Do cold remedies ( Lemsips etc ) actualy work

alanthemanc
alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
edited 27. Nov 2012, 15:32 in Community Chit-chat archive
I've been taking them for days now, no difference whatsoever. Looking at the box, there doesn't seem to be any magic potion in them, so do they work for you, or are they a multi million pound con trick. Alanthemanc :?

Comments

• frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    How do you mean work?

I take separate generic paracetamol and a decongestant rather than these bundled drugs because a) it is cheaper and b) the bundles often don't have the max paracetamol in them. Also I can then tailor my meds to my symptoms.

The paracetamol "works" in as much as if I have a temperature it reduces it and it also helps with a sore throat or headache. The decongestant "works" in as much as I can breathe easier.

If you mean "do they cure the cold" well - no, of course not. They are not anti virals so can't make you better, just might make you feel a bit better. In fact, reducing a high temperature will actually slow recovery because the high temperature is the body's way to speed up all the natural reactions that help to rid the body of the infection.

My degree is in biochemistry so sorry if that is more detail than you were after!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Well I, for one, found it very interesting, frogmella. I kind of knew most of it but not the 'hows' and 'whys'.

I'm another who rarely uses cold remedies as it's so important not to accidentally overdose on paracetamol if taking them, or cocos, in addition.

I just use paracetamol and drink gallons of anything - tea, herbal teas, water, fruit juice etc.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    I too found that fascinating, thanks Frogmella. Years ago my GP advised me to triple my liquid intake if I was fighting infections or virus and I have to say, he was right. It seems to help and I can drink lots of things that taste nicer than those special brews. Hope you feel better soon!
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    My OH swears by them. He starts taking them at the first sign of a cold, and claims they stop the cold getting too bad. Of course I don't know how bad his cold would get anyway.
    I don't use them myself.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    My OH swears by them. He starts taking them at the first sign of a cold, and claims they stop the cold getting too bad. Of course I don't know how bad his cold would get anyway.
    I don't use them myself.

It would get very bad indeed. He's a bloke :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • sheenakt
    sheenakt Member Posts: 51
    personally I think it's just the hot drink that helps, I find it more soothing to have juice of half a lemon, and a spoonful of honey in hot water then take a couple of paracetamol.its got to be a more natural way.

I think the o.d saying of a cold will last a week untreated and 7 days treated (or maybe it was the other way round…)

Sheena x