Fake Coins.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 1. Nov 2012, 10:30 in Community Chit-chat archive
I've just been sorting through a huge pile of cash which has accumulated in my purse and found fifteen - yes, fiftteen - one pound coins (no wonder I felt rich with my heavy purse!) On checking them five are fake. A third. Ye gods.

The banks even hand them out as they only check by weight and that is pretty easy to get right. If you want to know what to look for it's the writing - or lack of it - round the edge of the coin that separates the two faces.

So, what do I do with them now? Hand them in or keep passing on them on? I've been cheated so do I cheat in return? What would be the point in handing them in? There must be millions of them out there so my five won't make any difference. I cannot decide if this is a moral dilemma or not. My inner angel says yes, my inner devil says no.

Daisy says - I dunno. :? DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    That is shocking DD
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    put them in a bandit if you win then it ment to be if you loose well wont matter do not fetch them to our shop
    val
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Are you sure they're fake? I checked it out on the Royal Mint site and this is how they tell you to spot a fake:

•The date and design on the reverse do not match (the reverse design is changed each year). A list of designs and dates is available here.

•The lettering or inscription on the edge of the coin does not correspond to the right year.

•The milled edge is poorly defined and the lettering is uneven in depth, spacing or is poorly formed. The obverse and reverse designs are not as sharp or well defined.

•Where the coin should have been in circulation for some time, the colouring appears more shiny and golden and the coin shows no sign of age.

•The colour of the coin does not match genuine coins.

•The orientation of the obverse and reverse designs is not in line.

Also, the 'bridge design' coins (2004-2008) don't have lettering on the side. They have a kind of diamond pattern instead.

What would I do with a fake? I'd like to believe I was an honest person so honesty compels me to admit I'd probably pass it on.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Sorry afraid I would probably have to pass them on, after all someone has passed them to me xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    Sorry, should have made it clear - the thing at the end about the ones with a bridge design isn't about fakes. These are genuine.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh Sticky, no wonder the fakes are plentiful! :wink: How much notice does anyone take of the coins they are given? My 'fakes' dont' have anything round the rim and fully comply with your thrid point so I think they are false coins. Talk about making an easy living. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Shall we? (Make an easy living?) There must be instructions somewhere on the net. There always is. Alchemy, here we come.
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    They may not work in the slot machines Val, the weight is sometimes wrong too..

You could always bag them up in the correct amounts for the bank bags, I know they weigh them but they don't usually take them out of the bags and check individual coins?
    It would be a risk, they MAY check and would probably confiscate them, but, they are worthless anyway??

I dunno hun..

Either that or give them to a charity you don't agree with (I could name a few :shock: ), lol (laughs a devilish laugh MWAHHHAAHHAAAAAARRR)
    :wink:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Hi DD

I had one in my purse the other day , i spent it on food :shock: some one once told me there are so many fake ones in the system they were being ignored :?: , so just spend them back into the system .

Fowls xx

Crikey i have never had that many though it is shocking .
  • stickywicket
    On a serious note, fake coins cause inflation so we all suffer when they remain in circulation. It is a genuine, modern-day moral dilemma and a really tough one. I am tempted not to look too closely at mine in future but that is just a cop-out.
    Steven Wright