weight loss buddy?

L1985
L1985 Member Posts: 120
edited 19. Feb 2013, 10:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone

Happy New Year!

Before Christmas I asked about exercise and weight loss and everyone was really helpful.

I just wondered if anyone else out there was also trying to lose weight and if they wanted to chat on this thread to support each other etc. I know you can join weight watchers and places like that but 'normal' people dont understand how we struggle espec when we look ok.

It would be good to talk to people who understand how difficult it is. Since upping my thyroid medication (on advice of the doc) I have lost 4pounds! I have a feeling they will say its too high now!

Id like to lose another 7 pounds if possible

Anyone want to join me?

Lulu xxx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I'm not particularly trying to lose weight but Turbogran, on Chit Chat, is keeping us all updated, weekly, with her own weight loss which has been impressive. Why not PM her?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Lulu

I lost over 3 stone in the past year and a half..It was to prepare for knee replacement surgery..I did it the sensible way, zeroed carb intake as much as possible, no potatoes, bread etc, did just double up on veg instead....I also attended a gym where they did a program for me and went to hydrotherapy twice a week also...It wasnt easy and I wasnt looking for fast loss as I dont believe thats the best way to do it...

Good luck

Elainexx
    L1985 wrote:
    Hi everyone

Happy New Year!

Before Christmas I asked about exercise and weight loss and everyone was really helpful.

I just wondered if anyone else out there was also trying to lose weight and if they wanted to chat on this thread to support each other etc. I know you can join weight watchers and places like that but 'normal' people dont understand how we struggle espec when we look ok.

It would be good to talk to people who understand how difficult it is. Since upping my thyroid medication (on advice of the doc) I have lost 4pounds! I have a feeling they will say its too high now!

Id like to lose another 7 pounds if possible

Anyone want to join me?

Lulu xxx
  • Tubby
    Tubby Member Posts: 177
    I am on a mission to lose weight this year - stones rather than pounds though! Starting Monday as I am getting through the final Christmas crap first.... I am sure it will be a challenge but I am with you all the way. Keep in touch with your progress
  • L1985
    hi everyone

sorry don't get online often so not ignoring anyone :lol:

stickeywicket - thanks for letting me know I'll have a look at what she has put :D

elaine-thanks for the tips

tubby - I decided to try loose 7pounds first and then do another 7 I'm bothered if set too high target and I don't manage it then I'll give up. good luck for your start date.

I have been good and stopped eating my chocolate the rest of my diet is OK but that is my naughty habit

Lulu xxx
  • RosieGlow
    RosieGlow Member Posts: 175
    Hi Lulu,

I decided in March last year - on my wedding anniversary actually - that I was going to lose weight. I have never really tried before but, once I make up my mind to do something I usually stick to it.

In that time I`ve lost three stone six lbs, and I`m so pleased. What has amazed me is that I haven`t felt deprived in any way. I have eaten pretty much whatever I have felt like, provided it has been no more than 1300/1500 calories a day. I started to use my exercise bike for just ten minutes a day, building up to thirty minutes. I could do longer now, but it bores me silly. I didn`t stint over Christmas, although I didn`t go mad either. Consequently, whilst I didn`t lose anything, I didn`t put anything back on. I`m going for another stone or so, and then I will be able to fit into my wedding dress......not that I plan on wearing it again!.....Rosie x
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    I go to Slimming World and although I cant do much in the line of exercise {like the rest of them :lol: } I've got to target weight and its a healthy eating plan...not a diet that you stop when you lose enough weight.

You are right to give yourself small goals rather than think of the final weight you want to be. Treat yourself when you get to those small goals...not food... :lol:
    Dont just think of your weight either......measure yourself...its surprising that sometimes you dont lose much weight but can get into some clothes you couldnt before....thats a boost I find.
    Love
    Hileena
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    I need to lose weight but not sure I'm in the right frame of mind at the moment. I'll keep an eye on the rest of you, if you don't mind, and maybe it will inspire me to get started. Good luck with it.
    Christine
  • L1985
    hi everyone

well I started the new year with all the best intentions of losing some weight. Then last sat I ended up in hospital with severe muscle pain and fatigue ....blinking my eyes was an effort. I haven't even properly started any exercise regime o can't blame that. its come as a massive blow to me as a week later I still don't feel well and nobody knows what's causing the muscle pain. my rhuemy nurse ran some blood tests but all was normal apart from white blood cells have dropped due to medication. I feel so angry with myself as its just another reminder I'm not like other people my age.

my muscles really hurt in tops of my legs and arms and I have not felt tiredness like it. also keep waking up with pins and needles in my hand and foot.

sorry for moan looks like I'll have to put things on hold just for the moment

xxx
  • Mutley1964
    Mutley1964 Member Posts: 19
    Hi Lulu!
    So sorry to hear your having a rough time at the moment :-( Really hope your feeling much better soon. Regarding wanting to lose weight, I find I can pile it on really quickly but as for getting it off???? Uummmm, a very different story :-( However, like others on here, when I knew I was going to have the knee replacement I decided I owed it not only to myself, but also to the poor buggers who had to drag my blobby body from one bed to the other, to be in slightly better shape so to speak! I lost a stone prior to surgery by following the Slimming World plan at home. Wasn't always focused as we all have good days and NOT so good days, whether it be pain or with dieting :-) However, if your following a healthy diet, you know your giving your body the absolute best, nutrition wise, which can only be a good thing. Also, by trying to follow a healthy eating routine, it's YOU that is taking control of the situation unlike with your condition which unfortunately controls you. Really hope you can find that right frame of mind to get back on track and hopefully lose a few lbs as well! I REALLY would like to lose another stone now so that I can fully enjoy the benefits my new knee will give me! Keep in touch & hopefully we can encourage each other! In the mean time, a big hug coming your way and hoping you feel brighter soon x
  • L1985
    HI Mutley1964

Thank you for your kind words and hug :D . Well done on your achievements so far :D Im hoping to be back on track once I feel better :roll: Havent got on the scales yet waiting until I feel upto it.

Would love to hear how your getting on would help keep me motivated.

Lulu xxx
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Hi L1985
    I am up for a weight loss buddy, but sorry to hear you have been feeling rough. i hope you start to feel a little better soon.
    I have lost just over 2 stones since October, mainly down to loss of appetite due to meds, but I am trying now to keep it off and lose more!
    I am not able to do any exericse as such at the moment as even walking is painful, but am still trying to lose a bit. It is difficult, but i have really cut back on portion sizes and stopped snacking. I am a comfort eater usually and when I am stuck indoors I often find myself wandering into the kitchen. However if I don`t buy in snack food, i can`t eat it!!
    I hope you feel well again soon x
    NB
  • Nasic
    Nasic Member Posts: 16
    Hope you start to feel better soon :) Dieting when having a bad patch can be almost impossible but hopefully when you start to pick up it'll be easy for you :) Like hileena111 I too use slimming world, I've only just been diagnosed with OA so my weight loss was for myself rather than the OA. I've lost over 3 stone since march last year and that's just from the eating plans! I've still a little bit to go until I'm happy with myself but I've gone from a size 22 to 16/18 :) Slimming world is so easy to follow and you can even do it online! There are also websites with hundreds of member invented recipes and forums to help support others and offer information minimins is a great forum that I use all the time.

Hope you manage to feel well enough to do it and succeed! :D
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    i notice no-one said how heavy they are im 16 stone and would like to be 12 stone
    colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • Nasic
    Nasic Member Posts: 16
    I was just over 15 stone and I'm now around 11 and a half :)
    You can do it Colin! Just stay motivated!
  • L1985
    Wow its impressive how much weight people have lost. Its hard enough as it is without the added complication of arthritis.

I feel more like me today and the muscle pains are easing ...but then again I have done literally nothing for over a week so dont know if they will return when I start moving about again we will see.

I was 11 stone 7 at the beginning of december im 5foot 2 so am a size 16 on the bottom.

Got on the scales this morning and im 11 stone 1 pound. Only been eating less but not been exercising so thats about 6 pounds in a month. Got a feeling things will stay the same now as cant really eat any less :oops: my diet isnt too bad although I do have a sweet tooth.

What exercises are people doing if any? :lol:

xxx
  • shandy4greenday
    shandy4greenday Member Posts: 344
    I also joined slimming World 2 weeks ago and have lost 2 and 1/2 pounds in the 2 weeks I am now a bit concerned as today I have just found out I have Inflammatory arthritis and have been given a steroid injection so now I am worried about the extra weight gain after doing so well so far :(
  • L1985
    how is everyone doing?

Got on the scales today an im now 10stone 12 so thats another 3 pounds lost :D

I havent been able to do any exercise as my muscles are still so painful. Id determined I will do some lol.

Hope everyone is ok

Lulu xxx
  • MerryChapman
    MerryChapman Member Posts: 45
    Please can I join in?

I'd love to lose 3-4 stone but am having a little bit of trouble with exercising at the moment. Please keep me away from chocolate and wine!

I'm 13 stone 1lb at the moment.
  • shandy4greenday
    I've lost 6 pounds so far all together in about 5-6 weeks so I'm getting there slowly.
  • L1985
    Merrychapman - of course you can the more the merrier. Im a devil for eating chocolate :oops: I have to hide it from myself :lol:

Shandy4greenday - Thats brilliant well done. How have you done it?

I really need to start trying to do more exercising. Im struggling with walking at the moment so just taking short walks little and often. Its frustrating when you want to do more

xxx
  • shandy4greenday
    I joined slimming world it's very good cause your not too restricted you can still eat stuff normally just eat more healthy I don't even want other stuff but I have little treats at weekends.I don't eat much bread I use cracker bead and it's good to its just about sensible eating by eating all my free stuff during the day like vegetables, fruits etc and extras in evening.