Digital TV and snow

Options
barbara12
barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
edited 27. Jan 2013, 12:50 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi all
TV went off last night because of all the snow on the dish...I cleared it with my mop from the window...then half hour later off again...I know they have to be dish shaped but couldn't they have come up with some sort of roof for them .
We never had this trouble with out lovely analogue H Ariels...anyway it didnt matter... because our electric went off till 11..on again and off today for 3 hours... :roll:
That's my rant for today
Love
Barbara

Comments

• rondetto
    rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Babs, our did the same last night. I recorded a programme late on but the picture froze. It's ok today.
  • barbara12
    Options
    Hello Ron
    I honestly thought the snow wasn't going to stop... :shock: my friend was stuck on the M62 all night... just half as mile from us ..bless she got home this morning ...did you have it bad where you are.
    The blinking TV was on and off all night...back to analogue I say... :lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    We've had a lot of similar problems with some channels during the snowy spell Barbara. The pictures freezes. Oh well the thaw is on its way,

Your poor friend stuck in the snow. hope they had a blanket with them!

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • rondetto
    rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
    Options
    It was pretty bad our way yesterday Babs, but what a difference a day makes. It virtually all gone now and turned milder too. Let's hope we don't have any more now. March turned out to be one of the best months last year.
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    Options
    It sounds very strange to hear people talking about snow. It is like another country here on the south coast we only had snow for a few days , it is extra cold today though, I have never known my cat do his business and come in so fast! I hope everyone stays safe.
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    You can also have pixilation if there’s a load of weather between you and the transmitter, the problem with digital is it really either works or doesn’t unlike analogue TV like radio fades slowly but digital block pixelates very quickly so it’s susceptible to much faster signal degradation/attenuation its why digital radio is useless in a car.
    Ours terrestrial TV drops out sometimes due to weather same for the satellite, but the satellite is the worst for it as the single is being beamed from high Earth orbit so the transmission power at the LNB is going to be a lot less than if it were from a terrestrial source so you need less attenuation to cause problems.
  • barbara12
    Options
    Well everyone the snow has virtually disappeared like Ron say what a difference a day makes.....hee I feel a song coming on.... :lol: mell I wonder if they will ever go back to analogue...is it the American that have give up on digital....
    Lulu we haven't had much up to Friday night, but my goodness did it come down...
    Elizabeth my friend was on her phone to us...she was so panicky bless her..they were there all nigt but a nice truck driver gave her some coffee...must have been scary on her own in the dark..
    Love
    Barbara