Work and Arthritis

Options
Andrew305
Andrew305 Member Posts: 3
I am new to the forum. Can you advise if work is a factor in the on set of arthritis. I am a 53 year old who has done manual type jobs at the start of my working life, progressed to a period of office based work and I am now a jobbing gardener. I had pain in my hands about 17 years go which was identified as arthritis, this came and went for many years. Pain has now returned more consistently, is spreading and getting worse. I now have pain in my hands, wrists, elbows, shoulders, back and feet. Despite taking NSAIDS it is preventing me from working. If I knock my hand, even quite gently I experience pain. Is the spreading normal and why so rapidly this year? Is the pain when knocked normal? Vibration from power tools appears to affect me quite severely, is this normal? Sorry for so many questions!

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Andrew

Thanks for your posting and sorry to hear about the difficulities you are having with the pain in different parts of your body.

Work can be a contributory factor in developing arthritis, particularly if you do repetitive manual work, as this can put a strain on different joints.

If you have arthritis in your hands then the vibration from a power tool could certainly cause pain and osteoarthritis can spread to different joints.

For more informaion on Living with osteoarthritis and Coping with pain you can see our booklets at http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets and on osteoarthritis in the hands at http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Factsheets/main_content/OAhandfactsheet2012.pdf.

It may be worth going back to your GP and explain what is happenning and you could ask for a referral to a physiotherapist, as they could help with things like exercises to strengthen the muscles around the joints.

Please give us a ring on 0808 800 4050 if you would like to have a chat about things.

All the best

Nick
    Helplines Team
  • Andrew305
    Andrew305 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Nick,

Thanks for the reply, I have already read the booklets you linked to, both very informative.

Andrew
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I am a forum member so can't really answer on this part of the forum. If you re-post again on the Lliving with Arthritis you may garner some more replies from people who have been similarly affected. I know why I have mine and it's not work-related but some others on here may be in a similar boat to you. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben