newly diagnosed

lacyhillier
lacyhillier Member Posts: 6
Hi ... I am a 34 year old female and had baby a year ago and left with pain and swollen ankles ... this progressed to pain in most joints accompanied by tiredness and generally feeling unwell ... i asked the doc to do the rf test and it came back as a low positive of 30 ... saw the rheumatologist and he thought i did possibly have ra .. more bloods were done .. esr high... crp high but negative for ccp .. 2nd rheumatologist said that he suspects ra and osteoarthritis however he said that as i am coping with the pain he sees no reason to prescribe anything and he will see me in 6 months?!?! i thought that if they suspected ra thry should treat you upfront so that you can stop any damage from being done?!!! your thoughts would be appreciated xx

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi lacyhillier

Thanks for your posting.

It may be worth going back to the rheumatologist/ rheumatology clinic and asking, that if you are suspected of having RA or another type of inflammatory arthritis, why are you not starting treatment straight away and what about the risk of possible damage to your joints ?

There may be a specific reason for this,relating to your individual case, but it is worth trying to find out.

You are welcome to ring us if you would like to have a chat about this.

All the Best

Nick
    Helplines Team
  • lacyhillier
    Thanks for your reply ... his exact reason for no ra meds was because he said i did not need them as i am coping well ... Granted when i saw him i was having a good day and had no physical issues for him to observe ... on waking in the morning it feels like i have bricks as feet as they will not walk and bend and the pain will not die down for sone time and then gradually creep back during the day as i have beensitting at my desk ... my knees on the otherhand wake with little or no pain and they progress into sone quite horrible pain by end of day and by the end of the week they badly hurt ... my wrists have a bit of both ... long morning pain and pain as the day goes on ... i mean i know my pain is soo very far away from what others suffer but why should i be in any pain if they believe i have ra and oa ... maybe he thought that i actually am not suffering as i have little to no swelling .. but even when i had a blood clot in my leg they thought i could not possibly have one as i did not swell ... but yep i had one ... maybe i am just not the swelling kind :-)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    i mean i know my pain is soo very far away from what others suffer but why should i be in any pain if they believe i have ra and oa

Hi there. I'm just a forum member not a member of the Helpline team.

I would endorse all that Nick has said.

It doesn't matter how your pain compares with that of others. We all experience pain differently so no-one can really know what someone else is going through. Your pain is an indication that something is not right and, as such, needs to be taken seriously.

However, your post implies that you feel, if they give you some medication, you will not be in pain. This is unlikely. You'll almost certainly be in less pain but painfree is a bit of a luxury round here :lol:

I hope you can get some answers. Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lacyhillier
    Hi thanks for reply ... yea sorry did not mean i would be in no painbut rather ...if the correct meds are given tjen it would prevent or delay any potential damage therefor prevent some pain?!?!? Sorry i am not quite sure how it all works :-) xx
    • stickywicket
      stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
      That is how it works for RA.

OA is different in that treatment is aimed at reducing pain by the use of pain relieving meds, physio to strengthen the muscles which will then support the joints better and sometimes referral to a Pain Clinic.

If you have a supportive GP he/she might be willing to help you get another rheumatology appointment.
      If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
      Steven Wright