Psoriatic Arthritis

iMystikz
iMystikz Member Posts: 4
edited 25. Oct 2014, 07:07 in Young people's community
Hello everyone, I'm 21. 22 on the 7th of January and I have Psoriatic Arthritis. I've had it for a good few years but was only properly diagnosed early this year. I've tried methotrexate but I couldn't handle it sadly so this year I've gradually been getting worse and I mostly limp about than walk normal because the pains unbearable! I'd just like to say if anyone needs to talk, drop me a PM. Its nice to talk about it with someone who understands what you are going through, and how hard it actually is to live with it. Rather than people looking at you like you are exaggerating, which makes you want to try to talk about it as less as possible so you don't look like a muppet.

Thanks for reading,
Courtney.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, I too have PsA but I am much older than you and not bothered by what anyone thinks of me (that is about the only blessing of age :wink: ). I'm on meth, humira and sulphasalzine, plus some other bits and pieces, and now have to use a rollator to get about as my joints are shot to bits. Life is not easy at times, all of us on here get that, so please keep in touch either on here or the Living with Arthritis part of the forum (that tends to be read and replied on more often than here) and I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • victoryip
    victoryip Member Posts: 7
    iMystikz wrote:
    Hello everyone, I'm 21. 22 on the 7th of January and I have Psoriatic Arthritis. I've had it for a good few years but was only properly diagnosed early this year. I've tried methotrexate but I couldn't handle it sadly so this year I've gradually been getting worse and I mostly limp about than walk normal because the pains unbearable! I'd just like to say if anyone needs to talk, drop me a PM. Its nice to talk about it with someone who understands what you are going through, and how hard it actually is to live with it. Rather than people looking at you like you are exaggerating, which makes you want to try to talk about it as less as possible so you don't look like a muppet.

Thanks for reading,
    Courtney.

Haha ditto on not wanting to talk about it, there's this link that was posted in the forum, I forget what it was, but if you google "but you don't look sick" and find the post called "spoon theory" you might be able to explain it a tad better, I myself have shown it to a few close friends and it really helps them understand, or so they say
  • Theatergirl
    Theatergirl Member Posts: 2
    Hello I also have Psa I am 17 years old I have been dealing with this since I fractured my knee cap in half which inflamed the arthritis it swells up all the time especially when I am on it for a long period of time
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    kenlawson wrote:
    Hello I also have Psa I am 17 years old I have been dealing with this since I fractured my knee cap in half which inflamed the arthritis it swells up all the time especially when I am on it for a long period of time

Hi, Knee joints are one of the most commonly affected joint in PsA. Experts currently believe that pain and swelling is a sign that joint damage is getting worse. So, your psoriatic arthritis symptoms are a good indication of the toll psoriatic arthritis is taking on your joints.
    I usually use ice during the initial phase of the flare-up, when swelling is most intense. After that, when the inflammation is beginning to settle down, but there’s still some aching involved, a heating pad can be helpful.
    Fruits and veggies are chock-full of vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals (natural chemicals in some plant-based foods), which may help reduce joint pain, swelling, and other psoriatic arthritis symptoms. Because they may have anti-inflammatory benefits, fruits and vegetables should make up the majority of your diet.
    Make sure you exercise slow and understand your body limits , especially when your joints are swollen and inflamed. If the swelling isn't going down after you've been taking your medication for a while, ask your doctor what else you can do to stop any additional damage.

Love, Ken.
    That's good advice Ken :)
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Reverse maps?
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben