3 weeks post op help please

annedw
annedw Member Posts: 15
edited 8. Dec 2012, 12:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi I am new to this site I had total left hip replacement 3 weeks ago and am struggling with how much I should be doing I have fallen twice .Before the op I had been suffering with back problems for over 11 yrs it was only in jan this year that a new doctor at my practice thought it was time I went back to see my surgeon .I was shocked to find out that I had severe arthritis in both hips and my lower back when they had been telling me it was just a disc problem all that time .Sorry to go on just wanted to give you some background .What I would like is if some of you have been in a similar position I would love to hear about your recovery how long it took and any problems you had or are having I realy would just like someone to talk too and compare notes with thankyou for reading and hope to get a reply soon Ann

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I'm glad you've found us. I haven't had a THR but I do know that three weeks is very early days in terms of recovery. Everyone is different in what happens and how quickly but you have had major surgery and that in itself takes its toll on the whole body, not just the bit that's been fiddled with. I can't type more - had double carpal tunnel a week ago. :lol: I'm sure others will be along soon to help, please keep in touch 'cos we know our stuff and are a supportive bunch. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    hi welcome sorry you took so long to get the help you needed when you start physio they will tell you more at moment i would thing gentle exercise none weight bearing and ice if still swollen but not had one so only guessing listen to your body and go with what hospital told you val
    val
  • knuckleduster
    knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
    Hello Ann

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you have had to have major surgery.

I had a THR in December 2010. Three weeks is very, very early days yet and your recovery can't be rushed. I assume you are having physio and they will guide you as to when you can go down from two crutches to one crutch and then a walking stick. I was still using two crutches at three weeks, possibly even five weeks. But, of course, I did have Christmas and New Year in between so perhaps the physio was a bit delayed. The hospital gave me a sheet of exercises to do three times a day, plus a short walk and I had to lay down for an hour each day to stretch everything out. The first twelve weeks is crucial to good healing and when at six months I complained to my surgeon that I was not walking well, he told me I would have to wait until a whole year was up before I could say how I was walking. Although I did all what I had been told to do, I can honestly say it was 18 months before the hip felt part of me, but everybody is different. When I have my next one done, I shall make sure I am as fit as I can be, because I truly believe having good muscle tone makes all the difference to the speed of recovery. In the early days of my recovery I even used a walking frame at night when I needed to go to the loo, as I found this far safer and easier than juggling the crutches when I was half asleep. As my physio said "it's all about being safe." If you are in any doubt, ring your physio and have a chat as they are there to help you. Good luck and keep the forum informed as to how you are coming along.

Janet xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello and welcome to the forum from me, too. As the others have said, 3 weeks is very early days after a THR. Even once the scar on the outside looks good, remember there’s still a great deal of healing to take place on the inside that you can’t see. You will still be sleeping on your back at this stage and that’s because the new hip is still very prone to dislocation. It needs a lot of tlc still. Of course, it does need exercise too but, as Janet (knuckleduster) has said, the exercises are the main thing at this stage.

Are you still seeing your physiotherapist? I hope so. Did anyone check your THR after your falls? Knuckleduster has given you a very good indication of how things are for many of us after a THR so I won’t repeat it. Just keep doing the exercises and resting. Those are the main things at this stage.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi annedw
    I have Arthritis of the bask and both hips , my consultants are at loggerheads has to which is causing the most pain...sorry I cant offer any help, but could I asked how your back is holding up at the min or is it early days for you
    I really do wish you well with your recovery xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Hi and welcome from me too, I haven't had the hip surgery but quite a few ops on the knees, three wks really is early days hun... I hope more folks turn up with advice :D

Hope tonight is better for you

Take care :wink:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • annedw
    thanks everyone for your advice I think I was just feeling a bit lost as I was just sent home with a sheet of exercises and an apiontment to go and see my surgeon in dec which I am not sure I will be able to get there they have offered me a taxi but at the moment I dont feel confident enough but we will see nearer the time .Hi Barbara my back is bad at the moment lying on my back isnt helping but hope it will be worth it in the end .thankyou again and I would love to keep in touch with you all youve made me feel alot better just knowing theres someone to talk too Ann x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I'd guess that all will be well, Ann, if you just keep doing the exercises (10 of each and aim for 4-5 times a day as I recall) and resting. If your leg’s still swollen, elevate it when you're resting.

Tell us when your surgeon’s appointment is and we’ll all pile in that taxi with you :wink: because it’s very important that he knows how everything is going so you mustn’t miss it.

Is it the falls that have resulted in the lack of confidence? I hope they didn't do too much damage.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • sheenakt
    sheenakt Member Posts: 51
    Hi there
    I'm 56 and had a THR Sept 2011, left hip, got arthritis in both and lower spine. I had a fall 3 weeks ago so understand how concerned you must be, my surgeon said in case of a fall you must have an x-ray to assess any possible damage.Thankfully mine was ok.
    at the 3 week stage I was in agony sleeping on my back, I was injecting myself for 28 days and the support stockings were frustrating! Husband worked away so I was home alone during the week, I became very adept at getting the stockings off but could not get them back on without help. Its seems a stupid thing now to be frustrated over.
    my surgeon was a big fan of walking! I was walking a mile every day with walking sticks, went down to one around the 6 week point. I never had crutches, started walking on sticks the morning following my evening op. You will see an improvement week by week, sometimes very small, but don't rush things, be very, very careful in bending whilst dressing etc. You'll be running around in no time. Yes, falls do make you lose confidence - I'm only starting to feel ok after my check up and x-ray last week. My surgeon doesn't need to see me till 2017 now!
    Sheena xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Ann

Sorry I am late on and really have no idea what I am talking about as I haven't had this op.

What I DO know is that we are all different and recover at different rates - when I had my back surgery I felt the ultimate whimp :( The woman in the bed oppisite went home after 3 days and I was till trapped after 10 :shock:

I also was still in a lot of pain weeks and weeks later!

BUT in the long-run you WILL recover - at your own rate maybe, but just the same as those who are lucky enough to get over their ops so much quicker.

You take care

Love and ((()))

Toni xx
  • PowerOn
    PowerOn Member Posts: 200
    Helo and welcome.
    My mother aged 85 had a hip replacement after a fall and was given strict instructions not to bend forward even in bed.
    As well as excercies were you given a list of things to avoid doing?
    Did you tell anyone medical that you have fallen and for advice?
    Recovery can take a long time please try not to hurry things.
    Best joke I ever read, "With that information and a diagnosis of spondylosis, your doctor can develop a treatment plan‏" or back in reality totally ignore you. Is ok I have a sense of humour and a boxing glove, not defeated yet.
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Hi there and welcome.

I am very late on this one. I had my HRT 18th months ago now. As with you, I was offered no phsyio after, just the appointment check up. Now I was a holy terror for doing things I should not have done. And I think to a certain extent I payed the price. Make sure you keep you're excercises going every day. Make sure that you get plenty of rest, no bending over, no baths and no showers if yours in in the bath. Let everyone else help you as much as they can. I know you will be layingon your back for a long time, I ended up getting sleeping tabs from the doctor because I ended up with so much pain just laying in one position. This all sounds awful, but believe me, it is all worth it in the end.

If you have more questions please feel free to pm me. Hope your recovery is a good one and keep us informed.
    Karen xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello annedw, how are you feeling today? DD
  • annedw
    Hi DD thanks for asking I am feeling a bit better going to take things at my own pace and not worry about how other people are doing .I think I got myself worked up in hospital one of the nurses asked me how old I was when I asked her why she said there were women in here that were70 or 80 yrs old I am only 53 that were doing better than me it made me feel like I wasn"t trying which I was anyway going to forget what she said most of the nurses were lovely so no more looking back just keep going and working hard to get as good a result as I can thanks again for asking Ann xxx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I have had a THR. 3 weeks is early days but please be careful as you have fallen twice and that is not good as you could displace the hip. Just take it easy with gentle exercise and no lowering your hands below your knees. You should have a raised toilet seat and raised cushions when seated (I'm not very good on my angles). Use your grabby stick to pick things up.

write down any questions for when you see your surgeon in December so ou don't forget anything important.

Take care
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • lazicat
    lazicat Member Posts: 177
    Hi There.
    I had a THR in July. My new hip is doing well , took time to feel like it belonged to me. Ive still got pain as Ive got OA in my other hip & lower spine, but having my right hip done has made a massive difference. I still get good & bad days & people tell me its still early days after all this time !
    My advise would be to do your physio 3 times a day , rest alot , lay flat for an hour each afternoon after lunch , sleep on your back only for 6 weeks , do not do any deep bending, must not reach down or forward past your knees, gradually walk more using crutches & then a stick when you feel more comfortable. Try not to rush things , as you start to feel better do things in bite size chunks & have rest periods. Its so easy to do too much.
    Let your family help & take care of you for a while - good luck x
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Hi Annie,I know you are doing better today ,but tomorrow you might not ,thats the nature of the beast ,you will get so much better and when you are ........about christmas time you will be so glad you had the op its time really and looking after yourself and oh goodness that nurse grrr she was rubbish just ignore people like that love and everything to make you better Marrianne :)
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello, it's lovely to hear from you again. I know from personal experience today that insensitive remarks are very easily made ( viz, me to my husband about how wonderful hospitals are (after my good post-carpal tunnel op appointmen) when we're sat in the same hospital where his mum recently died. Classy, DD, classy. :oops: )

Who cares who's doing what and when? I daresay that there are some very limber 90 year old ladies in a can-can line somewhere (yeah, I know, on the net!) but I am 53 and can't can't. :wink: Those who have it don't appreciate it, those who don't do.

I know that there are some who are discharged with very little info about after-care and exercise (Constable springs immediately to mind) and I am concerned that you may have toppled once or twice in trying to be too ambitious. Take your time and do what suits you and s*d the rest of 'em because you're not them and they ain't you. Please keep in touch, we know our stuff and we are a very supportive bunch. I asked how you were because I was genuinely wondering how things were going. And I'll keep asking until you tell me! Take care. DD
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Hi there Ann

DD has reminded me(thanks DD, braindoesn't work well nowadays) I was in hospital for my HRT for 24 hours. I left with a leaflet, well a couple of pages of excercises and what to do and how to bend etc. That was it. And I was never given crutches, I went straight onto sticks. I had my six weeks check up and that was that, never been called back or checked on.

Just make sure that you do take things very easy. The first 6 weeks are the very important ones. As I said before I had mine done about 18 months ago. And still I feel that my hip is is not fully recovered. Dont get me wrong, the pain is so so much better and movement.
    Karen xx
  • sdw72
    sdw72 Member Posts: 7
    Hello. To echo some of the things other people have said. 3 weeks is very soon after A THR. I had my right THR Feb 2011 and my right in Sep 2011. I was young compared to most of the hip patients on my ward. 38 at the time, now I have passed the 40 milestone! I felt pressure particularly due to this to be up on my feet from day one, and doctors, physios etc seemed to think I would be up and about very quickly and yet gave very little support or guidance once I came home from hospital. I tried to do too much too early, partly due to my nature, partly due to pressure, opinions from these people. I got conflicting advice from physios, doctors, nurses etc too.
    just remember, something i am learning, your body is your body and recovery is only about you feeling right and giving your body all the time it needs to get over surgery and being well again. Every recovery will be different and while there are guidelines that's all they are.
    Wishing you all the best
  • dreamdaisy
    What wise words, sdw72. Many of the professionals we meet in the course of our arthritic lives are very well-versed in the theory but it's US who deal with the reality and yes, all our experiences are different. It is so hard not to compare oneself to others (I was struggling with that viz my carpal tunnel surgery recovery but now I'm reconciled to the fact it's taking longer that I thought or wanted).

Hello again annnedw, it's been a little while since we heard from you; I hope all is as well as it can be. DD