Ankle Fusion Question

Wendles
Wendles Member Posts: 10
edited 3. Dec 2012, 05:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello my name is Wendy. I'm new to the forum and I would like to hear from anyone who has had an ankle fusion. 10 weeks ago I had a hindfoot nail ankle fusion. I came out of plaster yesterday and am now using crutches with an air boot. How easy is it to walk with a completely fused ankle? How do you cope with uneven ground and hills? Do you still use a walking aid? I can't even put on trousers without getting my foot stuck in the leg :roll: so any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Wow W, i could do with some advice on this to i have to see the surgeon on 27 December been told it will be replacment or fusion. think i may need both ankles doing cant walk at all now.
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Hi W , just had to google the operation you had done , will need both of mine done at some time & not in a rush

had Triple Arthrodesis done on both ankles , the airboot had to use for 3 months , still nice to have a lot less pain in the joint , hope it goes well for you in your recovery
  • pegleg
    pegleg Member Posts: 139
    I have answered the question on the post below this one ! x
  • Wendles
    Colin1 wrote:
    Wow W, i could do with some advice on this to i have to see the surgeon on 27 December been told it will be replacment or fusion. think i may need both ankles doing cant walk at all now.
    Colin

Hi Colin, good luck with your appointment. I think If I'd had the choice, I would have gone for a replacement. My left ankle was just too damaged. I will also need my right ankle fused, which is why I'm keen to hear from others, because I can't imagine what it's going to be like with two fused ankles. Others may cope really well, so it would be nice to know.
  • Wendles
    pegleg wrote:
    I have answered the question on the post below this one ! x

Sorry pegleg, I've never used a forum before. Where is your answer? Thank you.
  • Wendles
    trepolpen wrote:
    Hi W , just had to google the operation you had done , will need both of mine done at some time & not in a rush

had Triple Arthrodesis done on both ankles , the airboot had to use for 3 months , still nice to have a lot less pain in the joint , hope it goes well for you in your recovery

Hi Trepolpen, wow I've just googled your ops and that was major. If I hadn't waited so long, I might have just been able to have a fusion by keyhole. As it was, I walked on my ankles far longer than I should and ended up having to have a massive nail through the bottom of my foot. I'm now being told the nail will have to come out because it poses a fracture risk. My advice is the check out which fusion option is available.