Chicken names

frogmella
frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
edited 5. Jan 2013, 09:38 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi!

I bought myself 8 new hens on Friday to increase my chances of dippy eggs in the new year. I am at a loss for names though and wondered if any of you might have any nice ideas.

I like "proper" names generally although names from the past/present include Frogmella, Spangle, Molly, Bono, Mrs Chicken, Hillary and Tensing.

The new additions are various colours - one is a lovely reddy ginger and I am thinking she might be called Queenie after Queenie in Blackadder. The others are cream, a light sussex (white with black collar), two bluey grey, a black and white stripey one, black with some white splashes and a black with a ginger front.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Helen (chicken lady!!)

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Ohh, how exciting and what a lovely sounding bunch! Do you have room for a Mary given they arrived near Christmas? Or a Holly, Ivy...I think you can see where I'm going. Cranberry? I hope they are all merrily laying for you. LV xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • LignumVitae
    I'll stop now but Josephine sounds like a fine chicken name to me
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Hi

How about Ginger and Rocky? Im thinking Chicken Run as thats the two I can think of, there was a scottish one too cant rermember her name...Cool to have chicks, im very jealous! Delicious eggs - YUM!

Elainexx
    frogmella wrote:
    Hi!

I bought myself 8 new hens on Friday to increase my chances of dippy eggs in the new year. I am at a loss for names though and wondered if any of you might have any nice ideas.

I like "proper" names generally although names from the past/present include Frogmella, Spangle, Molly, Bono, Mrs Chicken, Hillary and Tensing.

The new additions are various colours - one is a lovely reddy ginger and I am thinking she might be called Queenie after Queenie in Blackadder. The others are cream, a light sussex (white with black collar), two bluey grey, a black and white stripey one, black with some white splashes and a black with a ginger front.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Helen (chicken lady!!)
  • LignumVitae
    I think I am done at this but could the white one be snowy? Or, could the black one with white splashes be snowflake? xx
  • frogmella
    Some good ideas there! I do love my chickens - they are the most useful animals of my menagerie! I think Queenie is sticking for the ginger one, although Ginger is a good name! I do like Josephine - I will go and have a look at them and see if any of the others looks like a Josephine.

Thank you!

Helen
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Helen

Bunty was the one names from Chicken Run I was thinking of the scottish one and the other one with glasses on was called Babs!!...Ha

Elainexx
    frogmella wrote:
    Some good ideas there! I do love my chickens - they are the most useful animals of my menagerie! I think Queenie is sticking for the ginger one, although Ginger is a good name! I do like Josephine - I will go and have a look at them and see if any of the others looks like a Josephine.

Thank you!

Helen
  • frogmella
    Oh yes, Bunty! I have named the red one Queenie and the black one with ginger neck feathers is now Josephine. Only 6 more names to stick now!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    what was frogmella's sister called?

I remember - Spudulike Pronounced Spud-U- licka

I loved that sketch :oops:

Toni xx
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Hello Chicken Lady
    back when i was a child my dad brought a hen home, the plan was to eat it at christmas but after playing with it for a week prior to the roasting he could not do it. I named her HENRYETTA.
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    how about calling them DINNER?? :shock:
    I shall imediately place myself on the naughty step and await punishment :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    How about Korma, Madras, Tikka Masala, Dansak, Biriani, Vindaloo, or my fovorite Jalfrezi. :wink:
    I am trying to be helpfull - sorry I could not resist I know your chickens will be as precious to you as my cat is to me.
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    When I had hens, I called my cockerel Paxo. The hens were Henrietta, Hattie, Hilary, Hermione, Helen and StepHENie.
  • frogmella
    Toni - we had a spudulike, she looked like frogmella hence we called her spudulike! You are the only person EVER to get that they are named after Wayne and Waynetta slob's kids!!

Our proper cockerel is called Jack Russell, because he was one we had hatched and then the fox killed Genghis (his dad) so one of his sons got to stay and we chose him so he was a keeper, gettit? We do have a fair few cockerels - we only managed to kill that one year and since then the others have stayed.

Tony!! We don't eat the hens and, as you can tell, we have only managed to kill and eat 4 cockerels. I always meant to kill the spare roosters but the time never seemed right for killing somehow....

Numpty - Hattie is a good name. I might steal that one.

lululu - you are right, they are precious. I feed them porridge when there is a frost. They are pretty cossetted, although not as much as the cats!
  • wall1409
    wall1409 Member Posts: 294
    I named 3 of my battery hens I adopted red, margaret and agatha, but now we have an extra 4 that all look alike!

Wendy xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Frogmella :)

I used to love Wayne and Waynetta! I wanted to be like them "I am having a ****!!!!!!" They kept their place spotless didn't they :lol:

Love it love it :lol:

Love

Toni xxx
  • frogmella
    Wendy - I had a Red too! It is hard when they all look the same.

Toni - yes, the slobs do make even my house look like a show house!! :wink:
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    How about Bilbo and Bangin’s for names?, or even maybe Cajun!?. I love Cajun chicken!!.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Only thing I can come up with is Gertrude, for no reason as it just sprung to mind :) Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I do love chickens and wish I had the room for some...they are so calming sitting there listening to them....has for names...well you have quite a few to pick from there...I do like one of Elaine's BABS....never had a chicken called after me before.... :lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmella
    So far the names are, drumroll please!.....
    Queenie, Josephine, Parma, Violet and Annie Peck (to continue the explorer theme).
    Just three to go now!
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far. :D
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    I know it's not a proper name but what about Humbug for the stripey one? I like Emma, Matilda or Duchess.
    Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    My friends used to have chickens (until a fox got 'em). Their names included Cilla, Petula, Dusty, Mabel and Glory (she was a stunner). DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmella
    They are all named now -
    Parma, Violet, Josephine, Luna, Annie Peck, Flash, Hattie and Queenie! Thanks for all the suggestions. You can see I have used a couple of them!

:D