So cold walking hurts enough without this cold adding to it

PowerOn
PowerOn Member Posts: 200
edited 30. Nov 2012, 06:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Sorry grumbling again 8-/ I am a miserable thing at times.
I have always kept walking but recently something moved and crunched inside my knees so although I can walk for miles at times (yesterday 5 miles!) I think it is time to stop as I have noticed my knees and hips do not move as they should :-(
The GP told me to keep walking or my muscles will waste away.
That was before the movement and recent x-rays which I have not seen GP since then, maybe he would agree with me since the x-rays-will see at next appointment.
I think I am doing damage and need to exercise in a non damaging way-ie physio advice needed.
I have set aside a pair of track shoes to take into my physio appointment (when I get one)
The shoes show the wear from the way I walk,
I stand up straight and do my "best, well behaved" walk when anyone including physio is watching.
This is very different to my walk when I have been walking for more then a few minutes and am in pain.
Does anyone else think they walk differently when with physio then when they have been walking for a while.
I know even my best walk will not be "normal" due to the undetected birth deformity which was noticed at age 48!
I am going to take a photo of the shoes and if there is a way to post it here I will try to do so, they are laughable, they lean in towards each other and show my gait better then I could when trying to stand up and not look silly and ape like when watched.
Talk about the Ministry of Funny Walks!
Have to go out again today so time to find some Long Johns to keep those joints warm-such sophistication!
Stay warm and cheerful everyone.
Best joke I ever read, "With that information and a diagnosis of spondylosis, your doctor can develop a treatment plan‏" or back in reality totally ignore you. Is ok I have a sense of humour and a boxing glove, not defeated yet.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    PowerOn wrote:
    I have set aside a pair of track shoes to take into my physio appointment (when I get one)
    The shoes show the wear from the way I walk,
    I stand up straight and do my "best, well behaved" walk when anyone including physio is watching.
    This is very different to my walk when I have been walking for more then a few minutes and am in pain.

It sounds like you need to see an orthotist to get some decent insoles which will correct your gait.

It's easy to walk well in flat, long hospital corridors. (I love it.) But, on uneven ground and pavements it's a different matter. Make sure you wear strong, supportive shoes, not old, saggy, comfortable ones.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • PowerOn
    That is with the insoles in!!!!!
    I think I need to go back for a chat - they discharged me and I now have new shoes the insoles are destroying!
    Best joke I ever read, "With that information and a diagnosis of spondylosis, your doctor can develop a treatment plan‏" or back in reality totally ignore you. Is ok I have a sense of humour and a boxing glove, not defeated yet.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi PowerOn
    I have a cousin that lives in America, and he is waiting for a TKR, and apparently he has worn it down by going over on one foot,the first thing they did was to put him on a walking machine that maps how you walk, its such a shame we dont have these here apart from private practice that is.
    I do wish you well with the physio xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    PowerOn wrote:
    That is with the insoles in!!!!!
    I think I need to go back for a chat - they discharged me and I now have new shoes the insoles are destroying!

I think that's a good idea. You may need shoes rather than just insoles, especially in view of the problem you've had since birth.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Soretoe2
    Soretoe2 Member Posts: 198
    As you have been diagnosed with a problem since birth, you are eligable to see an Orthotist at your hospital. Usually they liase with an orthopaedic consultant but you can be referred by your gp in some areas. They supply shoes /insoles and supports for helping with everyday life.
    They are usually very helpful and have loads of useful suggestions and do certain tests to see how your gait is etc.
    As a sufferer of both painful feet and the cold myself you have my sympathy.
    Keep warm and hope you get some much needed help soon. Joy
  • knuckleduster
    knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
    Hello Poweron

It certainly does sound as if you need advice on footwear and insoles and I'm confident a physiotherapist and the foot clinic could point you in the right direction. However, when they've straightened your feet up between them, you'll find muscles you never knew you had :o .
    It's just such a shame we all have to wait so long for these appointments unless we can afford to go "private".

I have arthritis in my knees and the cold weather can really get into them. I make sure I wear thick trousers when I go out and each morning I rub in (we can't advertise on this site) warm e-- o-- (a long neck and long legged bird). My husband recommended it to me as many of his aging motorcycling friends use it. It doesn't help my arthritis, but it does act as barrier to the cold and I can walk comfortably. If I should forget to put it on, then I do notice it! All I can say is, it works for me.

Hope you get some help soon.

Janet xx
  • PowerOn
    barbara12 That sounds similar to my knee problems, from the way my joints line up (very squiffy) due to slightly bent shin bones I have damaged my knees, this has had a knock on effect on other joints.
    stickywicket I never thought of ortho shoes-I hope they are decent looking if I get them, can hide them under trousers if not!
    Soretoe2 I had to look up "Orthotist" I am going to ask to be referred back to the podiatrist and also the physio department and ask about the Orthotist and show them the shoes, both the very damaged ones and these new ones.
    I think the new shoes are being damaged as they are not flat inside and the insoles have a slight heel which is digging a hole in them, I am not using the insoles with them, I am between a rock and a hard place at the moment-would prefer to be in the Bahamas-NHS budget could cope with an air ticket ;-)
    Knuckleduster you are so right about finding new muscles, when I first got the insoles they did change the angle the knee joints were moving at-the only way I can describe it is to imagine a branch that is slightly bend to the right so it is slightly broken at that angle then bend the branch the other way and it breaks from that angle but is now straight, although the insoles made me walk better they still did a lot of damage by making the angle different.
    I have had the insoles for over a year now and wore them until recently when I got the new shoes so my poor legs have been bending in all directions.
    Will look out for bird cream!
    Just annoyed recently as everything seems to be hurting, all joints are fighting for attention.

Thinking positive I have decided to go on a diet!

Good job I like porridge and fruit smoothies both very filling and fresh ginger in a fruit smoothie is very warming!