Hip Op

scribbler
scribbler Member Posts: 54
edited 4. Oct 2012, 13:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've just been told I need a hip replacement. Anyone with any comments or tips on this please?

Comments

• daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi scribbler,
    Go for it!!!!! It's a new lease of life without pain.
    Only thing I would say is get as fit as you can before the operation and do all the exercises you are given religously after the op.
    You can actually feel the relief from pain as soon as you wake up after the op. There is pain of course from the op but it's different and there will be an end to it.
    Good luck and take care
    xx
  • scribbler
    Many thanks, Daylily for your words of encouragement. I know several people who have had hip or knee or other joints replaced. Some of them are delighted and have found a new lease of life, others had various problems with post-op complications. I can't know if I don't try it and it's got to be better than getting less and less mobile and being in more and more pain.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello Scribbler, I admit I am very fortunate in that my hips are not affected but my view on surgery is that it is designed to help. It means a hiatus to 'normal' life whilst one recovers but if you are as fit as possible before - and behave yourself after - the benefit can be tremendous. Greatly reduced pain and greatly enhanced mobility - what's not to like? :) Of course every surgery is a gamble but it's one I would always take and I would do MY best to make it work. A good friend once told me that new joints are a privilege, not a right, and I agree. The surgeons are human and can only do so much - the rest is surely up to us. I say go for it (I know, that's bit rich as I don't have the same trouble) but you may gain a great deal. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    it's got to be better than getting less and less mobile and being in more and more pain.

Amen to that!!!!!! I had a bilateral TKR (both knees) about 12 weeks ago, and despite still having some pain and weakness, I can honestly say already that it's the best thing I've ever done. But don't compare yourself with knee people; THRs are less painful and have a higher success rate. You should be fine, and I'd say go for it!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi,
    There are quite a few on here that have had THR, so hopefully they will be along very soon, I am waiting to have mine...so I cant offer any help yet.
    You take care xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello scribbler. Yes, my advice would be to get as fit as possible beforehand and also don't be afraid of the exercises after. There is a booklet on exercise and another on surgery in the 'Publications and Resources' section (top of page).

I'm sure, once accepted for surgery, you will be given a leaflet containing exercises and telling you what to expect.

THRs are, despite being major surgery, very tried and tested so, all things being equal, should be successful.

I tend to prefer TKRs to THRs (I have a full set :roll:) because knee recovery is more straightforward - do the exercises, rest, elevate, don't do anything stupid, if in doubt ask.

Hips are similar but afterwards you have to be careful not to dislocate the new joint until you've got the muscles really strong again and supporting it. This means sleeping on your back for 6 weeks (which everyone hates :) ) and, for some time, taking care not to raise the knee above the hip, bend too low or cross your legs, even in bed. Having said that, it's a nuisance but hardly a major problem.

I hope you'll enjoy your new hip. Mine have been great.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • scribbler
    Hi Stickywicket

Many thanks for your comments. I'm a bit worried about "taking care not to raise the knee above the hip". For how long is this likely to be a problem? The reason I ask is that my main method of getting around is a recumbent trike - ie one of those funny things where you sit as though your are on a chair and lift your feet in front to pedal. I love my trike. :D I used to ride a bicycle till I had difficulty getting my leg over (over the crossbar, that is!)
    and now find my trike indispensable.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    An interesting question, scribbler. I know the ones you mean and I think (but don't take my word for it) that you'd be OK because, owing to the 'laid back' position, the knee doesn't actually come very high in relation to the hip. Your post-op physio would be the person to ask though. Hey, I bet you have good muscles if you use one of those regularly :) Can you still use it now?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • scribbler
    Yes, Stickywicket, I use it all the time. Don't know whether I've got good muscles or not. People tend to say "Gosh, you must be fit." to anyone who rides a bike. You can ride slowly and take rests - even easier on a trike.
    Good muscles - I suppose it depends on whose you compare them with. Bradly Wiggins? Chris Hoy? :P Seriously though, I read somewhere that people who cycle are likely to be as fit as someone ten years younger. Doesn't mean a cyclist can't have a heart attack or get mown down by a juggernaut though. But at least we have fun.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    It sounds as if you would be oK on the trike.....just be careful getting on.
    I've never actually seen one except in pics......dont swing your leg over it to get on.
    I used my mobility scooter on the Sat....I came out of hospital on the Mon {after 3 days} but I had to sit on it sideways and bring both legs round together. Then now twisting or bending forward.
    I envy you the trike.....I really fancy one....my balance is bad now with spinal problems as well as arthur and I doubt that I could ride a bike any longer...and stay on it :lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • wheeltrim
    wheeltrim Member Posts: 1
    Hi scribbler , I had a T.H.R June 2010 , I am back to work , and free from PAIN !!! I would recommend it if you need it . as the other posts have said - do the exercises , ask the physio about how much you can do .