New to Forum and feel like struggling alone

saltysmum
saltysmum Member Posts: 4
Hi, I've surfed the forum for a while now but never posted. I've been having joint pains now since 2006. At first I thought it might be Fibro as it seemed to fit that more than anything else. But then I developed Heberden's Nodes and I think a Bouchard's Node forming so GP & Rheumatologist say its definately OA. I ache all over though, in neck shoulders, back, elbows, wrists, hip, knees ankles and toes and when I read up on generalised OA it says that some of these areas aren't indicated. I haven't had any xrays since 2007 and then only one knee and one ankle and when I ask the GP if we can do any more to help with diagnosis they say it will be too much radiation. I just feel like they're shoving meds at me to keep me quiet and at work but even with the constant meds, some days I just want to curl up and cry with the pain.

Do I just keep going with the meds, or is there anything I can do. I know many of you guys have been battling with this for years and have much more to cope with and I feel like a bit of a wimp for making a fuss but I don't know who to ask?

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello saltysmum
    And a warm welcome from me
    I'm not one one the help team but I do have arthritis..OA in multiple joints...and I would say no you dont just carry on taking the meds, if you are not happy you must go back to your GP and tell them how worried you are , and how much pain you are in.
    Ask to be referred to a consultant, they will order more Xrays and blood test.
    I say all this because I was in the same position till I joined this forum,and the lovely people on here gave me the confidence to go back to my GPs and get help,In fact I ended up changing GPS
    Dont forget that is what they get paid for, and if you dont ask they wont offer any more help.
    I do wish you well with everything, and please let us know how you get on, I am sure someone from the help team will be along very soon, but being weekend it may be quiet for a while.
    You could always post on LWA if you would like to know more
    You take care xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • saltysmum
    Thanks Barbara glad to know someones had some luck, I'll give it another go
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello saltysmum, it's lovely to meet you but I am so sorry you have to find us. I too am a forum member, you say you have been reading on here for a while so please repost on LWA, you will for sure gain more answers on there although it's quiet at the week-end. Sometimes we have to metaphorically stamp our feet and make a fuss to get where we need to be - please start 'stamping' because things aren't adding up, are they? I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Trayce
    Trayce Member Posts: 110
    no dr but sounds like same symtoms as me fibromylagia hs been mentioned to myself keep pushing for some help
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hi saltysmum
    Thanks for your posting and sorry to hear about the joint pains you have been having for a long while now.
    Trying to get an accurate diagnosis of what may be going on is the first step. For more information on this see http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/AboutArthritis/Gettingadiagnosis and on Understanding arthritis at http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets/main_content/UnderstandingArthritisbooklet2011.pdf. Also asking your GP for a referral to a physiotherapist may help, as they can offer treatment like exercise, massage and ultrasound plus give you an idea of what is going on in your body.
    You are welcome to ring us if you would like to have a chat about things.
    All the best
    Nick
    Helplines Team
  • saltysmum
    Thanks for the posts guys. I've a physiotherapy evaluation in early March following a request tothe GP in October! Just trying to work out whether I want to go back to my original Consultant or to ask if I can go to a clinic I've heard good things about in the next NHS area to mine as I'll be moving to that area in a few months anyway. Thanks for the support. I'll keep on keeping on :)