New user - hello to you all!

strugglinggamer
strugglinggamer Member Posts: 3
edited 21. Nov 2012, 06:59 in Say Hello Archive
Hi!
I'm Robbie and I'm currently suffering with 'medically undiagnosed symptoms' - although I joined this forum in the hope of getting in touch with people who have trouble with their hands and feet, and how they manage to continue using a pc or (where applicable) play games. I've been a computer/game geek a long time! :D

I have off-and-on pain and swelling in my right hand (joints, especially middle finger) and constant pain, swelling in both feet (plantar fascia, achilles tendon, top of foot). I've tested negative for RA, although it's in my mums family, and no signs yet of OA. I walk slowly with 2 elbow crutches.

I'm married and have a 10 week old little boy, my wife & son are amazing :)

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Robbie. It's good to meet you.

There is voice software for PCs. I think it takes a bit of getting used to but saves the fingers. Whether or not you could use it to play games I have no idea.

You say you've tested negative for RA but it is in your Mum's family. Have you seen a rheumatologist because, if not, you should. There are sero-negative versions of this auto-immune dross and, if you have one, you should be taking the right medication to slow down the process.

Congratulations on the little fellow!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • ShulaArcher
    ShulaArcher Member Posts: 174
    Hi Robbie

I have osteoarthritis in my hands and use voice recognition software (Dragon) most of the time. I've had times in my life when I've spent hours on games and also just using the computer keyboard for far too long. I used to teach students and always advised them to have regular short breaks away from a screen and keyboard, sit correctly on an adjustable chair, etc. Alas, I didn't always follow my own advice.

I've only been using Dragon for a few weeks but find good things about it every time I use it. It didn't take long at all to train it to recognise my voice, although it sometimes writes the most ridiculous thing (v amusing if I'm in the right mood!).

Hope this is useful. Congratulations to you and your wife on the little one.

Shula
  • ketysmith
    ketysmith Member Posts: 4
    Hello from me Robbie, I wish you all the best in the forum!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Robbie
    I have OA im my hands my left one is the worst, I find using a splint can help, if you have a physio they should give you them..if not you ask to be referred, I have just had an injection in my hand ..it has worked wonders, I was really shocked because I have had them in my back and hips and they didnt work...so you ask about them.
    Sorry meant to say welcome to the forum x
    Love
    Barbara
  • strugglinggamer
    strugglinggamer Member Posts: 3
    thank you everyone for the welcome and the hints, they're very much appreciated.
    I've made a new appt with my GP to check that the rheumatologist I saw checked for sero-negative versions of RA.

again, thanks!
  • flutterbi
    flutterbi Member Posts: 6
    Welcome, I am new to this forum myself, but they seem a friendly bunch and full of helpful tips.

Hope you get some answers from docs.
    Flutterbi εiз
  • Trayce
    Trayce Member Posts: 110
    Welcome