Brain Fried!

Options
jenzie06
jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
I was medically retired from my last job in 2009. I had come off my meds as my husband and I wanted to start a family. Now our boy is 2.5yrs I really really want to do some work. It would help my mental health a lot but I'm worried I wouldn't cope and have to give it up which would make me a miserable bugger. I also receive help from the council to employ someone to help me with my son. But now he is getting bigger I don't think I need as much help. I would probably lose the help if I got a part time job but I would employ a cleaner instead. If I failed to sustain work it would be unlikely I would get the help back again. My son gets his 15 free hours for nursery in September which we would add to what he's already doing (he absolutely loves it which helps).
I was thinking of doing three mornings a week but having my son in nursery for three mornings then a whole day so I have that to recover. I'd love a job but scared to fail and these thoughts keep going round and round. Agh!
I'm educated to Masters level but couldn't sustain my last job. Would anyone employ me?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    In answer to your final question, Jenzie, I have no idea in the current climate. I think your best bet might be a confidential chat with someone at CAB.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    Options
    Jenzie I think your best bet is to do voluntary work with somewhere like Mind or ageuk somewhere that work closely with the public. they could put you to good use ,and give you a very good ref. You will then find out with the minimum of pressure on yourself if you are able to cope with a proper job. Good luck.
  • wall1409
    wall1409 Member Posts: 294
    Options
    Please choose wisely as I work full time and am currently on sickleave awaiting a diagnosis which will take time, If I hit the 3 months mark sick leave I will get a warning or disciplined meaning If I am off sick within 3 months I could get finished. I have applied to DLA twice and twice refused however this time I am appealing.

Wendy xx
  • Julie37927
    Julie37927 Bots Posts: 35
    Options
    Trying a part time job first seems to be a good test. Try something physically and psychologically easy for you at first. Getting back to it is both scary and daunting but worth it. You will feel better for it if it is not too demanding. Have you considered working on line from home at your own pace? That way you could fit it in you and your son's schedule. It can be very flexible and you could customize the work to your daily needs. Of couse you are employable and valueable in our current workplace, I believe there is something for everyone!! Good Luck
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Hi julie37927 and welcome to the forum. I notice you've made a few posts but always on old threads. You make some excellent points but, as people only rarely return to old threads, these are probably wasted. Why not post on some current ones? We're a friendly lot on here and I'm sure you'll be made welcome. What sort of arthritis do you have?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi there, I wonder whether starting by doing some volunteering might be a way of discovering whether you could sustain working part time? The hospices generally welcome volunteers and have lots of options for activities including befriending, manning the reception and more practical tasks like doing teas etc. I took early retirement last year due to my RA and am now looking to start volunteering at a local children's hospice- when I chatted to them about my RA they were happy to accommodate the fact that there will be times when I'm not up to being there.

What kind of work are you hoping to do? If you've been out of the work force for a while some recent volunteering might look good on the CV too.

Lots of schools welcome parents in to do volunteering too, might this be possible in your sons school? I know that when I was teaching mums were a real treasure, and for some it led to a change of career into children's work.

Hope you find something to encourage you and give you a sense of what the future might hold. As a busy mum you have lots of transferable skills and would be an asset to any workplace.

Deb xx