Cannot believe my ears!

Options
katekelly
katekelly Member Posts: 975
edited 25. Oct 2012, 03:53 in Community Chit-chat archive
Is anyone else listening to Radio 2? I cannot believe the conversation. Not only do we now have to work to a later age but some ejit has decided that it would be a good idea for 'young pensioners' to look after 'old pensioners' and if they don't do this then their pension should be docked!! I can't believe that this 'idea' would even be considered. If it wn't for the fact that it's October I'd think it was an April fool! So now working for the guts of 50 years isn't enough you have got to keep going until you get into your box! I am incensed!!! I have spent years looking after/ bringing up my own children and no doubt in years to come my Grandchildren too how dare some 'oik'tell me that I should be looking after someone else and cleaning up after them to get what is rightfully mine anyway. Obviously this a man who has never cleaned a baby's bum or got up in the night and walked the floor for hours on end with a screaming toddler and knows what sheer exhaustion is. When this man has done all this then tell him he's got to do exactly the same for an elderly person he doesn't know! It's hard enough doing it for your own for love but almost impossible to do with a smile for a stranger! The floor is open folks!

Comments

• fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Kate

I agree with you .They need to sort out the peeps that don't wanna work but still get benefits .It frightens me not knowing what is going to happen to me when i am not able to work anymore .

Fowls
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    I am only gonna say one word B*****KS :x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    There has been talk about pensioners being paid to look after grandchildren as a top up to the pension (I know a few pensioners who already do look after GD's on a regular basis).

The pension pot is expected to be under stress as the population ages so they are looking at ways to cut the cost by continueing to raise the pension age and with more means tested linked benefits.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    I caught a wee bit of that story Kate - not much as I was having my hair done.

OUTGRAGIOUS!!! They are pretty busy anyway helping their kids look after Grand-kids so we have a workforce.

I am disgusted - they haven't suggested that 'younger' unemployed people should do such work I notice..... :roll: Easy target.

I do understand that the misconception that we have 'saved' through our taxes for our pension is just that - a misconception. Those who are working now are paying for pensioners now , so as Elizabeth says as more of us live longer those on benefits/pensions will put a larger and larger strain on the budget :(

Did you hear that last lady? She was brilliant!! She said it as she saw it didn't she?
    :D
    Love

Toni xx

Ps not sure I want to some old man looking after me either...... I already have one :oops:
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    They would have to pay the 'younger' unemployed to care for the elderly and they don't want to do that.

It shouldn't be that anyone unemployed or claiming a pension takes over these roles- they should be created and paid as proper jobs in the first place.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein