Big Garden Bird Watch this Weekend 26th/27th January

lindalegs
lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
edited 28. Jan 2013, 17:19 in Community Chit-chat archive
I'm reminding everyone (as I do every year) that if you can spare an hour of your time this weekend why don't you join the Big Garden Bird Watch?

All you have to do is sit for an hour where you can see your garden, or go to the local park and just count the maximum number of bird species that land there over the course of an hour (in trees counts as well as on bird tables and, of course, on the ground). For example, if three sparrows land at the same time in the hour the answer is three. If one sparrow lands, flies away, then two sparrows then the maximum number would be two …..see what I mean?

If you go onto the RSPB website, link below, you can download a form that helps you to identify and carry out the survey. Then you just submit your results on line.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch/?gclid

It's great to do with children and grandchildren or just on your own.

Hope you get a chance to join in. :D

13_birds3_zps73cc2b52-1_zps4715de58.jpg

Luv,
Love, Legs x
'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Thanks for the reminder Linda...any excuse to watch the little birdies... :D we do have plenty of food out for them xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    hi linda lovly legs
    yepp think ill be keeping an eye out for birds
    saw for 1st time yesterday a pair of fieldfares lovley markings on them
    eating apples & quince apples off the bush.
    also got about dozen sparrows been in our garden for must be 15 or so years so generation after generation .
    put seeds out ,and fat snax, nuts, apple,help um through winter,
    and you get to see um which is great.
    thay was talking on radio that this year ,lots of fieldfares ben visiting gardens cos the snow.. :)
    mike26...
  • lindalegs
    Hi Barbara and Mike

Haven't seen a fieldfare but yesterday I noticed that the wrens are back .....we haven't seen them for about three years now. The wren is my favourite bird so I was really pleased to see it scurrying around again. Hope it comes on Saturday so I can tick the sheet.

:D

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    PS Glad you approve of my legs Mike :lol:
    Love, Legs x
  • barbara12
    lindalegs wrote:
    PS Glad you approve of my legs Mike :lol:
    oooooh how nice of Mike.. :D
    I do love my little Robins..talk about tame..and we have had quite a few more sparrows this year..a good sign..and today I went across the road to my neighbours...she cuts my hair..and in the garden was a pair of water hens...mind you there is a stream at the bottom of the garden...
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hardly seeing any birds at all this year Legs....

I think it's just too snowy. Leaving warm water and fatty balls to no avail :(

Thanks for the reminder

Love

Toni xxx
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    I saw a Phesant in my garden the other day.
  • lindalegs
    What a variety we all have ..............apart from poor Toni :shock: We should all donate a bird to her garden especially for this weekend. I have about 15 wood pigeons I'd gladly get rid of, Mr Legs calls them poo-bags!!! :lol::lol:

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    I'll be doing this, probably on Sunday. Don't get a lot of birds now apart from a flock of starlings who hang around waiting for me to put the food out. Also one or two wood pigeons and a couple of blackbirds.
    Christine
  • barbara12
    Linda we have quite a few wood pigeons...I know they nest in the tree at the back...but next door has 4 cats so we have to keep an eye out...has we do for all the birds....it cost me a fortune buying the cats collars with bells on.... :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hi Linda thank you for reminding me! Hope the snow clears quickly so I can do it! We have loads of house sparrows out the front & back of our garden! It's because of the hawthorn bush that runs from the front to back of our house. They love it, they even nest in it!
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    about 25 years ago,
    when i had conifers at bottom of garden and a compost heap
    we had thrushs visiting and thay used to break snails on the path.
    since we got rid of the coniffers we havent had a thrush in garden for years. and when thay sang it was heven to listen to.

where have all the thrush gone!

mike 26... blue tit & robin this morning....
  • applerose
    I used to have a couple of thrushes in the garden but haven't seen one anywhere for a few years now.
    Christine
  • lindalegs
    The RSPB say that misslethrushes are disappearing from our gardens - it's years and years since I've seen them.

The cats round here don't have bells on their collars hence we lost our nesting blue tits last year :(

We'll be doing our watch this morning, it'll be interesting because we got lots of snow last night.

I'll report back later.

Luv
    Love, Legs x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    It's probably safer if we don't have too many anyway Legs due to Daisycat's expertise as a hunter. :roll:

Despite 2 bells she is still TOO good for my liking. I think the vets were a bit sick of the sight of me last year due to the baby robins :(

Ah well....

AS for your house pigeons - That's the one bird we do still have :lol: 'Fat pigeon' and his wife/family :D

love

Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hey how did everyones Big Garden bird watch go? I don't know what happened to the birds, there was hardly any about!! Usually our garden is full of them, My OH even refilled the feeders and even brought them some fat balls as a treat! It was fun watching our 'fat pigeon' & his 'booty call!' trying to get at the fat balls very funny!!

Our Bubba used to a stealth machine, brought loads of birds back and happily murdered them in our house. The worst case was one of 'fat pigeon's ' family and he disemboweled it in the kitchen! My OH wouldn't let me see it as he said it was 10x worse then 'saw' the movie! My OH was nearly sick!!

Since Bubba passed we have seen a small rise in the number of birds in the garden but that was to be expected!! :)
  • applerose
    Well I had ....................... a wood pigeon. Doesn't seem worth adding that but they did say it didn't matter how few birds there were or if there were less than normal. I put quite a bit of food out but didn't have mealworms which are the blackbirds favourite.
    Christine