Depo-medrone side effects?

mld
mld Member Posts: 45
edited 31. Dec 2012, 12:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
I had a depo-medrone injection to help with my RA/AS in December, but I ended up getting very suicidal. Has anyone else ever had a bad side effect to this drug?

It helped a little with me being able to bend my knees for a couple of weeks, but not much help as it also nearly placed me in hospital over the Christmas period.

I'm still low now and wondering how long it will take for the negative effect to wear off.

Any ideas?

Margaret

Comments

• Nicchick
    Nicchick Member Posts: 191
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Made me really sick when I had one in May and according to OH I looked like death....reduced the inflammation but it meant that I could feel the pain in feet, knees and hands more intensely somehow.

I have noticed that as brilliant as the Humira that I'm now on is I have bad dreams and anxiety attacks - my theory is that the part of my brain that copes with and manages pain is freed up slightly so now has room to worry! I've never felt at all worried about the drugs needed to manage RA (or PsA, they keep switching the diagnosis) before but have had some really awful thoughts and real feelings of dread.

Nx
  • scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    Depo-medrone is a steroid injection and all steroid can cause mood changes. It can make some people feel euphoric and manic, and others feel depressed and suicidal. I find that it sometimes makes my mood drop. I'm not a doctor so I can't say how long it will take to wear off, although I would guess that the quicker your system metabolises the injection, the quicker it will wear off. Steroid injections can last anywhere from a few weeks to 3 months.

I hope you feel better soon.
    Scat.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    What an dreadful side-effect! I'd never heard of this. Steroids always make me feel good because I can do so much more with less pain. I suggest you ensure this goes on your records, Margaret, so that it can be avoided in future. If you got little help from it it hardly seems worth having in your case. I hope you're soon feeling much better.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mld
    Thank you for your replies. I suppose I am prone to severe depression etc, but I did ask the doctor whether there was likely to be any interaction between the injection and the drugs I normally take. She had a list of my normal meds, and should have seen that I have mental health issues. (If she had bothered to look up the drugs)

If I had seen the patient information leaflet that went with this drug, I don't think I would have had it, as I have also had a bad side effect from anti-malarial drugs in the past.

The doctor at the hospital just said it would be amazing the effect that it would have on me! She wasn't wrong!!

I won't be having it again!

In January I start on Sulfasalazine, I've looked this up and it seems to be safe, except for the yellow tears etc...

Margaret
  • stickywicket
    I hope you get great results with the sulph, Maragret, and that it's the start of a good year for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Nicchick
    Nicchick Member Posts: 191
    Hi Margaret!

The only side-effect I had with sulf was slightly darker urine and my OH is on it with no side-effects at all.

I did get some relief from it but max dose only seemed to partly stop the joints swelling so I was changed to Meth which also only seemed to partly work.

Good luck with it all!

Nx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I've been on sulph since 2002. When I began I bruised all over my lower body but that cleared after about six weeks. Darker urine is a normal side-effect but I have never cried yellow tears, just the ordinary sort. Others suffer from intial headaches, some from tummy trouble - we are all affected differently. Apparently soft contact lenses can be stained yellow but I don't wear those. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    hi mld
    had the depo med jab few times and just gave me acheing buttocks.
    the sulfasalazine i had to stop, after blood tests show low white blood cell count.(on it 3 weeks) .. now on methotrexate hope works better !
    regular blood test will look out for you .. all the best.
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    always makes me feel good but coming back down can be difficult.
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Gosh Margaret I am sorry :(

Such a shame as lots of people get good results from the depo....

I hope the sulfa helps you loads :D

love

Toni xx
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Just wondering how you are doing? Hope you are feeling a bit better Margaret.
    I've just had another injection. I've always been good with them. I'm on sulpha too. Six per day now, not sure what the max dose is. Been ok with those too, in fact it has done wonders for my IBS & IBD.. Till recently anyway. Wish it would do more for the flareups!
    Think it's Methotrexate next.

Best wishes.

:D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • mld
    New Year's Eve - and I'm creaky!, but less depressed.

Just been out to collect our new toaster. It was larger than I expected, and the shop didn't have a carrier bag. So toaster and I got soaked. Shoulder muscles also were given a working out as I had to carry the box home.

Happy New Year!

Margaret
  • stickywicket
    I'm glad that you're less depressed, Margaret. Happy New Year to you, too, with lots of lovely toast :D
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Margaret
    I have had a couple of Depo injections but I think there are different ones and Im not sure of the ones I had, I am glad the depression is lifting for you...hopefully the injection will start to work on the joints x
    Love
    Barbara