surgery

Options
RachaelDakin
RachaelDakin Member Posts: 4
edited 31. Jan 2013, 08:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have been recently diagnosed with athritis in my left ankle and have very tight tendons.
I am still being treated by a physio which is helping loosen the tendons so they say, but my surgeon who was great at first has now changed his tune, he wanted to give the injection, but then explained that the next one wouldn't be so good and so on , with that I wasn't so set on the idea.
He dismissed the idea of a "joint wash out" because there is no guarantee how long it would last instead went straight in for fusing the joint with a great comment well you don't have much movement with because of your tendons so it won;t be too bad.
I am only 28 with 2 young boys, I am at a loss of where to go now to try and feel out more options which I do understand are limited do I go to my GP or talk to much physio?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    We cannot tell you what to do as your situation is unique to you and we're not doctors but, from what I have read on here, I gather that joint fusions are usually helpful in that pain is greatly reduced. By 'the injection' do you mean a steroid injection? They can be of benefit but are not guaranteed to work and are not a long-term solution. If you do a search on this forum using the words 'ankle fusion' I am sure the threads about it will pop up and you can read others' experiences. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    hi Rachael

what type of arthritis you got , I had RA for long time & both ankles had Triple Arthrodesis operation (fusing small bones in ankle) & will need the ankle joints fused at some point

which joint does he want to fuse & have you had the joints injected or tried a brace which they can make for you , would look at other options & if you got RA get them to look at your meds as well

recovery is about 6 months with a air boot on , & 6 weeks not putting any weight on it & with two young lads you will find this hard

one thing I do find works well with the tendons & ankle joint pain is a V3 Circulation Booster
  • RachaelDakin
    Options
    yes the steroid injection,
    I have post trauma leading on to O/A, I was just so stunned by his "oh well " attitude when he was really supportive and made me feel like he wanted to help me, he has given a six months open appointment for the steroid injection if I need it
    just feeling a bit sorry for my self
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Rachael

Why not seek a second opinion? It is quite common and acceptable to do this nowadays. After all it is your ankle and very naturally important for you to hear all the options, negatives and positives as well as having trust in the consultant.

In the meantime there is no harm in going for the steroid injections. It could really help you and if you do not try you will never know. It is hardly invasive treatment. :)

You have every right to be feeling sorry for yourself, we all do this from time to time. :wink:

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • RachaelDakin
    Options
    I think I may do that, I will chat with my GP as I don't feel confident with any thing at the moment
    Thank yo to very one xxxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    If you have an understanding GP he / she might be a useful first port of call. You could talk over how you feel about things and he will have the consultant's report so might know why the consultant apparently changed tack.

Two small boys + arthritis is not a good combination. I did it and my own ankles were very bad at the time. (They've since fused themselves.) As Elna has suggested, you could go for the steroid jabs. They don't work for everyone and he's right in that the more you have the less they work but, with luck, it would buy you a bit of time to think things over.

Arthritis does rob us of our self-confidence at times like this. Take time, trust your own instincts and remember you can always voice your frustrations and worries on here. Even when we can't help we can empathise.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright