new to OA and found this great website!

boudin
boudin Member Posts: 4
edited 27. Nov 2012, 08:50 in Say Hello Archive
Hi,
I'm 41 and have OA in my hands/knees. I stumbled on the forums when looking for answers and info on the website. What a helpful place it is too! I've already seen that one or two of my problems are experienced by others too (feels great to know you're not the only one/mad/hypochondriac).
Boudin

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Boudin and welcome to the forum. Oh no, you're not the only one :roll: I'm sure you're not a hypochondriac and, as for mad, well, if you are wou'll fit in well here :lol: Mine is mostly RA but we have plenty of OAers on here too. Please join in anywhere you like. We're a friendly lot.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • boudin
    boudin Member Posts: 4
    Thanks StickyW,
    if it's a case of "you don't have to be mad to be here; but it helps" I think I shall be very much at home!
    Boudin
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Boudin
    And a warm welcome from me,I to have OA but mainly my back and hips, like you have already found this forum is full of information,and also support, so I do hope you stay with us and hope to see you posting more very soon x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello Boudin, it's nice to meet you and I'm glad you have found us. I have OA in my knees and ankles as a result of joint damage caused by my auto-immune arthritis so like Sticky I have a foot in both camps. The drugs for the PsA are not very pleasant but the pain from the OA is foul. We are a knowledgeable bunch on many areas and we also support people as much as possible throughout the trials and tribulations they face when dealing with the disease and the doctors. I look forward to seeing your name here and there and I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ShulaArcher
    ShulaArcher Member Posts: 174
    Hello Boudin

Just to say welcome and to send good wishes from me. I've also got OA and particularly in my hands/wrists. This is the place to be for advice and support. I'm sure you'll find it useful and friendly, which is just as important.

Shula
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Hi Boudin

Welcome to a wonderful place I also have OA in my hands, I am actually getting a finger fusion done tomorrow, hypocondriach you certainly are not and a bit mad is good as you can see there is also a lot of laughs :lol: , I have not been here long and the support and advice is second to none, looking forward to seeing you around.........Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • AliMJ
    AliMJ Member Posts: 3
    Hi there. Recently diagnosed with OA, lower spine and knees. I'm 41 and confused! So much information and don't know where to start. I am taking co-codomal 500g but its not touching the pain in my knee. My knee keeps not just getting stiff but locking in a position. I massage it, get really bad pain then it almost pops and I can then move it. Haven't a clue whether this is normal, go to the docs? take some other pain relief? or am I being a wuss than needs to accept that this is what OA is? Any advise greatly received x
  • stickywicket
    Hi there AliMJ. It's good to meet you and, yes, the info can be confusing at times even for us 'old hands' let alone when you're quite new to it all. I have some OA too but it's as a result of years of RA. I've had both knees replaced.

OK let's take the cocodamol first. It comes in different strengths. It's actually a combination of codeine and paracetamol and 500mg bit refers to the paracetamol. It's the other number that tells you the strength of the codeine and it might be that you're on one of the milder strengths and your GP could increase it. Failing that, he could just change it to a different pain med although many of us on here refer to paindullers as we regard the term painkillers as a misnomer.

The knee. Yes, I've had the locking thing. If I'm sitting down, I can often get it right by shoving it hard with the other knee and trying to straighten it while doing that. Fun, it aint :roll:

I don't know how you were diagnosed but, if you haven't had an x-ray of it, it might be time to ask for one. Is your GP aware of the locking? I certainly don't think you're a wuss. OA does do this but, for me, mine was quite advanced before it did.

Try posting this on the Living With Arthritis forum. More people look in there and you should get more viewpoints. Good luck!
    Steven Wright
  • AliMJ
    Thanks Stickywicket

I think I will go to the docs. I'm not getting any sleep and the painkillers seem to be doing nothing. My other question that I'm a bit stuck on is - I joined the gym with the intention of helping myself. I've always thought that if you are in pain you should not exercise but having arthritis contradicts this because exercise seems to help the pain. Do I do gentle exercise and ride the pain or should I just be active but without working the joints too much?

Many thanks, Ali
  • stickywicket
    I think the doc is a good idea. I'm sure he'll be able to come up with something that will help you to sleep better.

Exercise is beneficial to OA as it keeps the muscles strong. Strong muscles support joints better and so the joints hurt less. However, it's important to do the right exercises so as not to further damage the joints. Swimming and cycling are usually considered good as they are low impact ie your body is supported while you are doing them. If you look at the top of the page and click on 'Publications and Resources' there is a booklet on 'Exercise'. You could also ask your doc for a session with a physio who might give you ones tailored to your needs.

I think you need a professional to give advice on how far to take things. You will, in time, learn just how much is good and at what point it becomes bad but I can't tell you that.
    Steven Wright
  • AliMJ
    Thank you! I didn't realise how much I needed to talk to someone in the know.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Ali

A very quick hello and welcome to the forums from me :) It's lovely to meet you.

If you look on this site (the main part not the forums) there are leaflets which have info about exercise and loads of other stuff to do with the different forms of arthritis.

I swim and walk using a treadmill.

Oh but not breast stroke - I was advised against this by the orthopedic surgeon after my back surgery.

Love

Toni xxx
  • sheenakt
    sheenakt Member Posts: 51
    Hi, welcome to the forums, I have OA in back, hips, feet, hands and I ssuspect knees. there is always loads of info on here to help with any problems - you won't be alone.

Sheena x