I DISPAIR PLEASE HELP

belleboo
belleboo Member Posts: 2
Hi, I need advice please. I have been suffering with Ostio Arthritis in both of my knees for some years now and has gradually got alot worse even though i have taken doctors advice and lost nearly two stone in weight. More recently doctor told me after i went to see him with pain in tops of feet and across toes that i now have it in my feet also, he gave me some painkillers to help with pain but didnt help much. I work as a care worker in a residential home and it has become so much busier now and i work 4 nights a week 10 hour shifts at a time with not much time to rest we are constantly on the go and im really struggling and dread going to work. I know deep down that im unable to do this job anymore but like most people im so worried about not having a wage, my husband and I would struggle and could not cope if i had no job. Ive looked for another job but there are none out there not that i could do as it would need to be a job sitting down mostly. I dont know if id get disability benefits because i dont know how bad you hae to be but to be honest im at my wits end worrying about how much longer i can cope with doing my job, i know if i tell doctor he will want to sign me off. Each time i do a shift i struggle with the walking and am in pain and discomfort for days afterwards. if anyone out there knows more than me on this subject and how much help and support i could get then please help, i dont know where else to turn. Im now on my busiest week of my 2 week rota which means ie got four nights to do at work, just want to sit and cry at the thought of it :-(

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh belleboo, no wonder you are struggling so much, your job sounds to be entirely unsuitable for your current health predicament. I am so sorry, I cannot help in any practical way mainly because I am self-employed but there must be another form of work which would be better suited to your needs. I have OA in my knees and ankles and an auto-immune arthritis which affects other joints and life is tough at times. I think your best move would be to go your CAB and chat things over with them, including benefits. They may well be able to give you help in applying for DLA for example. There is also the helpline run by AC, that is a free phone call and they are very good listeners - they may also be able to help with information and advice. Take care and I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    I'm so sorry you are upset by the work you are doing. It does seem a lot to do. Is it possible to cut your hours maybe, or just to work days? Do you employers know how hard it is for you? I've found this http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/Employmentsupport/LookingForWork/DG_4000324 for you. They might be able to help you find a more suitable job. The AC helpline will probably be able to point you in the right direction. Hope you are managing to rest when you can.
    Christine
  • petals
    petals Member Posts: 217
    Hi belle

I am in exactly the same position as you and I sympathise greatly with you. This is what I have done.

I applied for DLA after being encouraged by members on this site (thank you all) and I have just been awarded the lowest level care and nothing for mobility.

I was very reluctant after seeing the amount of paperwork to make my claim, but, I am so glad I did because althought the amount of DLA is very small, this means I can now reduce my working hours to 16 (hopefully 3 six hour shifts) and then claim working tax credits to top it up.

I have yet to talk to my employer about reducing my hrs but I think this will be ok with them.

By the way, I did not attend a medical they just wrote to my GP and then made their decision.

I can't tell you how relieved I am.

I dont know you circumstances so don't know if this would suit your needs but I do know that if I carried on working the hours I currently work then I would make myself worse.

(see my earlier posts on this matter)

Good luck Belle, I hope you find a solution

Petals x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    I am so sorry you are struggling so much :?

I have done residential work over the years and totally understand how hard the work is....

You woudl loose nothing at all in visiting CAB for some advice re applying for DLA? Like Petals you might just be successful :?

Love

Toni xxx
  • howellandrew
    howellandrew Member Posts: 15
    I have sympathy with you and hope you recover from the pain.
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    How are you doing Belle? Are things any better?
    Christine
  • Mumof1
    Mumof1 Member Posts: 42
    Hi how are you doing?

I do feel for you, I used to work in a hospital doing three, 12 hour shifts, in the end it became too much so I had to leave.
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Hi Belle
    I know what you are going through
    Im a staff nurse on a busy ward & its so bad now i have been off sick 6months well 7 now & fighting to get some benefits that im entitled to from 27th Sept & still nothing!!
    Going for an assessment on the 6th so who knows!!!!
    Im also going down the ill heath pensions route & thats a nightmare They want to wait till december to see if i improve!!!
    Hello ive no magic wand i wont improve!!
    It is very hard to make the desicision of giving up your job because then what do you do plus the financial difficulties
    But how can any1 understand if they dont have arthritis how painful & debilitating it is especially when we dont look ill
    I had a written warning from work went to appeal & lost No1 on the panel could understand i have constant pain of varying degrees 24 hours a day every single day :cry:
    We do all feel for you because we are going through it with you
    knowing your not alone is a great help dont know what i would have done without the support on here
    Try keep positive
    Best wishes Maria