just back from seeing the consultant and..

sbolam
sbolam Member Posts: 374
edited 3. Feb 2013, 07:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have never come across a doctor so rude with absolutely no beside manor. He was so rough when he examined me, and I never got to say half of what I wanted. Oh and he says I now dont have OA because I am too young (40). I now have to have more bloods taken and yet another x-ray.

Not happy.

Stephen
04_pain.jpg

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Ewwww that sounds like a rough appointment! Maybe time to ask for a different consultant? In a different medical setting I just did similar by using PALS, write it all down, call them and see what you can do. 40 is not too young for OA, still, more bloods sounds like at least he is going to check things rather than dismiss you out right.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Stephen sorry to hear you had a bit of a rough time, at least he is looking further into the matter re: blood tests and x-rays and further app, I'm afraid some consultants need leasons in bed side manners, don't be disheartened at least he is not dismissing you, keep us informed how you go..................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Orthopaedics aren't known for their finesse and delicacy :roll: They are known for their strong arms and hammering and sawing ability. In a rugby squad they'd be the front row forwards not the elegant wingmen. Nevertheless, he's doing further tests and that can only be good. Better the right diagnosis than a quick, wrong one.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • sbolam
    I was just not prepared for the rough treatment and rudeness. maybe it because it was the end of the day and I was his last appointment of the day. never the less I would have still expected better.

Stephen.
    04_pain.jpg
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Stephen

I am sorry to hear about your appointment. If it was a surgeon/consultant you saw, then unfortunately they are particularly renowned for their lack of bedside manner. They are excellent at their job regarding operations but that is as far as it often seems to go. There are exceptions to every rule of course, though. ;)

He does appear to be prepared to do more tests and so on so that can only be good, can't it?

Hang on in there,

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Steven

Complain about him, no need for his attitude he isn't god! I hate it when they act like this and unless you speak up he will carry on regardless...Age has naff all to do with it....

Chin up..

Elainexx
    sbolam wrote:
    I have never come across a doctor so rude with absolutely no beside manor. He was so rough when he examined me, and I never got to say half of what I wanted. Oh and he says I now dont have OA because I am too young (40). I now have to have more bloods taken and yet another x-ray.

Not happy.

Stephen
  • sbolam
    Had my blood taken today, now just waiting for my next appointment and x-ray. If I see the same dr and he is the same, I assure you I will be making a formal compliant.

Stephen.
    04_pain.jpg
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Stephen

I am so sorry that man upset you so much :( I am very pleased about the tests though and well-done for getting the bloods done done so quickly. Let's hope the results together with te Xray ones help with your diagnosis.

Take care

Love

Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    The 1st time I saw my Rhummey he was really rude and said there was nothing wrong with me even though it was in black & white in front of him that I had Osteoporosis! He sent me for blood tests and X-rays and scans! And I had heard all the nurses fancied him because he was sweet! I thought I must have seen his twin or something! But my G.P laughed about what he said because it was all in the paperwork what was wrong and all the tests! I even said when he gets the bloods ect I will wheel up to him and say told you so! But when I saw him for the 2nd time he was lovely and seemed to have read my file!! I would give the consultant a chance see him for the 2nd appt if you still find him harsh ask your GP for a change of consultant.
  • barry2013
    barry2013 Member Posts: 151
    Hi Stephen.
    Like other folk, really sorry to hear about your consultant, you are quite right to complain about him, I hope you get the right tests done and things can move forward.
    My consultant has no manners at all, but at least my GP told me before seeing him, but did say he is good with the knife, which I guess is what we all need, I will find out on the 12th.
    Best wishes.
    Barry.
  • lizzy100
    lizzy100 Member Posts: 235
    my rheummatoloigst is like that. not interested, goes back on what previous drs have said etc. no bedside manor. rude.
    i guess all u can do is see what the scan shows. if it is OA it would show up on the scan.