really struggling

nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 4. Oct 2012, 02:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I feel I need to off load so sorry before I start!
I am really struggling to cope with my hips, back just legs in general. I am due to see my consultant on Thursday to tell them about changes to my right hip, and it can`t come quick enough. i know they won`t do anything there and then, but I need a plan. My current plan of hobbling about with my stick whilst popping pills day and night is not working.
I am in lots of pain today and feel like crying as the pills aren`t helping. I am a nightmare to live with as I am so bad tempered, and I know I am!
I am in tears when driving which is not good as my job is a lot of driving. Work are good with me and my colleagues will always help if I ask.( but I don`t like asking!!) My hubby is brill, but he feels a bit helpless at the moment.
I am not sleeping well which makes it worse, and I`m sure many of you know what thats like!
Thanks for reading xx
NB

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    That sounds tough, NB. On the plus side your husband and work colleagues are good and helpful. On the minus side you are in a lot of pain and that’s unlikely to change when you see the consultant whatever he decides to do or not do.

Unless today is a one-off and caused by something you overdid yesterday, it sounds as if you are going to find it extremely difficult to carry on as things are.

Can you change your pain relief to something(s) that will help more and enable you to get a decent night’s sleep? Can you accept more help from husband and work? Can you take a few days off for R & R? What does your husband suggest?

Sorry. Lots of questions and no answers. I just hope tomorrow is better.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Oh dear NB first of all (((((()))))) for you

I am sorry that you are having a rough time and at the moment nothing is helping. :(
    I aam not surprised that you are weepy and a little short tempered. I think we are all like that at times (I know I am :wink: ) pain is draining and lack of sleep too is not a good cocktail.

Please if people offer you help, let them.I was like you at one time and never ever liked asking for help but now If I find something difficult and I have had a go at doing it myself I have now started asking for help. This is either when I am out and about or in the house .

I can't give you much advice on your hips only that perhaps a heat pad (then again i suspect you have done that)

I hope Thursday comes around quickly for you and that you get the help you need :)

Take care,
    Love and a few more (((((()))))

Juliepf x
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    So sorry to hear that you're in so much pain , NB , thank heavens that you have a caring hubby ( would fall apart without the support and love from mine ) ; try to care about yourself a bit more too . If you can't do something then don't ! Your hubby probably longs to help so start learning to ask for his assistance now and then . Will be with you at your appointment . Jillyb
  • nearlybionic
    Hi Sticky
    Thanks for your reply, and questions !
    I have seen my GP who gave Tramadol to add to my coco`s, naproxen etc.. It does help, but I am not taking top dose as I am worried about getting too used to them and they will then not work. Also I am only taking them at night, which wears off at about 3-4 am, or on my days off when I am not driving.
    I will try to ask for help more, I promise. But don`t want to take time off work yet in case I have surgery and need to time off (and money) then. tBut my Hubby often asks should I be working, as has my boss! I do have some better days, but not so much at the moment.
    Thanks again xx
    NB
  • nearlybionic
    Hi Julie
    Thanks for your reply and hug xx
    I am my own worst enemy I know, I will try to take your advice and ask for help more.
    I have been using heat pads, and MR NB has put the winter duvet on today so i should be all snug tonight.
    Take care x
    NB
  • nearlybionic
    Hi Jillyb
    Thanks for your reply, I am very lucky that my hubby is so good, and puts up with me. He sure didn`t sign up for all this 23 yrs ago!
    Thanks for your support for Thursday xx
    NB
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Oh NB
    I really do feel for you, at the min my back and hips are so blinking painful...they will be like this till they make up there minds were the worst pain is coming from.
    So I do understand some of what you are going though,please try and get over to your consultant how much pain you are in, even if it has to include tears...I say this because its the only thing they seem to understand sometimes....mind you they see a lot of people in pain.
    I do hope you get something done very soon, and here's some hugs to keep you going (((((()))) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • nearlybionic
    Hi Barbara
    I hope you get some answers soon as to who is the main culprit, hips or back. At the moment mine all seem to be in cahoots!
    I will explain fully how I feel, and am sure it will mean tears, especially after the long drive to Wrightington.
    Thanks for the hugs, much appreciated xx
    NB
  • barbara12
    Hi NB
    I go to Wrightington... how far away do you live xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • nearlybionic
    Hi Barbara
    About 20 miles from the hospital. Was referred there as my local hospital wouldn`t touch my hips due to the dysplasia.
    You`re not there Thursday then? We could have had a coffee x
    NB
  • barbara12
    Hi NB
    I was there last week having injections in my wrist and hand, but has for my hip consultant I am still waiting....good luck with your appointment..I will be thinking about you..we are around 8 miles away but sometime with the traffic it takes us an hour x
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Nearly

Lovely to see your name, but not lovely to hear how bad you are doing at the moment :(

I am so very glad you actually have an imminent appointment - this sort of thing usually happens just after an appointment for me!!

I am glad your colleagues are so kind and hope that they(and more importantly YOU) don't have to wait for too long before the consultant can start to do 'something' to help

Not sleeping is no good if you can sleep you can cope with more teh follwoing day can't you?

SEnding strength and love

Toni xx
  • nearlybionic
    Hi Toni
    Good to see your name too xx
    I am glad I have an appointment Thursday, but am nervous of what I`ll be told. It may sound silly but I am both worried about being told I need surgery, and worried that they will say they aren`t going to do anything yet! My physio and GP think I have a labral tear in my right hip, so i have looked up what that may entail, which is MR arthrogram, possible surgery to repair it, or some things I reas say no point repairing it if you don`t fix the problem that causes the tear , in my case the hip dysplasia. SO if that is the case major surgery, PAO or THR??
    I will drive my self mad with what if`s!! So i will keep warm and wait til Thursday!
    Hope you are ok Toni ?
    NB x
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Hi NB just read your post so sorry to read about your pain being so bad, I hope things are a bit better for you today, no wonder you are bad tempered it quite understandable as pain is the bain of all our lives here's hoping Thursday comes round quick for you........tc........Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    I hope you got some decent sleep, NB, and are feeling a bit better today. I know the feeling of being unsure whether or not one wants the consultant to do something. Personally, I tend to realise afterwards what I really wanted by my reaction to what he's said he will/won't do :roll:

I hope it's a good appointment on Thursday.
    Steven Wright
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Hi NB, sorry to hear you are in so much pain. Don't stint on the painkillers as, supposedly, they work better if you take them regularly rather than sporadically - keeps a level in your system which controls the pain better. Obviously tramadol and driving aren't a good combination :) at least they weren't for me! But could you take a non-opiod painkiller while you work?
    Tell the consultant how it is at your appointment! Best of luck.
    xx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hi NB I want to send you (((HUGS))) and say I really feel for you, your OH sounds a lovely guy and I think you need to listen to him and lighten your load is there anyway you can work from home Or could you deligate any work to others? You have a good sounding boss, I hope you get some pain killers & or meds that help you. Hope you get an appt soon.
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Hi NB, I'm sorry to hear you're having a rough time. You mention the Tramadol wearing off after a few hours and being worried about side effects and working etc.... Tramadol come in 100mg and 200mg Slow Release capsules. They obviously have less side effects than the normal tablets and provide a measured dose which can last for 12 hours so you only take them 2 times a day.
    Hope all goes well with your appointment.
  • nearlybionic
    Hi Sticky, Salamander, Ritwren, Bubbadog
    Thanks for your replies x
    I had a reasonable night, thanks to double Tramadol and the winter duvet! I do take other painkillers when at work, coco`s. But they don`t last long enough really.
    Ritwren, I might enquire about the slow release Tramadol, I hadn`t thought of that, thanks x.
    Back to work tomorrow, so I hope I sleep well. (fat chance!!)
    I am just looking towards Thursday, and will see what my appointment brings.
    I have been a hag today thanks to my sleep deprivation and short fuse. I need to find a way of keeping it to myself. My poor teens!
    The cold and rain don`t help either, especially as my boiler is now broken, and we are waiting for a part to try to fix it! Grrr. What next I ask!!??
    At least I can put the fire on.
    Thanks again x
    NB
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Hi NB, I'm sorry you're having such a bad time at the moment. I hope you have a good appointment on Thursday, and things improve for you very soon.
    Wishing you well,
    Numpty
  • merri
    merri Member Posts: 190
    /hugs I'm sorry to hear that things are so difficult for you /hugs
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Hope you get your boiler fixed soon NB you really need the heating on when it's so cold and damp.
    Best of luck for your appointment thursday.
    hugs.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi NB
    You are having a rough time.
    Like Barbara....I'm waiting for them to find out where the pain is coming from...hips or back although I have an appointment next Wed for nerve root block....L4 and L5
    I am very weepy today as well. Not really like me.
    Thinking of you and remind us before your go and we'll be there.
    (((())))) and love

Hileena
  • nearlybionic
    Hi Numpty, Merri, Ritwren, and Hileena
    Thanks for your replies xx
    At last we have heating and hot water! Hooray.
    Thanks for your good wishes for tomorrows appointment. It can`t come quick enough now.
    I have had a bad couple of days with my hip giving way and causing clunking and awful grinding pain. Work today was horrible and I cried my way home. At least I am off tomorrow, although I have to drive to the hospital which is quite a way. Because my appointment is late afternoon Mr NB can`t come with me , as he needs to be home for the children.
    I hope the consultant has some answers/ideas.
    Hileena, I hope your injections appointment goes well.
    Merri I hope you are feeling ok x
    NB
  • stickywicket
    I'll be thinking of you tomorrow, NB. Please keep us in the loop.
    Steven Wright