unspecified sereonegative arthritis - back pain

lynnemarie1123
lynnemarie1123 Member Posts: 295
edited 2. Jan 2013, 16:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All,

Its been years since i have been on this site!, i was diagnosed with the above about 7 years ago now, on sulpha and s/r anti inflam's and cope fairly well - i like to say i am in control of my disease rather than than the other way round! however... the past 6 months have been the opposite - my knees flared (never had them as a prob before) swollen hot and bruised looking because i was doing a rather intense workout dvd - naughty me! - anyway stopped that - spoke to consultant end of last month - all had calmed down and felt fine again.

These past few days i have been in agony with the right hand side lower back - shooting pains, can hardly lift my right leg without pain, turning over is bad - getting up and down from sitting position to the point where i am nearly in tears!! - and its scaring the hell out of me! - when i have flares before i do get pain in the same region and struggle to walk for a while but it eases and i make sure i take it easy have my anti inflammatories and pain relief etc and it goes away after a few hours. This time its different - i hadnt been doing anything strenous - just sale shopping in our local village was only out a couple of hours!! - i am going to go to the GP's tom but wonder if its my arthur or a trapped muscle etc?? - its gone on since Friday aft - it is slightly easier today but not sure if its because i have tried to be more active!! i feel like i am in my 80's not 36! (i have a bit of cold at the moment also and feel run down - not sure if that is relevant). I am a teaching assistant and are always on the go - however on xmas hols at the moment so the bugs are attacking :( please please please help with some advice people xxxx

Comments

• tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi hun.
    I've got osteoarthritis in the lower spine and know just how horrid back pain is.
    Can't really give much advice though other than keep up with the meds and rest.
    I do get the muscular pains too, the only thing that helps me then is bed rest and diazapam.. I'm not saying take diazapam, not unless your GP tells you too lol..

Best wishes and I hope things ease soon. Keep posting :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • lynnemarie1123
    fanks for replying :)

i am not good on pain relief - I feel sick on strong painkillers but refuse to let this spoil NYE! I am hoping the GP will hold all the answers tom - letting myself in for disappointment then as in my experience i know more about arthur than they do!! x
  • tjt6768
    really hope they can help you...

This crappy disease has spoilt way too much in my life so I understand.
    :D

Stay strong :wink:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • wall1409
    wall1409 Member Posts: 294
    Hi, I agree with Tony. It sounds like a trapped nerve although I'm no doctor but with OA of the lower spine like Tony , we do get that a lot, I am currently inder investigattion for seronegative RA. Hope it eases soon try stretches the leg to the side using your other leg to see if it will free.

Wendy xx
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Hi,

I too agree with Tony, but I tend to take the stronger pain meds in an emergency to knock me out.

I find a good rest really helps. I have lower back OA and am a teacher. I was in agony at the end of term but then caught norovirus. The three days of enforced rest cured my back for a short while! Not that I think you want to get the norovirus but I know the received wisdom is to keep going with back pain but for me total rest always helps. I mean total rest though. Oh and a hot bath too.

Maybe try taking the stronger pain meds tomorrow and stay in bed for a couple of days if you can.

Hope you feel better soon.
    Helen
  • Mumof1
    Mumof1 Member Posts: 42
    Dear lynnmarie, what you describe sounds very much like me, I also find it very difficult to get in and out of cars and climb the stairs, my problem is my sacro iliac joint.
  • lynnemarie1123
    Hi all, thank you for your replies!, I went to the GP yesterday who said he thought it was a motor problem and not directly to do with arthur!, gave me stronger painkillers and ibu gel! And said it would prob go away in a few weeks :(
    I was in absolute agony! - went to visit a friend who is a trained massure (but not mdically trained and didn't know much about my condition which is why I hadn't gone to her in the first place!, anyway she manipulated me no problem! Until she figured it was my hip that was damaged - probably to do with my condition and the muscle has grown over the joint to protect it (this has prob gone on for years) - all the way down my leg and thigh muscle was agony! And for the rest of the day! However today I feel a little better and freeer! - I can't believe the pain in my lower back is due to my hip joint!?? - anyone else had a similar problem? Xx
  • tjt6768
    I have had them tell me the opposite whenever my hip hurts, which is quite a lot lol.. ooo, it's deferred pain from your spine.. :shock: :roll:

I reckon they just don't know, but if that is the case, tell me.

Glad things are becoming a little easier.. Can you ask the GP for a referall to a pain clinic? They know their stuff. I had the four nerves at the lower spine killed to death with radio waves last year, was a painful thing to have done (I am sure they dint use enough local :o ) but it worked well... I am starting to suffer with it again slowly but that was a pain I had had pwrmanantly for years..

Best wishes :wink:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • acheyaudball
    acheyaudball Member Posts: 28
    Hi all, thank you for your replies!, I went to the GP yesterday who said he thought it was a motor problem and not directly to do with arthur!, gave me stronger painkillers and ibu gel! And said it would prob go away in a few weeks :(
    I was in absolute agony! - went to visit a friend who is a trained massure (but not mdically trained and didn't know much about my condition which is why I hadn't gone to her in the first place!, anyway she manipulated me no problem! Until she figured it was my hip that was damaged - probably to do with my condition and the muscle has grown over the joint to protect it (this has prob gone on for years) - all the way down my leg and thigh muscle was agony! And for the rest of the day! However today I feel a little better and freeer! - I can't believe the pain in my lower back is due to my hip joint!?? - anyone else had a similar problem? Xx

I have congenital hip dysplasia, that and arthritis due to a labral tear. Orthopaedic surgeon did mri with dye but would only do an arthroscopy because of me getting pain in my lower back as well. Keyhole surgery did not go well, they cleared the hip out but Arthur too bad and now I'm waiting to go in and get the hip replaced. Dunno if back pain is caused by my walking or something else though.

Audball
  • lynnemarie1123
    Audball,

poor you! :( - i am hoping my pain will magically disappear x - yours too :) x
  • acheyaudball
    acheyaudball Member Posts: 28
    Audball,

poor you! :( - i am hoping my pain will magically disappear x - yours too :) x

Thanks Lynemarie

I've been hoping that for ages. lol. Cant wait to get this hip replaced, been off sick since end of August, but waiting to see when i'm going in for it before doing anything rash. Ha ha..... probably better off at work, at least i cant think about the pain as much... Just get on with it. :D