shoes

gezzas
gezzas Member Posts: 18
Hello I have problems with my feet knees and hips and I have pain when walking I have been looking at footwear that may ease the pain I have seen some called sketchers shape ups they have a rocking motion sole does anybody no if these would be a help or totally wrong thanks

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello gezzas, I'm a forum member and shoes are a theme that comes up time and time again on here. If you do a search on the Living with Arthritis part of the forum numerous threads will come up with people's experiences of what helps and hinders. For me I find the MBT types far too painful - they feel OK until I take them off then hell erupts in my knees. :lol: I was recently referred to orthotics and have been made two pairs of custom insoles - the first pair have helped matters, the second pair will be more extreme but I will persevere with them. Good luck. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    I'm also a mere forum member :lol: but thought I'd offer my opinion. I have bad RA in my feet so shoes are a massive issue! I am not a fan of the rocking sole shoes, they cause me too much pain.

I have tried lots of highly recommended brands and spent a lot of money. The best advice I can give is; go to a proper shoe shop! Walk around lots and lots in the shop. I found running trainers a life saver although clearly I'm not going to be running any time soon! I went to a proper running shop and spoke to an expert. Only issue is that they are not too waterproof.

It might be worth getting referred to an orthotist or podiatrist (if you already haven't) as decent insoles can be the difference between a nice stroll and a not so nice stroll!
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    I bought a pair of shapeups a while ago to see if they actually would tone my legs. Don't know that they helped with that but I can walk long distances in them when, with other shoes, I can only potter about. They have a very good amount of padding in the soles. I think good running shoes might be good too, depending how bad your feet are. I used to run marathons but found the running shoes I had were no longer padded enough for me. Definitely, do lots of walking up and down when trying shoes on. As I said, some shoes I can only potter around but if I try to walk any distance, it becomes painful.
    Christine
  • gezzas
    gezzas Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for your thoughts my consultant is referring me to a podiatrist I am waiting on that I think my feet need a thick sole to absorb impact but need soft uppers as toes have clawed badly I hope I get appointment through soon from hospital as walking is a big effort and painful I will try and get to some shops to try some on I have looked at arthritis shoes on internet they are expensive but cannot seem to find any shops selling them thanks for your input it is great fully received
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    I hope you don't have to wait too long.

I also need thick soles. At home, I wear fur lined crocs and they are wonderfully comfortable.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,482
    Dear Gezzas,

Thank you for your enquiry to Helplines. Shoes with a rocking motion don't suit everyone with arthritis, so we'd recommend you check with someone medically qualified before spending your hard earned cash.

The general information from AR UK on foot pain is worth looking at - here it is http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/conditions/foot-pain.aspx

We are closed for team training the last Friday of the month - so that's why we are replying today.

Kind regards

Guy