MRI scan results

Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 28. Nov 2012, 06:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
I had a lot of pocket riders with me for my jaw MRI, so thought I'd update you on the results.

It wasn't the best news. My jaw movement is restricted (which I suspected), the jaw discs internally dislocate when I open and close my mouth, there are also joint erosions as well as active inflammation in the joint. The surgeon said, that given the findings, he would have expected more symptoms but I'm used to managing pain and badly behaved joints. We discussed surgery but I don't feel my symptoms warrant that right now. So, he feels there isn't much more he can do and I will be discharged back to my rheumy on the condition I get re-referred if my symptoms get worse.

Obviously, I'm quite upset knowing I have joint damage (which he said it down to the RA) but hopefully leflunomide will work alongside MTX and stop any more deterioration.

Thank you for being there for me! x

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I'm sorry about that, Sophie. Now what you wanted to learn. However, I think you've probably got the right attitude. I, too, hope the DMARDS will stop any further deterioration. If not, at least forewarned is forearmed and you know to get something done.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I can only imagine how you must feel, and I do understand you not wanting surgery just yet, I will have everything crossed that the meds worked and ease the pain for you...gosh this blinking Arthur doesn't know were to stop.
    I really do wish you well with it all (((((()))) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Thank you for the support both of you. I've been tearful all day, not sure if it's related.

I require chocolate!!!!!
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Awwe Sophie

I'm sorry to hear that pet, hopefully the meds will keep things under control for a long time and you don't need to go down the surgery road, sending you some cyber millionaire shortbread I have just made, I'm sure the nurses won't miss a few pieces, chin up huni we are all here for you............tc..............Marie ((((())))) xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Sophie, I'm so sorry to hear about the MRI results on your jaw, what an aweful place to have such joint pain, erosion & inflammation. I hope the meds will help and take the edge off the pain. You have every right to be upset. I send you big (((HUGS))). Remember we are all here if you need to talk or a shoulder.
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    I hope you got a large bar of chocolate, you deserve and of course it melts in the mouth so no jaw action!
    I just read your post and thought how very brave and strong your response was. Pain, damage and all the other bits that arthritis cause are horrendous but dealing with them as you do (even surprising a surgeon with your lack of complaining re symptoms) is a tribute to you girl! It's going to take a while to get all that on board and a few tears will be part of that process but you are going about it with an amazing attitude. I'm sorry the results weren't more positive but as Sticky says, you are forewarned and that's something. I'm dead proud of you. Love LV xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hi Sophie

glad the results are in. Sorry about the damage, but l totally understand how you feel about the lack of need for surgery just yet.

Good thing that you can be referred back as and when you feel the need.

Take care

LOve

Toni xxx