any fellow dog owners on here - how do you cope ?

gayebrown
gayebrown Member Posts: 16
Hi I've recently been diagnosed with severe RA and am waiting for a knee replacement. I am 53 and until recently was pretty active doing lots of walking, already 8 weeks down the line I am struggling and am scared how quickly things have got worse. Is there anyone in the same boat, I don't want to give my dogs up ever, but am starting to wonder how I will ever cope, especially when I have my op ...

Comments

• arfaitis
    arfaitis Member Posts: 155
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Can you tell us something about your dogs, do they walk nicely off the lead, are they boisterous etc. how many?
    My dog was excellent when I came out of hospital, she seemed to know and understand, train them as much as you can now, use a stick to walk with and see what they do.

Arfa
  • gayebrown
    they are a Wesstie and a Scottie, I already walk with a stick most times and they are good with that. I also have a mobility scooter that I use sometimes (got it to get to work to save my legs for dog walking !) they love running with that. They are good off lead, but most walks these days are round the roads (: I have a tiny garden and the Scottie won't go there anyway . They are used to 3 hour long walks 3 times a day, longer at weekends. I doubt I'll be doing that for a while when I have my op :lol:
  • wall1409
    wall1409 Member Posts: 294
    I know how you feel I feel like this hit me like a bullat, just turned 50 and been struggling last 18 months with pain and poor mobility mainly due to pain, I used to love walking my dogs but cant anymore, I have a greyhound called Fagan and a bedlington/whippet called Elsa. Might try with my mobility scooter but not sure how they would walk on leads next to it.
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Hi

I have 2 small pomms They are menaces fortunately they do not need much walking and my garden is a nice size .Could you not get in touch with a dog walking company , just untill you have had your operation .Sorry i have not been of much help.

Fowls
  • skinnydog
    skinnydog Member Posts: 5
    Hi ,I am due to have knee replacement next month and have finally given in and stopped my very physically demanding jobs until then. I have a greyhound who is brilliant and trots along gently beside me and when I had my last knee op and was on crutches she was such a sweetheart.So gentle (typical of the breed). However, as I am on my own she had to stay with friends for the first couple of weeks and when she came home I arranged for a dog walker once a day to give her a good long walk. She came with me to get the paper in the morning and for a short walk later in the day - it was good for me as part of my recovery and physio.It also made me get out and about and gave me something else to think about other than myself and gave me a structure to the day.
    Try and find a dog walker and get them started before your op so its familiar for them or maybe someone who could take them in for the day - "doggie daycare!" Many dog walkers will board them in their own homes too, much kinder than kenneling.Dogs are really understanding , as long as they are with you, warm, fed & loved I'm sure all of you will be fine! All the best. Skinnydog
  • gayebrown
    thanks for the advice. I do already have a great dog walker but can't afford £14/day ! have contacted the Scottish Terrier Emergency charity and they will foster my 2 for a few weeks if and when I have my op. We went to meet them on Monday . Have decided to cut out long walks and have more shorter ones instead ! it is getting harder though ...
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    My two very lively dallies always understand when I'm bad and can bring themselves to cease their incessant pulling for however long it takes for me to be well again. Not sure if my voice changes or what but they listen and respond accordingly. All that fails with my husband's dog who doesn't give a damn and just pulls like mad.
    When I really struggle I tend to drive to a field, get them through the gate and then either walk slowly whilst they run or stand by the gate whilst they scoot off. It isn't as much fun as a proper dog walk but we all get what we need out of it. A ball can reduce the need for walking but then if I threw a ball for my eldest dog he wouldn't know what to do and I'd have to walk to fetch it for him.
    I also sometimes make the most of other friends with dogs, I find my dogs get more exercise if they are part of a pack so I team up with somebody and go for a joint walk, that way, you don't have to go as far.
    Good luck, I really hope things go OK for you.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • gayebrown
    thanks everyone. I have found a new home for my Scottie, quite by accident really - he is going back to the people I got him from as a puppy. They have children aged 9 and 10. live near a beach and I am hoping and praying he will love it. They are coming for him weekend after next :cry: I am keeping my Westie as she is coping with a lot less exercise and will run after a ball in the park, whereas my boy is missing his long, long walks. Legs seem to be getting worse every day - and the felt one has started now. The aching is in the higher part of my legs rather than my knees and is a new sensation, it's been suggestesd that it is due to me using different musclse as I am not walking properly. Seeing the physio later so will ask him. The Anti inflammatories are useless ! It's been a horrible week, broke my heart about my boy leaving, but think is best for him. I hate this disease taking over my lfe !
  • lynnhb
    lynnhb Member Posts: 62
    I have exactly the same problem. My whippet x Labrador (my husband insists he is a Dingo) has a wonderful nature & is extremely loving; however walking with him is difficult. When we got him (my idea) I was ready to walk walk walk. Then my knees got worse until I couldn't do that. We live near the sea so the beach in winter is ideal as is the common in summer. But I had no time to train him before I got bad so he is a 'puller' & I lost my confidence. On the beach it would be great if I could let him off lead. He chases other dogs though & I can't move far or fast enough to get him back. I feel so embarrassed as dog walking and making sure my dogs behaved were always my way of life.
    I had a dog walker for a while, but at a cost. My husband walks the dog now & I feel awful because I only work part time & my husband works full time plus does the shopping, cooking & dog walking. I do other tasks but not as much as I want to do.
    For the first time in the 6 or 7 years since I got bad I really felt 'disabled' recently when a colleague said he was meeting another colleague on the beach as they walk their dogs together & let them run. I could have cried. I love my dog so much I felt he is missing out. So am I!
    I have to keep telling myself that because he is such a nervous dog it is good we took him in & give him a good home because a lot of people might have given up on him in the early stages when he wrecked things.
    Oooh! It makes me so mad that I can't do it. I tell myself I can & try then the pain hits. It's easy to say 'work through the pain - that is not always possible. :oops: :(:cry:
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Ive only just seen this post....i believe there are organisations/charities that walk dogs for people - if i can remember or find some infor i will post it up!
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    I have found the info- the cinnamon trust website, walks dogs for elderly etc...hope this is useful for peeps
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    I am not lucky enough to have a dog I just have an old tom cat who I love dearly however one thing that all the posts in this thread have in common is that it screams that all these dogs are loved dearly, and that means so much to any dog.

A dog is proud to be with his owner when he is well cared for and shown love and kindness, please do not beat yourselvs up so much about the walks, Your dog loves you and wants to be part of you family and please you, he will adapt to changes in his routine, and in his own little way will understand that you are doing what you can.
  • ouchmyfoot
    ouchmyfoot Member Posts: 14
    Hi,I am a newbie here,I have a soon to be 3yr old Jack Russell I work as a House Manager in a retirement home (residential) she has had her walks cut down,since my diagnosis of severe OA with cysts and spurs .my foot has completly collapsed inside apparently,but I have her doing things stimulating her to play more,hubby takes her for longer walks after work.the soon adapt.I have a great doggy walker for when we are away we are in Pinner area. (If anyone needs her details let me know)But it can be expensive,I worried about her fitness and neighbours have invited Darcy to play lol so she tears around their gardens when offered the chance.It is so hard but she adapts to new things quickly and is learning to be more calm when I take her out aircast boot on and stick :)