knees

Options
tyreon
tyreon Member Posts: 15
edited 31. Dec 2012, 12:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all. I am a keen cyclist and walker. I have Ankolysing Spondylitis. I take biologics and anti inflammatories. Recently the excess synovial fluid which is behind both knees(and which is given the name Popliteal cysts/Bakers cysts)has been impeding my activities. I have had this fluid aspirated and steroidal medication administered. Both worked okay...for a time.But now the synovial fluid just isn't going away,and is impeding my activities. This synovial fluid comes from a tear in the meniscus(so I believe). Has anyone had this tear repaired? Stapled? Sewn? Thru arthoscopy or general anaesthetic?No? What about complete knee replacement?
A lot of people have this excess fluid,but make no complaint against it(because it causes no trouble/disipates).But with me,it is compromising what sporting activities I can do.Has anyone had this problem resolved through mechanical intervention(surgery),coupled with medication?I don't want any form of invasive intervention,but feel I am going to have to have it or be confined to watching Terry Wogan all day!
Yes,I can and will be referred to an orthopaedic surgeon,but in the meantime I wonder what experience/knowledge is ou there.Ta for experience/help/feedback

Comments

• mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I had both knees stabbed back in 2008 and had a flush out and deburment and I can definetly say THINK long and hard before you let them dig about inside, draining of fluid is one thing but an OP can make it worse, or in my case seriously worse, try and adjust your sport as best you can, you might also have to face the fact you can't carry on at the level you are, once the rot has set in it's a down hill road so you need to try and keep active but extend the life of your knees as best you can, botom line is you aer not going to be able to keep going at the same level of activity as you use to do just try and find a good balance.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I reckon the production of fluid is to do with the disease so there is no easy answer. I had all my solidified swelling cut out in 2002 and thought my troubles were gone - I can't believe I was such a twerp. :roll: You are on meds to control it and they aren't doing that so well by the sounds of it, what are your bloods showing? How long have you been on the anti-inflam and the biologic? Drugs can (and do) lose their effectiveness and a drugs review may be useful; when are you bext seeing your rheumatologist? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    My hubby had a bakers cyst, which suddenly burst , and believe me he was in a lot of pain, he always says if it comes back he will have it drained...so far so good..he didnt have any repair done on it.
    Love
    Barbara