People!

Nicchick
Nicchick Member Posts: 191
edited 1. Nov 2012, 13:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
Just a bit fed up with people right now!

At the weekend OH (RA and ankle fusion - fully fledged BB holder despite being a handsome, young and very dashing man) and I were challenged by an older couple - told us that 'they are checking up on people like us so watch out' how very dare they!

Fella did say it was lucky for them he was feeling a bit under the weather or he would have been more animated! It was amusing to see their faves as I stumbled out with me stick....old boy then said 'oh that's ok, you have a stick' and I told him that the Blue Badge wasn't mine......

As OH says, the blue badge doesn't just get awarded to old people - cancer treatment warriors get them too and arthritis peeps come in all ages, sizes and colours!

Some other stuff has annoyed me too but it will hold..........

Nic x

Comments

• Nicchick
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    *faces* not *faves* #fatfingers obv!
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    These smart phones aren't as smart as they think they are.Mig
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    book by cover comes to mind like busses they think the front seats are for them but well it for all of us who struggle but when you look so normal they do not get it mum moves quicker and better than me lol but she would not look out of line. my dad can not have badge he can walk to far he can not even get out of house at moment grrrrrrr val
    val
  • Nicchick
    Can't even blame a smart phone Mig as I am hi-jacking OH's laptop right now as mine is in for repair, I have found that the ends of my finger are no longer where I expect them to be which leads to a load of typos - sometimes amusing ones!

Neither the folks or friends can believe that anyone would be brave enough to tackle us as we are usually a feisty pair, both a bit under the weather and feeling fragile as we had dared to go out the previous evening :-/

My Pa won't even apply for a BB as he's convinced he'd get turned down despite being unable to walk far at all, I'm working on him! Parents eh Valval? Hope your pa improves :)

Nx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Ah, old people, one day we will be old and just like them. :wink: I daresay this was the type of elderly couple who glare at you as you park next to them but then they trot happily into the supermarket, not a stick in sight. I know BBs are given for many conditions but I do think they should be for those of restricted mobility ONLY. There's a reason why we need to park closer to entrances. Laziness ain't one of 'em. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Don't get me started on rude old people!! GGGGGRRRRR! :x
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    oh, them types eh? Make my blood boil. There are so many around here with BB's who really don't need them, and I'm certain they get em just cos they're old.. All summer long they're quite comfortable gardening and washing the cars of a sunday afternoon.. I can't remember the last time I was fit enough to wash a car or comfortably garden.. :x
    I'm waiting for the day when one of them dare question my badge.. I'm usually a fairly placid bloke but certain things are the exception to the rule..
    It's very very rare that I can even walk around the shops these days. As a couple of dear friends in here know, I'm known for being sat in car parks. :shock: Hang on, that could come across as rather strange :?
    What I mean is (gets shovel out.. Starts to dig himself out of hole) most of the time we go shopping I have to wait in the car..
    Right, I hope that's cleared that up lol....
    Oh DD, the sprightly ones eh? Gggrrrrrrrr... They're always the worst. With their smug working limbs :x
    I think I'd better stop now before the old spleen erupts haha.. :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Ah, old people, one day we will be old and just like them. :wink: I daresay this was the type of elderly couple who glare at you as you park next to them but then they trot happily into the supermarket, not a stick in sight. I know BBs are given for many conditions but I do think they should be for those of restricted mobility ONLY. There's a reason why we need to park closer to entrances. Laziness ain't one of 'em. DD

I think they are on the whole. However, friend of mine, who had terminal cancer, had one and it was a lifeline for her. She often felt very weak from chemo and it was a struggle to get out and get to her appointments. She couldn't use public transport as she felt so ill most of the time and was in pain. Sometimes people look well when they are not. Restricted mobility can be caused by heart disease, lung disease and other conditions where your limbs might work reasonably well but other things don't so well and that is equally disabling. Those of us with arthritis don't have a monopoly on being disabled!
  • gilly1957
    gilly1957 Member Posts: 212
    I dont have a car or a blue badge, but i do sometimes sit in the front seats on the bus, i feel awkward when i do but sometimes i have to....

and the looks i get make it even worse and can make me feel very uncomiftable, I'm just waiting for someone to comment.......they better hope im in a good mood lol
  • Nicchick
    I do agree with Salamander that we don't have the monopoly on restricted movement and that's why I get so cross with my Pa! He can only walk a little way without having to stop for breath and last year he broke a rib breathing as his bones are so weak after using steroids for a lung problem in the eighties - Sarcoidosis, which I have only just found out is also an auto-immune disease, came across it during my googlings!

It's the snap judgements that annoy me! The OH and I have a laugh when we are out and about, you have to or you'd cry! He's a bit vain so will bravely hobble rather than rely on a stick but he did produce one in this instance and did it in the manner of a magician with a flourish!

You do make me laugh Tony, I now have an image of you sitting in various car parks people watching!

I use the front seats on the bus too Gilly but as I'm pretty wobbly even on flat ground people never have a problem with it - I'm a pretty shambolic sight most of the time!

Having an early night as OH has football training, he manages a local team, and he's lent me his laptop for the evening (and all day today!) so I can get some work done but I am pooped after a busy day at work and feel cold because of that...

Happy Halloween for all those who celebrate it!

Nx
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Couldn't agree more about snap judgements and have to admit I am much less judgemental myself since getting RA. As you show yourself, it's impossible to know someone else's circumstances.
  • Rewter
    Rewter Member Posts: 77
    Oh I know the types :x

I was given a Blue Badge in my late twenties. Young slim bloke, spikey hair, nice car and no wheel chair or stick, just a dodgy limp and a lot of face pulling from pain.

The amount of hassle, comments and embarresment caused from these people, sometimes in front of a number of bystanders, was too much. It actually drove me out of using my BB and I have gone for a few years now having the inconvenience of getting my Mrs to drop me off while she parks up somewhere else. It also meant I could hardly go anywhere on my own as I could not park up in a normal space and get out of the car. I had shot myself in my own foot.

I am slightly older now and due to a few comments and support form a few people on here, a little wiser and now have full support of my GP who will write to the coucil to make sure I get a BB if I have any complications. Plus, nice cars are no longer a priority in my life ( a caring partner and mortgage put pay to that ) so thats one red rag less to wave at the bulls who reside in the disabled parking spots.
  • Nicchick
    We were just both a bit taken aback by it all Rewter, OH was 'struck down' in his twenties so has had it all along! We are both jolly peeps and try to make the best of everything really - people have even said that they had no idea how ill I was as I was always so smiley (my fault that they can't hear apparently!) but who on earth wants to talk to a misery? 'How are you?' is a greeting, not a question after all!

I've had a very stiff day today, one of those ones where you can't sit for too long, can't stand for too long, can't get about easily....pah!

OH is home and about to thank me for his amazingly lovely shooting stick that arrived today, he has re-named it his football stick - it may give us back Sundays....

:) Nx