Normal ESR?

Mummyof3
Mummyof3 Member Posts: 18
edited 30. Jan 2013, 17:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hiya all, just a quick question on what is the normal ESR rate? I have googled and I've found many different answers. Does anyone know for sure what is normal?
Thanks

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I don't think anyone can define 'normal' because it varies so much. I've had figures so low they can't be calculated and as high as 170, I've felt OK with the higher numbers and pants on the lower ones. Maybe keeping a record of yours (together with how you feel) so thus building a picture of what is the usual for you is the way forward? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    As DD says who can define "normal" everyone is different, as we do not get bloods done when we are not ill so who can tell what is even a "normal" for each individual, I get mine moniterd every three weeks and as mine show inflammmation all the time they seemed to be concerned when mine hit about 80, but that is me other people can be higher, if you have concerns about your ESR talk to you doctor about it, hope you get your concerns sorted out.............Marie xc
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    I was told that " normal " is about 10 , this was on an occasion that mine was at 139 but surely as DD says it would vary from person to person so my normal might not be anyone else's normal ! Mine hasn't been lower than 46 for 30 years ; my last reading was 53 which I was delighted with and the rheumy nurse thought was appalling ! Jillyb
  • Mummyof3
    Mummyof3 Member Posts: 18
    Thanks everyone. Mine was only 25 but where as normally when I phone for my results the receptionist say they are marked "normal" but today I was told my ESR and something else( I can't remember) was "as expected" but the others were normal. When I asked , she didn't know and I have never asked what my ESR was before today.
    I had my isotope bone scan on Monday so I get the results in 2 weeks for that. Hope it shows what's wrong with me :-)
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    ESR varies from person to person , if you get a blood test booklet from your surgery & get them to update it every time , CRP is a better guide to compare inflammatory markers