Swelling behind knee with inflamm arthritis?

lizzy100
lizzy100 Member Posts: 235
edited 5. Jan 2013, 07:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all. I'm on methotrexate for inflamm arthritis. I had an iron infusion the other week and since then my joint pains got worse and this morning my knee hurt and I looked in the mirror and the back of one of my knees is really swollen but like fluid filled. And the other knee is thin and normal. I was wondering if anyone else gets swelling on the back of their knees. As the Rhemm only ever looks at the front!

Comments

• mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi lizzy 100
    think the roomy prob knows it spreds around to back of knee,
    its the same 4 me very bad swelling to front & back getting to the stage where difficult to walk.im on the met as well so far so good yerr hope it works.next time i see my roomy might talk about draining some of the fluid off this knee .(hopefully the met takes down the inflamation.)
    wont need it then. best wishes. mike26 :roll:
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Hi Lizzy
    It sounds like a bakers cyst its common if you suffer from Arthritis there is no treatment unless it causes intense pain
    Just google it like I do with everything I get wrong with me :roll:
    best wishes for the new year
    Maria
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Swelling to the back of the knee could be a Bakers but it could also be general inflammation. What are your bloods showing? What size is the swelling, is it like a ball or a different shape? The back of my right knee sometimes swells like there's a small ball under my skin but it doesn't cause any bother. I think this is something for your GP or rheumatologist rather than us or the internet. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lizzy100
    I thought bakers cysts were only with OA.?anyway sometimes its both legs too. my rheummatologist doesnt care, he says he cant see any swelling but he never looks at the back.
    the front doesnt seem to swell, its just at the back. its not like a ball, just like fluid.
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    No any form of arthritis can get them
    DDs right get it checked out at your Doctors
    Rheumatologist seem to be a breed of their own
    Mine has told me he can get me fully active again once on the right meds I have inflammatory Arthritis but also have OA too but I think hes forgotten that!!! Otherwise why do I need further foot surgery due to OA :roll:
    Hoping you have a good year ahead
    Maria
  • dreamdaisy
    My rheumatologist has never looked at the back of my knees but she feels them when she's checkiing the joints. Touch sometimes gives a better feedback than vision. Baker's cysts can happen to anyone, arthritic or not. DD
  • lizzy100
    he doesnt even get me to take my trousers off, so dont know how he'd feel. I dont think you get bakers cysts on both sides and would be a bit odd since its arthritis pain.
  • dreamdaisy
    I've always worn a skirt to my rheumatology appointments simply for 'ease of access' for both parties. What do you mean by both sides? The front and back or the left and right? DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi lizzy
    I was going to say bakers cyst, but both knees,it does sound like a build up of fluid from the inflammation, if it gets too much maybe they will offer to drain them for you.
    Love
    Barbara
  • lizzy100
    yea both legs. i dont think theres enough to drain, just wondering if anyone else gets it just at the back.