MRI access

lululu
lululu Member Posts: 486
edited 29. Nov 2012, 12:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
Anyone know if it is possible to get access to MRIs. I have had neck, bits of spine then full spine then brain MRIs in that order. Each time I mention a problem in another erea someone will say 'well looking at the MRI I am not surprised' I am therefore not convinced taht they are telling me the whole story and so am wondering if I can have my photos and get someone private to explain things - sounds fesible to me has anyone done this.

Comments

• ShulaArcher
    ShulaArcher Member Posts: 174
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi

Until recently, I worked in a hospital and every day dealt with requests for MRI images to be put on discs for patients. We charged £25 for this, although I don't know if this is general. You may also get a copy of the report to go with each MRI examination. However, unless you have a medical background it probably won't mean anything to you, either the images or report. Sometimes people do have a second opinion privately but you'd need a referral from your GP so I would have a chat with your GP first.

Hope this is useful.

Shula
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    When I got referred to my first (private) surgeon I had to get hold of my MRI scan. In the end I left it to his secretary to do it because the x-ray dept never answered the phone, but, to answer your question - yes I did get hold of it and still have it now. I didn't pay anything to get it.
  • lululu
    Thank you both, that is exactly what I needed to know - that it is possible. I shall enquire next time I go to see Rheumy. My GP surprised me when he said he does not have access to the images.
  • PowerOn
    PowerOn Member Posts: 200
    Hello lululu
    I got my medical records including a dvd of a barium swallow from my health board, cost £25.
    I posted some of the comments here and the lovely well informed peeps translated it for me.
    A full body mri may be more complicated but I fully understand your wanting to know.
    Best joke I ever read, "With that information and a diagnosis of spondylosis, your doctor can develop a treatment plan‏" or back in reality totally ignore you. Is ok I have a sense of humour and a boxing glove, not defeated yet.
  • PowerOn
    If it is a long time to your appointment try finding the contact details for the medical records department of your health board-they are the ones I had to contact for my records.
    Best joke I ever read, "With that information and a diagnosis of spondylosis, your doctor can develop a treatment plan‏" or back in reality totally ignore you. Is ok I have a sense of humour and a boxing glove, not defeated yet.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    This is very interesting..I have copy's of the letter from the MRIs but no disc...so I might try and get mine.I have had two consultants look at them and shown me on the monitor...one say things not too bad yet the other saying to watch out for pins and needle, and it may mean surgery.
    Love
    Barbara
  • PowerOn
    When I requested my medical records a form was sent out with a tick list of what I would like to order-sort of a menu-I would not have thought of asking for a dvd had it not been on the form, ask what form records are kept in, if I can find the menu I will post it another day, I have to go out later.
    Seeing the dvd was very interesting, espically as I overheard the x-ray people looking and commenting sounding a little shocked!!!!!!!!
  • lululu
    Thank you so much PowerOn I would not have thought of contating the records office direct. I will see if I can find them now. Was the £25 standard is there a menu of prices.
  • PowerOn
    Hi lululu
    You are very welcome.
    I looked for the letter but it is not where it should be but I did find a receipt for £10 for the cd rom.
    I will continue to look for the letter as there is an access code for the cd in it, will post when I find it.
    Good luck with your records.
  • Nicchick
    Nicchick Member Posts: 191
    You can have a copy of any of your notes and records - my hospital cap it at £50 and seem to charge £10 per bit - you need a LOT of ID, 2 utility bills and a photo ID - OH jokes that the fact that you have an appointment, an appointment card and possibly a medication card isn't enough...

I quite liked looking at my MRI, it's a picture of me! The comments were missing from my x-rays so I requested them and they were *found* when I first requested my records they were always sent recorded delivery but then they just arrived by ordinary letter post!

Good luck! Nx
  • lululu
    Thanks again PowerOn you ae a star! thank you too Nicchick now I know exactly what I will be able to ask for.