Itchy

Options
wall1409
wall1409 Member Posts: 294
edited 1. Nov 2012, 05:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Folks I am getting really itchy usually when I go to bed but sometimes during the day its itchy but like a stinging pain as if I've been in nettles. Does anyone else get this?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm always itchy but that's due to skin troubles. Have you checked any of your tablet leaflets to see if this is a side effect of something? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    It's not just due to dry skin is it? I've had to grease my legs daily since going on meth.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • wall1409
    Options
    Had this prior to meds, did mention it to rheumi but its getting worse, I,m making my skin bleed.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    That's not good - are you able to chat to a pharmacist about this? They know a lot about meds and side effects, they might suggest an anti-histamine or something. Sticky makes a good point about moisturising - do you do that? DD
  • wall1409
    Options
    Could be worth a go, good job hubby sleeps well, I must scratch even when I'm asleep as I wake up all marked.

Wendy
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    You should see your GP as itching can be a symptom of so many things, as can dry skin. Also, they will prescribe the best ointment/cream for you.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    When I was aged between 5 and 9 my mum used to smother me in olive oil, wrap me up in crepe bandages like a mummy and tie cotton mittens on my hands so I couldn't scratch in the night. It was hell because I still felt itchy and couldn't get at any of the itchy bits. This was back in the dark ages of the mid 1960s when little could be done to help. Are you still able to take a bath? If so add salt because that can help relieve skin irritations - my top-to-toe eczema used to clear up when I'd been for a dip in the briny; it stung though. Ye gods, I couldn't gain without pain somewhere - now it's all pain without gain. :lol: DD
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Options
    Hi Wendy,

I use E45 to sort out dry and itchy skin, though I'm sure DD's olive oil works a treat too! Alternatively, is your washing machine working properly, rinsing all your clothes through? I once had a very itchy reaction to powder left in my bedclothes.

Hope you feel more comfortable soon!
    Phoebe
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • lazicat
    lazicat Member Posts: 177
    Options
    Ive been experiencing that too , now I know whats causing it. Thanks - this forum is so helpful. I expect its something else we just have to put up with !
  • wall1409
    Options
    Update, GP said its Hives and not caused by meds as this started prior to meds, he's checking bloods again as they keep fluctuating and he still believes this is an auto immune problem.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Really? I'm surprised. I've had hives, alias nettlerash (nothing to do with nettles) a couple of times in my life. I think it is an allergic reaction to something but mine came up in huge blotches which subsided as quickly as they arose. I hope yours goes soon.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • wall1409
    Options
    Yes sticky had this since about the middle of August
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh dear, so many things can cause this type of skin reaction - my early childhood eczema was caused by vitamin C which is present in so many foods. Later things such as bio-detergent, artificially-perfumed skin products and lanolin added their weight to life's general discomfort. Tracking the cause for this is not easy but I hope you can soon find the culprit. Did the GP say anything about anti-histmaine tablets? DD
  • salamander
    Options
    wall1409 wrote:
    Update, GP said its Hives and not caused by meds as this started prior to meds, he's checking bloods again as they keep fluctuating and he still believes this is an auto immune problem.

if you google 'hives and auto immune' it pops up straight away. It's a good thing if not the meds as at least you can go on taking them I suppose :)
  • wall1409
    Options
    I'm on a double dose of cetirizine and if it works and bloods are ok I need to see him in 4 weeks to monitor its progress. The things we go through, must admit, I'm probably like most of you on here, the meds are pretty crap anyway, pain dullers!!

Wendy
  • salamander
    Options
    Fingers crossed. Nothing worse than being itchy!