Crepitus Joints

freesia
freesia Member Posts: 409
edited 30. Dec 2012, 18:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Gosh both my knees are 'extremely' noisy at the moment.... I believe the GP said it was crepitus.

They are obviously painful daily with OA - but I'm sure the noises are getting worse, and they feel 'squelchy' too.... not nice.... :(

Anyone else have this - can anything be done for this....??
hugs freesia xxx

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Freesia

Good to see you :D

Not sure much can be done about crepitus.....just turn the telly up :wink: Only joking. Does anyone know whether arthroscopies get rid of it - folks who have had this done???

I have it too in my knees and shoulders (sternum :shock: ) and a few other places too, but must be less because I can ignore it pretty well.

Love

Toni xx
  • Stigger
    Stigger Member Posts: 72
    Hi,

I have really loud crepitus too. In my knee and my hip - you could try wearing a knee brace to give some extra support (Boots and other Chemists sell them) but I don't think there is really a cure.

I've learned to 'tune it out' but when the house is quiet, it really freaks people out sometimes - so I tend to keep the radio turned up loud :)

If it is a really problem, your GP should be able to help. Good luck.
  • gilly1957
    gilly1957 Member Posts: 212
    I suffer with crepitus in my knees to and pain, my GP sent me for x-rays as she was convinced I had OA in my knees but it came back normal, but I still have painful knees and they make an awful crunching noise.

Not sure if there is anything that can be done about the noise though. :)

Gill
  • Soretoe2
    Soretoe2 Member Posts: 198
    I have a very noisy neck, sometimes I get one loud report like I've been shot! Then I get some very funny looks I can tell you.
    My consultant told me that this is quite normal with arthritic joints and sometimes when the joints are not arthritic, then it's accumulated gas that 'pops' and I just have to put up with it.
    I have had several washouts in my knees and they still crunch and creak.
    Wish I could say something more positive but crunches and creaks are part of life for some of us .On the up, my 3 year old grandson thinks it's great when I make a particularly loud noise, just like a dinosaur he says......
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    I've always had crepitus in my knees. One dr suggested it was bad osteo but on xray very little to be seen. I don't like it but am used to it!