Newly diagnosed osteoarthritis in knees..

Sharrazan
Sharrazan Member Posts: 2
edited 4. Jan 2013, 14:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,
I am a newby here and have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both knees. I am 64 and recently this has been really effecting my quality of life.
I used to love walking, and still walk but not for too long as it is too difficlult now! although I realise I must exercise as much as possible so looking for advice here please :)
I would also like to buy an exercise bike but worry I will do more damage than good. I am also due to have injections in both knees, and wonder if any of you out there can comment on them ie can they really make a difference?
Any help and advice to help me would be really appreciated.
Many thanks,
Sharrazan

Comments

• elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Sharrazan

Welcome to the forum!
    Your post sounded identical to me not so long ago only mine was ostechondritis dissecans in left knee since age of 18, it got worse when i was just over 40...Like you I used to enjoy walking, got myself a walking stick and blue badge...
    I do know exercise bike exercises are classed as "non weight bearing exercises" but I also do know, as i had to join a gym to lose weight that the recumbent bike (the one where youre not sat upright, more leaning back) is better too...Swimming is of course an excellent form of exercise....
    It all depends on what your doctor says, how much damage has been done to the joints, id go and find that out first before making exercise plans.
    As for injections, for some it works, for some it doesnt, its a lottery im afraid...(Take it you mean steroid injections by the way?)...For me they didnt work one bit, you may be different...

Good Luck and hopefully some others may reply with other advice for you...

Elainexx
    Sharrazan wrote:
    Hi,
    I am a newby here and have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both knees. I am 64 and recently this has been really effecting my quality of life.
    I used to love walking, and still walk but not for too long as it is too difficlult now! although I realise I must exercise as much as possible so looking for advice here please :)
    I would also like to buy an exercise bike but worry I will do more damage than good. I am also due to have injections in both knees, and wonder if any of you out there can comment on them ie can they really make a difference?
    Any help and advice to help me would be really appreciated.
    Many thanks,
    Sharrazan
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hi, it's nice to meet you and I hope we can help with information and support. I too have OA in both knees (and both ankles) and other joints are affected by my other auto-immune arthritis. (I began my troubles in 1997 aged 38). My walking, bike-riding and swimming days are long gone but cycling is good exercise as it is non-weight-bearing - the same goes for swimming. It is very easy, however, to overdo things and you must ensure that you rest the joints as well as exercising them. I always sit with my feet up (and a pillow under my knees as they no longer lie flat) and I now cook etc sitting down so that I don't aggravate things too much with standing.

You can still enjoy walking - wear good, supportive shoes, take some pain dullers a little while before you set off (don't aim to go too far :wink: ) and do not be afraid to use some form of walking support - that can make all the difference. I invested in a rollator (a year ago now) and that has changed my life - I can queue again! :D

What has your GP recommended for your OA? I take co-codamol 30/500 for pain relief and diclofenac (an anti-inflammatory). DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I love steroid jabs but they don't help everyone. To give them their best chance rest as much as possible for 48 hours after having them.

Exercise, as you realise, is good and swimming and cycling are the recommended ones as the joints are supported while being put through their paces. Arthritis Care have a helpful booklet on exercise - just check out the Publications and Resources at the top of the page.

I don't know if you are still able to walk in the countryside but, if so, a pair of those walkers' sticks might help. My husband swears they take a lot of pressure off the knees especially when going downhill.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Welcome from me too.. I'm another osteo in the knees sufferer. Have had a lot of clean-out ops on them and several injections, sadly they've only really worked the once but I'm always willing to try whatever is available. I've had knee trouble thirty yrs now. Wish they would just replace em now..

Anyway, I hope you find this place as useful as we do.. :D

Best wishes

X
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Welcome from me as well

I dont have knee problems....my problem is hips {among other things}
    You seem to have got very good advice from everyone else
    I just want to say......if you need it get a stick or a walker {I've got a 4 wheel one} or even a scooter.
    Talk to a physiotherapist if you can....they are so much more knowledgable about that sort of thing than the GP's or consultants.
    My motto is use it or lose it......so even if i do use aids at least I'm walking.
    I rarely use the scooter.

Love
    Hileena
  • blueknees
    blueknees Member Posts: 90
    Hi Sharrazan, welcome to the madhouse :)

I had OA both knees and six months ago had a TKR.

My OA started about 4 years ago and eventually got worse and led to the replacement.

I have experienced injections in both knees but found them no help at all, however that does not mean they will not work for you.

As for cycling a Physio once told me to cycle as the fluids produced around the knee joint act as a lubricant and help the joint while cycling. It is true and I found cycling really enjoyable. I am a fair weather cyclist and have not been on the bike for almost a 2 years but now look forward to the better weather when I will give it another go.

It is important to exercise and keep the legs strong because if surgery is the way forward you need strong leg muscles to aid recovery.

My new knee operation has not worked for me, my surgeon has apologised to me but he will not revise the TKR as he feels it will not help. I am left with a stiff and painful joint.

I have tried extensive therapy but all that did was hurt with no benefit.

I now walk a little and try to get on with what I have.

Good luck with yours and happy new year. :)
  • dizzylizzy13
    dizzylizzy13 Member Posts: 16
    Thank you all for your replies. Maybe I am being a bit dim so I was wondering if you could answer my query regarding the stiffness of my lower back. I have only been experiencing this problem over the past few months. My back is fine in the morning but I notice by the time I leave work and walk home (10 minute walk) my back is painful and very stiff and can't bend hardly at all. I've just looked at the letter from the consultant and he says the following. I felt the pain in her cervical spine was also due to spondylosis. I have explained that she has osteoarthritis of her knees with cervical spondylosis. He didn't examine me, I just told him where the pain was. Now I don't have any problem with my neck or upper back, just my lower back. I thought cervical spondylosis refers to the neck area? Perhaps someone can enlighten me.
  • dizzylizzy13
    dizzylizzy13 Member Posts: 16
    Thank you all for your replies. Maybe I am being a bit dim so I was wondering if you could answer my query regarding the stiffness of my lower back. I have only been experiencing this problem over the past few months. My back is fine in the morning but I notice by the time I leave work and walk home (10 minute walk) my back is painful and very stiff and can't bend hardly at all. I've just looked at the letter from the consultant and he says the following. I felt the pain in her cervical spine was also due to spondylosis. I have explained that she has osteoarthritis of her knees with cervical spondylosis. He didn't examine me, I just told him where the pain was. Now I don't have any problem with my neck or upper back, just my lower back. I thought cervical spondylosis refers to the neck area? Perhaps someone can enlighten me.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hi dizzylizzy13, we replied to the original poster who is Sharrazan, maybe you have posted on the wrong thread? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben