Please Help

shandy4greenday
shandy4greenday Member Posts: 344
Hello I really think I have Arthritis but been unable to get doctor to diagnose me,I will start from beginning.

About 6 weeks ago I started getting pain in my right wrist and found things hard to carry and any weight would cause more pain and I just assumed I might of injured it at work as I am a kitchen Assisitant and carry big tins ,trays etc.Well after a few days it seemed to feel better,well then I started to get it re-occuring every few days and started to wear a strap thinking maybe just not healed yet.Well next I started to get a pain in my left big toe didn't take much notice at forst then it would begin to get worse at night and very painful so I decided to search why this was online and all I seemed to come up with was Gout.I decided to call the doctor and was advised to just take Ibuprofen and to come for a blood test in a weeks time.I went for my blood test on the Monday and then I started to get pain in my hands and especially my right hand which was more painful around the thumb area and I have swelling on top of the hands and stiffness in the fingers.I returned today for my test results to be told they have all come back clear.The doctor looked at my hands and have given me Naproxen 500mg saying its an anti inflammatry that it should clear up but did not seem to say anymore about my foot for which I still get problems.I really don't understand the results as I still believe I have Gout and Arthritis as I am in constant pain and it is effecting my work and limiting what I can do on all my daily things.please someone help me with what steps I can go to get this diagnosed as now it's just been brushed off.Thank you.

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Back to your GP again........Gout comes in many forms and in many places...not necessarily your toe

Hileena
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Shandy4greenday. Like Hileena, I'm just a forum member, not a member of the Helpline team.

I think you need to go back to your GP or, if you have little confidence in him, try a different one at the practice.

Self-diagnosis isn't a good idea though we're all guilty of it from time to time. However, there's a lot of inaccurate information on the net. Try Arthritias Care's own 'Publications & Resources' (top right).

Whether you have gout or osteo-arthritis the naproxen should help. It's an anti-inflammatory and they do help wherever the pain is. If your blood test is clear that ought to mean that you don't have an auto-immune form of arthritis though it doesn't always. Even so, the naproxen should help but you'd need to see a rheumatologist.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    I agree that you should go back to your GP. Take a list of your symptoms so you don't forget to mention everything. The anti-inflammatories might work but, we are not qualified to diagnose you. Your GP is the best person for that.
    Christine
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,463
    Dear Shandy4greenday,

Thank you for your enquiry to Helplines. I apologise for the delay in replying, but we've been a bit short staffed. I realise that you've already had a lot of suggestions and support about where to do when your questions don't seem to have been answered.

Sometimes it can be a bit hard to get the GP to realise just how much difficulty the problem is causing in your life, so describing the practical difficulties you are having is important. If you mention what areas of your life are affected, work, home life, your emotions whatever.

You don't say whether you've ever been diagnosed with any problems similar to this in the past - but if you've been described as having back trouble or 'wear and tear' in any joints that would be important to mention to us at Arthritis Care. If you'd like any more information or support you can always ring us on the freephone.

I hope we can help a bit more.

Kind regards
    Guy
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello Shandy4Greenday, I'm a forum member and I empathise with how you are feeling. I was eventually diagnosed with an 'inflammatory' arthritis five years after my troubles began and I remember the frustration of that time very well indeed. Even when I eventually gained a referral to rheumatology (via the physios at our local footbal club!) they told me to go away because I wasn't one of them. I've been 'happily' proving them wrong ever since and rheumatology is now my second home. :wink:

Please re-post on the Living with Arthritis part of the forum as more forum members will be able to answer you there and hopefully give you some support. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • shandy4greenday
    Thankyou all for your help I have since been back again as I had to stop taking Naproxen as got upset stomach after a week the pain got worse I am now back on Naproxen with Lansoprazole to settle my stomach and co-codamol and have been asked to give it 2 weeks to see if it settles down hopefully will start getting some pain relief now I think my doc is finally acknowledging it I since today have had a fall for the 2nd time this week which is unlike me and now have real bad pain in my right shoulder joint feel like its rubbing when I move it and lack of movement very painful I will give it a few days to see if it settles if not I guess im back again or to the hospital fingers crossed it will be ok.I'm only 40 and i already feel like I have everything wrong with me right now I really hope this eventually will pass I am finding work so hard too but need to keep going I'm sure it will be fine soon.
  • stickywicket
    The lansop should help and, if so, it will enable the naproxen to do its job without the stomach worries. I do hope so. If, however, you continue to have problems, please don't just put up with them. See another GP and, if necessar y, ask to be referred to a rheumatologist just so that you can rule out any auto-immune form of arthritis.
    Steven Wright
  • shandy4greenday
    Thankyou I have been to hospital and luckily no more damage and no sign of arthritis in my shoulder thankfully it is now starting to show more in my hands as my fingers are becoming more sore and looking crooked so hopefully it can be controlled before it spreads too quickly least i think the doc is now trying stuff to rule things out so if it does need refering he can say he's tried these things so least it is a start finally I just feel so fragile at the moment and want to get back to normal as best as I can.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Of course yo want to get back to feeling normal or very near enough. :wink: Keep going back to your gp. That is the only way to make them realise that things are not going well for you. It is your pain and your body and you know best how you are feeling and being affected. I am surprised that the gp has not suggested exrays of your hands. If you are noticing changes in them, then this would be a question to ask.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • shandy4greenday
    It's hard enough to even get him to see me now as they have a new system where you can only call for an appointment on the day and they get doc to call you back so they try to avoid you coming in now takes me ages to get an appointment cause all they want to do is give me prescptions and send me away rather than see me so I can explain proper how I am feeling it gets me down sometimes when he wont even see me.
  • stickywicket
    You might consider changing practices. I know it sounds like a big step but several people on here have reluctantly taken it and then never looked back. If you have an incurable disease you really need a sympathetic and accessible GP. I hardly ever see mine but, in times of need, I can always get an appointment. I actually like telephone appointments as they save me trailing down to the surgery but there are times when only face to face will do.
    Steven Wright
  • shandy4greenday
    i will look into that see what kind of practice they offer as I have been told several are using the same method which I agree is a good idea but sometimes would like to see the doctor all I want is to be able sometimes to see the doc so that is something worth looking at I think thankyou.