Update on Ill health Retirement

maria09
maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
Hi
Everything has ground to a halt
I have not been told no but they want to review me in 4months as they feel I will improve!!!
Its 6 months since my foot surgery & Similar for starting sulfasalazine with no improvement
Maybe they are expecting a miracle to happen!!!!
Or saving some money till they have to give me my pension!
Cynical or what!
Im seeing my Orthopaedic Consultant on tues & then Rheumatologist the week after so will see if they can offer some advice
My GP is brilliant & totally on my side she is positive on the outcome so Im feeling slightly more positive
Will keep you all posted
Best wishes
Maria

Comments

• yaris
    yaris Member Posts: 96
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi whot tier penision they going to put you on I have same problem with my knee been off 9 months got my next warning long term sick in October before they get rid of me
  • maria09
    Tier 1 I was hoping for as the other 1 is hard to get!!!
    All my joints are affected
    Its a difficult descision to make going down the ill health route & they dont make it easy!
    Ive had OA for 9yrs & last 3 ive struggled with even though I only work 2 days a week but my job is both physically & mentally demanding & getting breaks is not easy so I get no rest in the 8hrs I work.
    I also had a written warning 3yrs ago I even went to appeal but when they dont understand the fact I have pain in varying degrees 24/7 whats the point!!!!
    I hope things improve for you
    If I can help in any way just let me know
    Keep strong
    Maria
  • yaris
    yaris Member Posts: 96
    Thank you x
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    I have just mamanged to get ill health retirement after nearly 4 years and all I can say is it wasn't easy in my case I nearly ended up at an industrial tribunal but in the end I got it there was so much stress involved I've still not got over it, but what I will say is I was in a union and they helped a lot I'd also keep my ears open for the word capability if you hear HR mention this owrd then you'd best get some assistance as it's a nasty little catch all piece of employment law.
  • creakybones
    creakybones Member Posts: 31
    Hello mellman01 - I ready your post with interest as I have stumbled accross this - i wont bore you with the long version of my problems buts basically work for local government - have numerous health issues plus enteropathic arthritis - been on long term sick since april - reasonable adjustment been refused - occ health support ill health retirment but ....
    it is such a minefiled - worst case scenario is they could end your employment on capability and then you dont get your pension either which for most ppl means financial suicide.
    Can you explain a bit more please - pm me if you want - thnks xx
  • maria09
    Well Im still waiting
    Now on half pay
    Visited Job Centre Plus as they needed personal infomation
    Not been in 1 for 30yrs dear dear me i hope I dont have to go there again soooo depressing
    Im depressed enough without going there!
    Will keep updating
    Hope everyone is keeping as well as they can
    Maria
  • Loulou11
    Loulou11 Member Posts: 86
    I managed to get medical retirement but it took me 11 months, then was told to claim ESA and the gave me a medical. After a 1/2 hour visit I then got a letter saying I was fit for work!!

Good luck and if your docs are supporting your application, they know you best, xxx
  • maria09
    Hi Lou
    Im claiming for ESA my god it is not easy
    How do these benefit cheats get away with it?
    Because of them us genuine cases get the 3rd degree!!!
    Ive worked for 30yrs some of these cheats have never worked why should they get my money Ive paid my dues as we all have!
    Grrrr getting mad now
    I started watching that programme with Dominic Little about Saints & Scroungers but have had to stop watching it as it made my blood boil
    Im just fed up with the whole system
    Im sick of no one believing me how bad my pain is just because i look fine & dont complain
    I tell people its like toothache in the joints & is all was there at varying degrees even with strong painkillers & they still dont get it!
    Grrrr
    Rant over
    keep warm & safe
    Maria
  • wall1409
    wall1409 Member Posts: 294
    As if we dont suffer enough, who else feels this is so dam unfair, I have worked most of my life, never claimed benefits yet now I am struggling on a daily basis can hardly walk and in constant pain. I work full time but I have to to pay morgage and bills, I'm 50 and dread the fact I have another 15 yrs of work in me or more if this government have their way. I am in a very stressful job and have to make quick decisions. My only hope is to win the lottery I think. I feel for everyone going through this xx
  • debram
    debram Member Posts: 115
    An interesting topic for me!

Ive been off work sick since Feb with Psoriatic arthritis, depression, stress, spurs , bursitis and shoulder op amoungst other things.
    After years of struggling to work ( I have worked 30 yrs and 20 with this company- a major Bank)

Oc health interviewed me in March- sent a report to my employer which included a paragraph "depending on her response to treatment she may be eligible for ill health retirement" My boss did nothing- apparently he should have invoked a formal review to apply for ERIH!

My company changed oc health companies in June- all my info tfd over.
    They interviewed me on the phone and said Id be fiT to work in Oct/Nov following recovery from my op- totally ignored PA etc. Im still sick as I now have a frozen shoulder too.

4 Weeks ago I was sent for a meeting that OH had arranged - an independent doctor was asked to see if I was fit to work- when im likely rtn and if Id be a realiable employee in the future (amoungst other things ) During the meeting he actually said I dont know how you are working and is it possible I can retire. Great I thought- someone on my side!

He submitted his report and OH wrote to me to tell me that they are NOT convinced I am incapable of work-as my PA was only diagnosed in Jan I havent been on enough treatment. He also said there is far more aggresive treatment I can be on to see if it helps!

Well I am on aggressive treatment now!-Ive had Methotrexate increased twice and as Im not responding (up to 20mg a week) they have added sulfasalazine (4 a day) my rheumi expects me to fail that too but I have to wait 3 months before the NHS says Ive tried it long enough and he can give me Humira( he HOPES it works to limit joint damage, pain and fatigue)

I was surprised at the OH response so I then paid £25 to access my OH reports under the data protection act.
    I have found that the GP who interviewed me said I wasnt fit for work- he didnt know when I could return- he would be surprised if I did rtn and that I am likely to be off again- no disability work adjustments could be made and he asked if early retirement Ill Health was more appropriate! OH chose to ignore this.

I had a covering letter with my file which said " please be aware our opinion may differ from the GP who interviewed you as we use our own expertise and any GP or medical reports already received".

I noticed in my file they had written to a dermatologist in March and my GP so I asked for compies of the replies because if they are using this info to base their decision- I wanted to know what they said.

Very suprised to be told they dont have any doctors reports- I spoke to my GP who said a report was sent in March ( I have since deterriorated).

SO WHAT HAVE THEY BASED THEIR RECOMMENDATION ON? They dont know me- they dont know Im of very good character- not someone on sick unecessarily, they dont know how much pain and disability the PA casues and how I struggle every day!
    Its a shame I was diagnosed with Psoriasis in March 2010 and he failed to check me for PA as I may have had my medication long enough then! I have been told the spurs have been forming a long time and are linked to PA- Iv'e also suffered Iritis and Euvitis since Dec 2009!

My boss rang the Oh and he told me the man who wrote the letter is a "senior doctor" and they have taken his opinion as it more valid as the one who interviewed me was a "junior" doc,

WHY SEND ME TO A JUNIOR DOCTOR IN THE FIRST PLACE- JUST TO IGNORE HIS REPORT????!!! I ask.
    I DONT THINK THEY WANT TO PAY ME A PENSION!

Im on ESA- I have low level DLA care as I cant lift pans etc- I have a blue badge- the Government recognises my disabilities but not work!

My boss says he can still apply to the trustees of the pension fund but without OH support Im fighting a losing battle!

Ive spoken to the union who advised me that " this bank is very tough on early retirement and you have to be terminal" That they have the final decision and theres nothing the union can do!

I believe all this started as a result of work stress and working 60 hrs a week- my body has finally given in!

My pay runs out in Feb and along with it the private medical benefits I have come to rely on.

Its so sad that so many of us are having the same battle! :cry:
  • mellman01
    Hello mellman01 - I ready your post with interest as I have stumbled accross this - i wont bore you with the long version of my problems buts basically work for local government - have numerous health issues plus enteropathic arthritis - been on long term sick since april - reasonable adjustment been refused - occ health support ill health retirment but ....
    it is such a minefiled - worst case scenario is they could end your employment on capability and then you dont get your pension either which for most ppl means financial suicide.
    Can you explain a bit more please - pm me if you want - thnks xx
    Hi dude well local state employers can be the worst lot but that said it doesn't mean they are going to win, your at what I call the "Mexican stand off" part of it, who blinks first though??, thing is I hope your in a union as if they stick by their guns then you could well end up out on capability but that said it's not all bad as your OC health people support you and that is very useful if they do push you out as you would then logically take them to a tribunal and I think you'd stand a fair chance of winning it as they have been obstructive as hell, your at the point of pistols at dawn only you have a full gun and they only have one bullet so don't let up or give up your nearly there, just make sure your in a union as they will pay your legal fees if it went to tribunal which I don't think it will, well unless their daft as badgers, saying that I worked in the ministry and they are the strangest bunch of idiots I'd had the misspleasure of working for.
    Anyway keep at it don't let them force you out by applying pressure you have a very good case indeed.
  • maria09
    I am sick & tired of it all :!:
    Why doesnt anyone believe how bad we all are :?:
    We all seem to have worked a long time in very difficult jobs :cry:
    They dont care :cry:
    I worked for 30yr no breaks just ill haeth in the last 10yrs I have never shirked work never claimed anything in my life & paid all my dues
    Worked when I shouldnt & for what :?:
    Except to be treated like im a benefit fraudster :?
    Dont they think Id rather work full time have a good life financially rather than reducing my hours To just 16 a week & now be in a position where through no fault of mine I physically cant do it :x
    Now i have to be assessed for benefits as i am now on half pay they should have started paying on 27th Sept & still nothing
    Whats the point any more why do i bother surely there is a rock out there i can crawl under sleep
    Sorry for been so negative im just having a pretty tough time
    Maria
  • debram
    Maria,

I'm sorry your still having a tough time and I'm praying you get support. I agree that people just dont understand. I was probably one of those people a few years ago-my mum suffered with severe arthritis and used to "moan" about it.

I didnt understand what she was goin through as I didnt have it then. I used to rub her back for her and try to "take het mind off it". How nieve I was. Only now I have it do I understand how she must have suffered. of course she wasnt "moaning" just in pain and having to tell someone sometimes.

I didnt realse how difficult it must have been to do just simple tasks. Now my family say I'm "moaning" all the time! Id like nothing better than to get back to work because if I did that would mean Im back to the old me! its almost like a bereavement-I grieve for the old me!
    I want to be able to go for long walks not struggle to get out of a chair or bed! I admire my mum for living so many years and "carrying on" I try to take a leaf out of her book. People do not understand but stay positive and carry on the battle- both with Arthritis and everything life is throwing at you. I will either be sacked or forced back to work -I hope you get the suppirt you need
  • mellman01
    I understand how you feel on this score, the thing is they want you to go away and stop hassling them so don't let them win, stick at, it make a fuss and **** what they think or say, you've got to keep fighting the buggers as much as you can, don't worry if you repeat yourself often it will make them remember what your going through, I had over 4 years of it and I got retired in the end it nearly drove me over the edge but the way I looked at it was I had no other choice it was fight or die so I stuck to my guns and it worked out OK for me thank God.
  • maria09
    Well Ive sent further information from GP
    Orthopaedic Consultant
    Occ Health Dr
    HR
    all saying I can not perform my duties & HR will terminate my contract due to the fact I cannot carry out my duties
    So Im just sitting & waiting
    Maria
  • debram
    I rang for advice from the government funded-pensions advisory service. They help people who have not been granted early retirement but feel they should have had it. They told me that unfortunately, they cant help until a decision to terminate has been made. But they can then look into see if the company was fair when making their decision.
    They told me that any decision to terminate must take into account info from the employee/gp/consultants etc to ensure fair decision.

I hope you get a favourable decision but if not maybe you can seek advice from them .

I also contacted ACAS who said once a decision terminate is made-they can help by acting as imtermediaries,dont know if this will help.

Its unfortunate that both companies and the government appear keen to keep people in work even though they are clearly iin need of help and financial support to finish work and live some sort of life!

Good luck x
    I hope the decision goes your way
  • maria09
    Hi thanks for your reply
    Ive spoken to acas very helpful and the pension advice not helpful he didn't understand what i was asking didn't understand ill health retirement or my question i wanted to tell him to listen carefully as he wasnt thought whats the point its costing me money! Rang works pension department and got answer straight away. Its worth knowing if you apply for ill health retirement before your contract is terminated then your pension will not be affected different story if you apply after termination of contract well thats with the old nhs pension scheme not sure about other pension scheme
  • maria09
    Well at last Ive got Ill health retirement tier 1
    ESA assessment is a load of rubbish
    I had a registered nurse not that a nurse is bad Im a registered nurse but
    I would have expected a medical doctor
    The questions were based on my activites of daily living not my workload
    If I was fit for work I woikd be working as I have for the past 30yrs :x
    The questions are so simlpe can i lift an empty cardboeard box well yes but if its full of Litre bags of fluids then no
    He said because i can hold a file then I can use a keyboard & mouse no I have poor dexterity in fingers have constant pain & can only use keyboard for a limited amount of time as evidence from other healthcarers have stated :x
    So my appeal is already sorted & ready to take to the job centre when the snow clears
    It is so annoying & sole destroying going through all this plus the fact they do not believe us
    Will keep you posted
    Keep strong
    Maria
  • creakybones
    creakybones Member Posts: 31
    Great news about your ill health retirement Maria - must be such a relief for you - at last one thing less to worry about.
    I too am applying for ESA and agree it is a nightmare. Don't understand the rationale either as it just doesn't account for how you actually feel - chronic illness makes you feel so lousy - dont see the relevance then of being able to lift an empty cardboard box. I also have chrons which causes all sorts of things but the questions do not account for general debility as caused by so many of these illnesses. Haven't had my assessment yet so have that little pleasure to come. To be honest I feel so down I not sure I could face it but we shall see. They probably bank on people just giving in. Good luck with your appeal - I think they generally refuse first time then you win on appeal - crazy.
    Xx
  • maria09
    Just go for it and if you need to appeal just do it.
    I think they make it impossible to pass and hope we are put off! Will let you know how I get on
    Don't let them beat you!
  • debram
    Well done Maria thats good news. Im so glad touve had a positive outcone-desipite all the hwartache!

My employers turned me down for early retirement ill health as they " dont think ive had it long enough and theres far more aggressive treatment I can go on"
    Theyve now agreed to give me 6mth off with no pay to see if I improve. I was so ill at xmas I couldnt walk and could not get to see NHS rheumi, so I payed private and had a and that consultant gave me a steroid injection that will last 6 weeks. Wow what a difference that made!

Ive seen my rehumi now and as im suffering with glossitis in the mouth and ulcers shes going to switch to methotrexate injections and discuss anti TNF treatment. Yay!

Im due to have a big op in feb for 4 prolapses (like I needed anything else to raise its ugly head!) and ive been warned I will have to come off Methx for a while to speed up recovery. Im told recovery will take 6 mths so I hope coming off it doesnt do too much damage as ive got those 6mth to get well or I know ill be out of a job. Im being positive tho Im pray with a switch in medication ill be able to work.

Regards

Deb x
  • maria09
    Thank you for your replies
    deb hope you operation is a success
    Ive just started Methotrexate I hope it works Im just dreading I get any side effects but I am taking it a week at a time
    Maria
  • maria09
    Well thats it I have just tendered my resignation
    Im officially retired now just waiting for my pension to come through
    Yippee its been a bad 4 years at work
    No more boss from hell :D
    No more struggling to do my job :D
    and no more driving 25miles to work & back
    :lol:
    Maria
  • debram
    Great news! My mum used to say-"Good things come to those who wait!"
    :lol: Its been a struggle for you to get to retirement so I hope you can now enjoy this new chapter of your life!

Regards
    Deb x :D
  • maria09
    Thank you Deb
    Its been a tough 4years but Ive got what I deserved in the end
    Now I can forget abt the evil witch of a ward manager & remember the good old days when I loved going to work
    Take care
    Maria