hip questions

katybarstool
katybarstool Member Posts: 22
edited 1. Nov 2012, 18:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

I've posted this in the hello section, but Elna suggested I might get more responses here. So, here goes:

I've been a member of this forum on and off for many years, but haven't logged in for a couple of years or so.

However, I want to pick your brains now: I have Sjogren's and OA and lots of connective tissue problems. My hip has been plaguing me for several years, but became very much worse after some bowel surgery earlier this year.

At my rheumy annual eview this week, I saw a new rheumatologist. After a very thorough examination, she give me a steroid injection for bursitis in the hip. She also offered to refer me to an ortho surgeon, as she thinks I have a high degree of wear and tear in the hip joint, and the pain is coming from 'bone-on-bone'.

I've had three major surgeries for other reasons in just about two years, and just couldn't face any more at the moment. Plus, although my work are very good, I need to get back for 12 months to build up my sick pay again. So, I asked her to put the referral on hold for now. She said she would, until my next review, but if things get worse, I have to contact the nurse helpline, and she will sort the referral.

I think I was a bit gobsmacked that she was so thorough, and so knowledgeable (she also said most of my joints are hypermobile. And spoke to me as an equal - not like my previous rheumy! Previously, I'd just been told my knees and hips were.) She's also checking out some damage in my lungs.

So, having got over the shock of more possible surgery, I thought I would come back and talk to people about hip surgery, particularly if anyone has had it done in Bradford.

Thanks
Kathy
Hi

I've been a member of this forum on and off for many years, but haven't logged in for a couple of years or so.

However, I want to pick your brains now: I have Sjogren's and OA and lots of connective tissue problems. My hip has been plaguing me for several years, but became very much worse after some bowel surgery earlier this year.

At my rheumy annual eview this week, I saw a new rheumatologist. After a very thorough examination, she give me a steroid injection for bursitis in the hip. She also offered to refer me to an ortho surgeon, as she thinks I have a high degree of wear and tear in the hip joint, and the pain is coming from 'bone-on-bone'.

I've had three major surgeries for other reasons in just about two years, and just couldn't face any more at the moment. Plus, although my work are very good, I need to get back for 12 months to build up my sick pay again. So, I asked her to put the referral on hold for now. She said she would, until my next review, but if things get worse, I have to contact the nurse helpline, and she will sort the referral.

I think I was a bit gobsmacked that she was so thorough, and so knowledgeable (she also said most of my joints are hypermobile. And spoke to me as an equal - not like my previous rheumy! Previously, I'd just been told my knees and hips were.) She's also checking out some damage in my lungs.

So, having got over the shock of more possible surgery, I thought I would come back and talk to people about hip surgery, particularly if anyone has had it done in Bradford.

Thanks
Kathy

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I also have a very good, kind rheummy. It certainly makes a difference.

You do not have to have any surgery until you feel able and ready but it sounds like you will need a THR eventually. I see my ortho surgeon every 6 months and every time they tell me I need the operation but I'm trying to time it to suit my families needs. However the pain is bad now and I am aiming for sooner rather than later.

You could see the ortho and see what he thinks about your hip. He should listen to your very good reasons for holding off the operation, he might advise you to go ahead to alleviate your pain but he can't make you.

all the best with the lungs too

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I've had two THRs but never had to make a decision about them - one was broken and the other as good as for what I could do on it. I'd no problems at all and will do it all again as and when necessary. However, I don't have Sjogrens and my OA is due to the RA. Good news about your new rheumatologist.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • katybarstool
    Thanks for your comments.

I was shocked to find that, even though my appointment was only last Thursday, I've already had an appointment come through for the cardio-respiratory department at the hospistal for 14 November. I have the lung and hip x-rays on Wednesday.

It's a good job I don't work Wednesdays, as the next three are earmarked for doctor and hospital appointments. I sometimes wonder where I find time to go to work. Anyone else feel the same?

Kathy
  • stickywicket
    I haven't worked for a long time, Kathy, but it's good that your appointments are through quickly. I hope they go well.
    Steven Wright
  • wall1409
    wall1409 Member Posts: 294
    Yes Kathy, I am still working full time, god knows how. My hip is locking and giving me a lot of jip but xray showed it was fine so they think its the OA of the spine causing it, hopefully MRI will show things clearer. I love this forum and really pleased I found as I no longer feel alone in this xx
  • katybarstool
    It's amazing how pain from one site in the body can refer to another area, isn't it?

I don't think that the steroid injection has improved my outer hip. In fact, it feels hot - although it doesn't look red or inflamed. However, it feels uncomfortable all the time now. Let's hope it improves soon.

Tomorrow is the xray day, so I should know more soon.

Thank you for your replies.

Kathy
  • stickywicket
    I hope it goes well for you. Please keep us updated.
    Steven Wright
  • katybarstool
    Hi

I had the x-rays today and had the chance of looking at the xrays (the radiographer was asking about the staples she could see from previous bowel surgery). My right hip is the sore one, and I could see that the top of the ball joint of that hip looked as if it had been bitten. The radiographer couldn't comment, so I guess I will have to wait and see what the rheumy says at the next visit.

I don't know if it's my imagination or not, but my hip has been quite sore since the steroid injection last week. Anyone else had this?

Kathy
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I've only had steroid injections into my knees and yes, they make them sore for a while after. When you think about it it's not surprising, joints were not designed to be 'pressure washed' with medication. I hope things ease soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Katy
    I am lucky in a way, I am retired, but I have to have both my hips replaced, unlike you I have never had major surgery, I can certainly understand you wanting to put things off for a while,I think you will have to listen to your body and see if you are up to having it done later...I do hope its works out for you like this.
    I get the referred pain in my knees, but also have OA in one knee, it is more complex than you think, I am also having to wait to see how much of the pain is coming from my back.... :roll:
    I do wish you well with everything xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • katybarstool
    Barbara

Thank you! How long have you been waiting to have your hips seen to? To be honest, I've had hip problems for years - sometimes they were very painful, but other times, fine. It's only since my last bowel surgery that the pain has been with me every day. I think I must have been in a particularly difficult position whilst it was done, and that was the final straw.

Do you find driving painful? I can barely walk by the time I've driven the ten or so miles to work. I also found it very difficult to walk after I swam for a few minutes in the sea in September. It seems to have come on with a vengeance.

Kathy
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Kathy
    Its over 3 years since I went to a consultant with my knee, he had my hips xrayed, and I was shocked to find the pain was from my hip,they offered me a THR going off the xrays, then they decided to MRI my back, and I was shocked to find there are quite few probs there, so on seeing another consultant he said the pain could be coming from my lumber..even though my hips show bone on bone ...so I am still in the confused state...they did injections in my spine..and I have had injections in my hips and also a camera to see what was going on....none of the injections worked....so I am still waiting...sorry I rambled a bit there xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • katybarstool
    Barbara

That sounds awful. How on earth have you managed for the last three years?

At my appointment, I was offered Tramadol. I refused for now, as I already take Celecoxib, amitriptline and a bucket load of other things for my Sjogren's and lung problems. I will take it in the future, if I have to, but need to keep my head as clear as I can for work.

Kathyx