OT visit tomorrow - any tips please?

kentishlady
kentishlady Member Posts: 809
edited 27. Nov 2012, 11:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone. I know lots of you have had dealings with OT's and wonder if you can give me any advice please? I have OT coming to visit tomorrow, Monday, 26th. Hope you are all having as good a day as possible. Thanks in advance. Beryl

Comments

• villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Beryl
    Sorry pet have not had any dealings yet with OT's, hope you can get some advice before tomorrow, hope you are having a nice weekend.............Mariexx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    My tip would be to relax and enjoy it, Beryl :) OTs are usually very helpful indeed and very clued up. All you really need to think of in advance is in which areas / rooms you need help. All the OTs I've seen have been brilliant.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • deedeeitsme
    deedeeitsme Member Posts: 321
    Hope the visit goes well for you...from what I've heard the ot's are really helpful and give support as well as aids to make your life a little easier.

Take care Dee x
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    I have always found OT's to be brilliant. Just think in advance of what you struggle with. Usually they take you room, by room as they are used to the areas that people struggle with.

I hope it goes well.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Hope it goes well for you tomorrow with the OT- they have so much experience I'm sure he/she will guide you through the visit. They gave my mum things like extra handrails on the stairs and by the dooy, grab rails in the bathroom, perchging stool for the kitchen at work surface height to save her standing-they have lots of gadgets to make life a little simpler.
    I'm off to visit the OT at her office too tomorrow to sort out new splints for my sore hands and wrists, and I'm hoping she can suggest something for painful elbows and ankles!

Deb x
  • gilly1957
    gilly1957 Member Posts: 212
    I had a visit from OT not long ago and she was lovely, friendly and chatty,

asking what probs I have with different tasks.

I find standing particuarly difficult and painful due to OA in lumber spine, I now have a perching stool for the kitchen which is great,makes life a lot easier, also got grab handles to hold onto for getting in bath/shower and a gadget to pick things up from the floor, also it can help to pull pants/trousers up partway.

Best bet is just to have a think about tasks you find difficult, and discuss these with her (or him) and see what they recommend.

Hope all goes well

Gill
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Sorry I cant offer any help ,but I do hope it goes well for you and they offer lots of help,please let us know how you get on xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • kentishlady
    Thanks to all of you for your helpful advice. I knew you'd be able to come up with some answers :) Will let you know how I get on. Need to have a tidy-up before she comes so better do it rather than just think about it!! Hope you are all having as good a day as possible. Beryl
  • kentishlady
    Hi everyone. Had OT visit this moring (it was a him although I'd been told it would be a her)!! Suggested a couple of things which hopefully will make life a little easier around the house - a couple of the electrical sockets to be raised and an additional stair rail to be fitted. Also a 'grabstick' to make life easier picking up things (can anyone suggest why when you have a bad back everything goes on the floor!!!?) and a stool to help in the kitchen as standing makes my back even worse. Guess some of you have already got these items, but shall be interested to see how they help. Hope none of you are flooded out or having extreme problems with the weather. We've certainly had our fair share of rain but not as bad as some parts of the country. Keep dry and warm! Beryl
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Sounds as if you had a positive visit Beryl, hope it makes life a wee bit easier for you.........sun been out here all afternoon, freeeezing though.......Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Glad it was a positive visit, hope the gadgets help.
    Deb
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Beryl

sorry I am late on your thread, but l would have only said not to worry OTs are on your side :D

and I would have been right wouldn't I? Very good outcome :D

Re the back issue and stuff falling on the floor....l guess things fall on the floor for the more able too, but they don't even notice???

love

Toni xx
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Hi Beryl,

That sounds like a useful visit :)

I've been using various aids for the past decade or so, so I recognise a lot of the equipment you mention here. Pick-up sticks (my preferred term for 'grabsticks' or 'grabbers') are brilliant. I use mine for dressing as well as picking stuff up off the floor. I've had a couple of perch stools too, which are great if you need to take a break while cooking etc. Unfortunately mine were a bit splay-legged and people kept tripping over them, despite my warnings, but perhaps the design's a bit better nowadays.

Anyway… enjoy!

Best wishes,
    Phoebe
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Sounds good,hope its sorted soon.Mig
  • kentishlady
    Hi all of you. Thanks for your comments. Glad you've seen the sun Marie. Maybe you'd like to send it in this direction, please. Hope you are all having as good a day as possible. Beryl xx