Supplement reccomendations?

Sarah1955
Sarah1955 Member Posts: 8
edited 31. Dec 2012, 10:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
Has anyone here to reccomend any good supplements for pain/swelling whatever OA management? I mainly ask for things that don't require a prescription like herbs or similar. I used to smoke cannabis (mods delete this if you like) from time to time, to take the pain away and relax but my family didn't like it so I stopped. Generally I have no problem with the drugs prescribed to me, but some nights the pain is so intense I really can't sleep... I really need something for that bad nights :mrgreen:

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Supplements work brilliantly at lining the pockets of those who flog 'em - they also work well for those who like to think they have arthritis but don't (all they are experiencing are the relatively minor aches and pains of aging). The term pain killer is a mis-nomer, all they do is dulll the sharper edges of the pain and the stronger the pain relief the more it removes you from the pain, not vice versa. Distraction is one of the most useful techniques for pain management, especially in the dark hours of early morning - occupying your brain with something other than the hurt does help. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    Sorry we cant recommend anything like that. We have no medical knowledge.
    Apart from anything else a lot of supplements or "natural" things eg aromatherapy......are contra-indicated with other medicines or illness.
    ie....anyone with epilepsy shouldnt try aromatherapy......certainly not without a qualified person advising them.
    Good Luck
    I would prefer to use things like that.

Love
    Hileena
  • rockchick
    rockchick Member Posts: 58
    Hey Sarah. I don't know anybody who thinks they have arthritis and doesn't, but hey, I'm guessing you've already been checked out :wink:
    Kinda with you on the cannabis thing. It's the only thing that's ever really helped me with pain relief and sleep. But I understand your family being worried. We can only hope one day the safe medical version will be available for those who need it. I'm sure the money grabbing pharmaceutical companies are already working on how they can make gazillions.

I think capsaicin gel is effective, and safe, for some people, especially for smaller joints, check with your doctor about it, make sure it's okay for you to use it. You just have to give it a few weeks to see if it helps though.

Not sure about others, especially for helping at night. Just check the safety of whatever you do try though. Best of luck.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Sarah

The only "supplement" that has worked for me is heat or ice. A hot water bottle or wheatbag heated in the microwave are my saviours and the electric blanket. I am not so keen on "icing" but it does help to keep swelling down at least a little and alternating with heat and cold can help. For me, personally, applied heat is best.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Sarah1955
    they also work well for those who like to think they have arthritis but don't

I am my MRIs tell the truth!
    I think capsaicin gel is effective, and safe, for some people, especially for smaller joints, check with your doctor about it, make sure it's okay for you to use it. You just have to give it a few weeks to see if it helps though.

Thanks for this, I''ll have a look at it ^_^
  • dreamdaisy
    Oddly enough all of us on here are arthritic (and tried the alternatives) but that doesn't stop those who swear by their copper bangles, their 2p coins stuck inside their shoes, their daily swallowing of glucosamine etc telling us that that is all we need to do. :roll: I am sixteen years into mine and now reliant on a rollator for walking: recently I was lectured by an aquaintance that all I need to do is increase my intake of water and the arthritis will disappear. For crying out loud! :lol: DD
  • hileena111
    Thanks for the post DD
    It was comical....I would have loved to have seen your reaction to that lecture {or maybe I wouldnt :lol: }

Seriously......some people {a few} do get relief from glucosamine and other such things...OK its a placebo but if it works for them its better than popping pills.
    I go back to my previous post about not doing or taking anything without medical advice...still stand by that.

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    Ah Hileena, I behaved as I always do in that kind of situation. I listened, I smiled, I nodded and thanked him, assured him I would try and said I had absolutely no doubt that the next time I saw him I would be free of walking aids. I negelected to say that I already drink between three and four pints of water per day - 'twould be churlish to rain on his little parade of ignorance. There is nothing quite so twerpish as the healthy lecturing the not as to what they need to do. (I had another dose last night from a long-standing friend - dealing politely with that was far harder and I'm still seething.)

I'm sure that some may feel some relief from supplements but if those supplements worked on a universal basis we wouldn't be here. We are because they don't. As we know those that are being helped by the man-made meds or the 'natural' ones don't post because they have no need. That must be pleasant. DD
  • hileena111
    Hi DD

:lol::lol: I can just imagine you "biting your tongue" :lol:

Anyway....I do agree with you about most of these things...that they dont work.
    I nursed a long time ago :lol: I was a student and giving out drugs {under supervision} a lady got sleeping tablets and it was marked on her notes
    that she had had it. We counted the tablets and she hadn't but I was told because it was marked by mistake I couldnt give it to her. :? I was only a student so in no position to argue with the charge nurse.
    Later on she was tossing/turning/complaining she couldnt sleep because she hadnt had her sleeping tablet. ....She always had it crushed on a spoon with a little bit of milk. When the charge nurses back was turned I found an extra strong peppermint in my bag, crushed it with a little bit of milk and gave it to her. She went out like a light :lol::lol::lol:
    That was one of my experiences of a placebo :lol:
    She thought it was a sleeping tablet and making her sleep so she went to sleep right away :lol:

I wish i could find a placebo {I wouldnt care} as long as it made {or I thought it made} the pain go away :lol: It could be a peppermint

Love
    Hileena
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    According to my GP, glucosamine works well for some people with OA, but not others - didn't work for me. Research on one arthritis website showed that Capsaicin gel works well; I used it for a long time and it was good - felt like a kind of instant but not-that-longlasting anaesthetic. Trouble is if you rub your eyes, even having washed your hands, it smarts like hell. Anyway, you can get it on prescription if you want to try it.

DD is right that nothing works when things are really bad, ie no more cartilage left in joints!!! But before that, some things work very well on some people....and some don't.
  • hileena111
    Hi
    Yes I've found a gel.....{dont think I could get it on prescription...I've never tried} Its called pernaton.....helps quite a lot on a short term basis. Doesnt take the pain away but then I havent come across tablets that take it away :roll: I'm trying that at the minute and might try to ease off some meds once things get back to normal :lol: whatever that is :lol:

I agree about your eyes.....I've made that mistake as well :cry:

Love
    Hileena
  • Helenbothknees
    Hileena, I just did a quick search, and it sounds like pernaton is green-lipped mussel extract, which I've also tried, though the tablets not the cream. The tablets worked for me for a while, though not that well.

Concerning Capsaicin, that is also available OTC, though hard to find. But if you ask your GP, he can prescribe it. I asked him, because the OTC one was so expensive! He didn't know if it worked, but was happy with me trying, as it's all natural and no side effects. I used a lot at a time and I used it for ages, and it was very good....at the time.

Eventually, nothing worked and I needed TKRs. But not everyone gets to that point, so all these things are worth a try.

I think I may have a tube or two of Capsaicin
    left; if anyone wants to try them, pm me and I'll send them on. Oops, is that OK, as it was prescribed; if not, mods remove this bit.
  • hileena111
    Hi
    I might look for the capiscum cream.
    It might work on some places but I had a THR a few years ago and was due the 2nd one about 4 months later.....they started investigating my back and the 2nd THR never got done and its just starting to play up badly now.
    Thanks for the info
    Love
    Hileena
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    I reckon I've tried the lot ...

Pineapple extract, apple vinegar extract, glucosamine with or without chronditin, green mussel cream. Plus the inevitable copper bracelet of course.

Only thing that's helped me is cod liver oil capsules - I take 2 x 1,000mg capsules per day. I was told by a physio years ago that if you are on a supplement the only way to see if it helps is to stop taking it for a few days. If the pain worsens it's helping - if not, save your money. If I run out of my capsules and have to order (I use a Channel Islands company - PM me if you want the details) and I have to wait a week for new ones to arrive I am a lot stiffer. My ortho bods are happy that I'm on these.

I've also had it suggested that I try Evening Primrose Oil - apparently when you get to a 'certain age' that can also help with other issues. As I'm not - quite - 'there' yet I can't comment.

My thoughts - for what they're worth - if you think something may help get a small quantity and try it - obviously making sure that they don't interfere with your prescribed meds. However, be sensible re the amount of money you spend.

Good luck - if you find a miracle cure please let me know!

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Hi everyone. How I agree with some of the comments you have been posting. I can vouch for Capsaicin cream as I use it but the effect doesn't last too long. My GP also prescribes Voltarol gel for me so I use both. Not sure that they have a tremendous effect but as the saying goes "every little helps" when you are in agony!

I find that the most relief I get is from a warmed wheatbag in the microwave. I take one to bed - don't have an 'other half' to consider -(having also put electric blanket on about an hour before bedtime) and it is lovely to get a little relief - as you all know. I've tried Glucosamine (with and without chondroitin) but didn't find it worked for me but I know some people say it does help.

I completely agree with you DD about comments people make and tongue-biting is often needed. I'm not sure they mean to be so unkind and their attitude is because they don't really understand what we are all going through with the pain. Arthritis can't be seen as is the case with someone with a broken arm or ankle, and therefore it is very difficult for non-sufferers to actually realise the problems.

My 'gripe' is that we are all told to exercise as much as possible (which is totally understandable). However, when walking is one of the things which causes the most pain, it is impossible to walk very far, and I do wish the medical 'experts' would try and realise that.

Hope you all had as good a Christmas as possible - hopefully without too much pain - and wish all 'my forum friends' a Happy New Year.

Beryl
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    hi shrah 1955
    unfortunley im the same, been and still trying and hopeing 4 the wonder cure (aint found it yet) maybee a little red wine (small amount)? :wink:

think might be some truth in this grace b,, the m/in law always had spoonfull every day cod liver oil, she was able to get about right up to when she died 91 good age.mike26.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    DD is right that nothing works when things are really bad, ie no more cartilage left in joints!!! But before that, some things work very well on some people....and some don't.

I think that's an interesting point and explains quite a lot.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Sarah1955
    Nice responses people! I have found a supplement with capsacain and other natural stuff that supposedly reduce arthritis pain without intervening with prescribed meds.. It is manufactured in USA and not China or something so hopefully it might be of help, I will let you know how it goes ^_^
  • Helenbothknees
    About the whole exercise thing...
    I was never told to exercise, but then I went to the GP as little as possible. However, I kept the muscles flexible and strong by doing yoga. I thoroughly recommend it as youi're not walking much, if at all, but it does build strength in your muscles. As for flexibility, before the TKRs I could hardly walk, but my knees bent right back, and now they do too - I can almost kneel back on my heels, but not quite. I put much of this down to years of yoga. But do get a good teacher, and listen to your body if you try it. Just a thought...