around 30-45mins, and I don't know if they can top up enough anesthetic in without risking anesthetic toxication!

There are loads of things that scare me about this injection. I'm not afraid of needles, but it really scares me that something could go wrong and I fear pain, during and afterwards. I had a steroid injection in the sole of my foot that went wrong and the anesthetic didn't work and caused additional damage to the ligament. Since then I fear any sort of injection like that, (blood tests and standard injections into an arm etc are fine though.)

Annoys me that the doctors don't do much to put my fears to rest. A rheumatologist wanted me to have a steroid injection in to my knee there and then during my first appointment, despite having no diagnosis. When I refused and gave my reasons, he said that I obviously wasn't in that much pain to not have the injection and just told me to leave! Grrr!

Anyway.. I'd love to hear if you get any further information before your upcoming appointment and wishing yours the best. Xx

I do not know if this will be helpful for you, when my mum wanted her second hip replacement and due to her age in her 70's the medical profession would only do it under an Epidural. She was find with it and even said afterwards that she heard them sawing her hip. It would be worth having a word with your GP.
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    avrielle I am sorry I can't help either but I do wish you well and hope that the procedure helps.

Love Juliepf x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Oh Avrielle
    I am sorry I cant help, like Hileena,I am due a spinal block, I have had one around 3 years ago, but need one in a different part...it was painful has it goes between the vertebra...but it wont stop me having another one, so it couldn't have been that bad.
    I do wish you well with it, and please let us know how you get on x
    Love
    Barbara