don't advertise when you are going away

knuckleduster
knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
edited 28. Nov 2012, 14:10 in Community Chit-chat archive
Was watching a feature on the tv yesterday on burglary and insurance.
When insurance companies receive a claim for possessions lost and damage done caused by burglary, they are checking social media web sites in case we have stated on these sites we are going out for the evening or going on holiday. Obviously it's good to chat on these sites, but if we have said we will be away and then we are burgled, the insurance companies will not pay out. Sad we can't say what we want to, but it is better to be safe than sorry.

Janet xx

Comments

• bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    We're lucky when we go away our house is house sitted, it's carried on from when bubbadog was here, the people who looked after him still want to do to the same arrangement while we go on holiday! So we are happy.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Janet the amount of people that go on facebook to tell the world they are going on holiday is crackers....and watch out for taxi firms
    My brother inlaw and his wife went away on hols a few years ago now and came back to a ransacked house, they trace it to the taxi driver that took them to the airport, it was one police officer that ask people what taxi firm did they use...and the name came up more than once, it was down to one driver.. :shock:
    Love
    Barbara
  • knuckleduster
    knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
    That was bad Barbara. Hope the police were able to arrest him and he got a custodial sentence.

Janet xx
  • Trayce
    Trayce Member Posts: 110
    i never ever put on social networking sites we are away only people know are my mum and dad did not stop being broken into last Xmas and it was so distressing not over it at all never will be
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    That was bad Barbara. Hope the police were able to arrest him and he got a custodial sentence.

Janet xx
    Hi Janet...they found all sorts at his house..the taxi firm hadn't a clue...he was jailed... but not for long.. :o
    Love
    Barbara