ATOS Medical Today - Been

elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 4. Apr 2013, 07:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

I have been for my ATOS medical. The time was 10am I arrived at 9.45 as was desperate for the loo and we had to leave kendal at 9am for plenty of time...
I got taken early by the nurse practitioner, used my crutch and made a point of when she took me to the examining room to say the chairs had no arms and would need assistance getting in and out of chair...I took my dad, she was quite vague at first as have had TKR 3 months ago...Her question was "so tell me where your'e at just now"...I asked her to more specific, basically and to specify what she wanted to know...I said had seen registrar last week was still having pain, showed medicine and what the side effects of codeine phosphate was plus brufen and paracetemol....She asked the usual about my normal day if I read, how long for...Didnt say went shopping, said went basically to medical apps with me dad taking me. She did exercises in the chair with arms and then asked me to get on the couch...Now I noticed this one is considerably more higher than the ones at hospitals, I said couldn't manage it, she said she would help me, I still said no...Did couple exercises in chair but leg is stiff and sore...She said my scar is healed but looked swollen still....
The room had an old electric heater on the wall, it was baking hot and I asked for water but she said she was finished....My assessment took only 20mins, I don;t think she asked enough questions....
I wasn't obstructive but I did not volunteer a lot of info for ammunition.....I don;t know how it went, who knows...Today is dad's birthday and its all about him now...The medical is over and I can do no more...

Elainexx

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I hope she doesn't see you as obstructive by refusing to go on the high couch. Its the sort of straw they clutch at.( I have read of a similar situation but as there were no independent witnesses they could not challenge it). Apart from that I think you did as well as can be under very difficult circumstances,

all the best
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • elainebadknee
    Elizabeth

Im not going down that negative route...I was not obstructive I said could not manage it...If she says so I have a witness and it is considerably higher than hospital ones as I said...

Elainexx
    tkachev wrote:
    I hope she doesn't see you as obstructive by refusing to go on the high couch. Its the sort of straw they clutch at.( I have read of a similar situation but as there were no independent witnesses they could not challenge it). Apart from that I think you did as well as can be under very difficult circumstances,

all the best
    Elizabeth
  • TeaBag
    TeaBag Member Posts: 101
    Hi having been thourgh it all and having seen all the papers i can see that she will say you refused to do this but she will also say why, she had noted in mine i had no trouble getting onto couch and they give you a chair with no arms they also did this at my appeal good luck they usually write to you within 7 days .
  • babytiger
    babytiger Member Posts: 360
    Never been through this myself. Will keep my fingers crossed for you.All the best x
    Eileen
  • elainebadknee
    Teabag

I refused cos it wasn't physically possible...Why they make it so much higher I dont know? There was a reason and she needs to document it, if not its not a problem to me as I have my witness....Also I pointed out the chair with no arms, ironically even in the waiting area there was only one chair with arms??
    I will fail so have already mentally prepared myself for that, will just have to go through the motions and not get stressed about it all, it doesnt help and I've appealed before...

Elainexx
    TeaBag wrote:
    Hi having been thourgh it all and having seen all the papers i can see that she will say you refused to do this but she will also say why, she had noted in mine i had no trouble getting onto couch and they give you a chair with no arms they also did this at my appeal good luck they usually write to you within 7 days .
  • elainebadknee
    Teabag

I refused cos it wasn't physically possible...Why they make it so much higher I dont know? There was a reason and she needs to document it, if not its not a problem to me as I have my witness....Also I pointed out the chair with no arms, ironically even in the waiting area there was only one chair with arms??
    I will fail so have already mentally prepared myself for that, will just have to go through the motions and not get stressed about it all, it doesnt help and I've appealed before...

Elainexx
    TeaBag wrote:
  • elainebadknee
    Eileen

Thanks for good wishes...Happy youve never been through this it isn't nice at all...

Elainexx
    babytiger wrote:
    Never been through this myself. Will keep my fingers crossed for you.All the best x
    Eileen
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Hi Elaine

Keeping fingers crossed for you all you can do now is wait, when you get your report it wont be the full face to face one but write to them and they will send it to you, don't know how they don't send out full reports in the first place, good luck..................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Oh Elaine this is so blinking stressful...has for the couch I cant get on any...even in theater when having injections they have to bring two different sized stools then help me on them....I am glad you noticed it was even higher than normal...the things they get up to....hope you have got your feet up after all that xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • sbolam
    sbolam Member Posts: 374
    You never know, you might pass, but the likely hood is you will have to appeal.I know on both the last two atos medicals I have had to appeal, they are really nice to you but just wait until you get your report.

I do wish you luck hun knowing how stressful it is.

Xxx
    04_pain.jpg
  • elainebadknee
    Hi Marie

Thanks for fingers crossed but you are right it wont be the assessment I or my dad remember, at least I know this time to expect it..
    You are a sweetie..

Elainexx
    villier wrote:
    Hi Elaine

Keeping fingers crossed for you all you can do now is wait, when you get your report it wont be the full face to face one but write to them and they will send it to you, don't know how they don't send out full reports in the first place, good luck..................Marie xx
  • elainebadknee
    Barbara

I was switched onto these sort of things this time but then thought later she asked how many steps at our bungalow (1 to get in)...Then I declined to get on couch she will say if am able to get in my front door can get on the step to couch...But it was so much higher and very wobbly looking....
    Had lovely birthday tea for dad's birthday, steaks and yummy veg having cheesecake later...

Elainexx
    barbara12 wrote:
    Oh Elaine this is so blinking stressful...has for the couch I cant get on any...even in theater when having injections they have to bring two different sized stools then help me on them....I am glad you noticed it was even higher than normal...the things they get up to....hope you have got your feet up after all that xx
  • elainebadknee
    Steven

Thanks for your good luck wishes I know your'e having a rotten time just now so it means a lot that you take time to reply..I know will have to appeal, how 2 faced they are me dear....

Elainexx
    sbolam wrote:
    You never know, you might pass, but the likely hood is you will have to appeal.I know on both the last two atos medicals I have had to appeal, they are really nice to you but just wait until you get your report.

I do wish you luck hun knowing how stressful it is.

Xxx
  • blueknees
    blueknees Member Posts: 90
    Well done Elaine you did really good there and have taught me a few things for my blue badge assessment tomorrow.

Chair without arms excellent.

I shall use that one myself if need be.

Let us know how you got on, good luck.

Chris
  • elainebadknee
    Chris

Ah but they don't hardly have any chairs with arms..Another thing is the loo is a really high one, i found it hard to get on it...
    Good luck with the blue badge assessment eh?

Elainexx
    blueknees wrote:
    Well done Elaine you did really good there and have taught me a few things for my blue badge assessment tomorrow.

Chair without arms excellent.

I shall use that one myself if need be.

Let us know how you got on, good luck.

Chris
  • tkachev
    Elizabeth

Im not going down that negative route...I was not obstructive I said could not manage it...If she says so I have a witness and it is considerably higher than hospital ones as I said...

Elainexx
    tkachev wrote:

all the best
    Elizabeth

Sorry didn't mean to focus on the negative-it was more of a rolled eyes :roll: as in they are going to looking for reasons to refuse a claim and I've heard of similar cases so just to warn you really.

Like you say its out of your hands now,

Elizabeth xx

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • queenfan
    queenfan Member Posts: 563
    Elaine I know what you have been though it is awful, it's all over now, try not to think about it now,you have showed them how things are,I will keep everything crossed for you, well everything I can cross :lol:I didn't think that I would get anywhere, but had a nice surprise they accepted me thank god. please let us know how you get on
    Best wishes Sue
  • elainebadknee
    Elizabeth

Well i could focus on the negatives but where does it get me, what will happen, will come to fruition so worrying won't help it one iota....I've heard lots of stories on here but can only wait and see...I am just waiting for envelope to fall through door and start the appeal...

Elainexx

Sorry didn't mean to focus on the negative-it was more of a rolled eyes :roll: as in they are going to looking for reasons to refuse a claim and I've heard of similar cases so just to warn you really.

Like you say its out of your hands now,

Elizabeth xx[/quote]
  • elainebadknee
    HI Sue

I know they will write to me very soon, in fact could even have the answer tomorrow or monday...But I am not dwelling on it, I told it as it was to the best of my ability and what she wrote, who knows?
    Sorry, I can't remember what your ailments are, maybe you were worse then me...In all likely I am not as bad as many on here...Ive had my TKR but im not quite 100% ready for work...My leg has done nothing but ache constantly today....I however have no doubt I have failed as many worse than me have...Its going through the motions really...
    Thanks for crossing all you can..

Elainexx
    queenfan wrote:
    Elaine I know what you have been though it is awful, it's all over now, try not to think about it now,you have showed them how things are,I will keep everything crossed for you, well everything I can cross :lol:I didn't think that I would get anywhere, but had a nice surprise they accepted me thank god. please let us know how you get on
    Best wishes Sue
  • Rewter
    Rewter Member Posts: 77
    Elaine,

I think you did the right thing not getting up onto the high bench. I could be misinformed but I have been advised that in all the ATOS assessment rooms, they specifically have them set as high as possible to see if you ask them to lower it or decline to get on. By climbing up onto it, it shows you have a certain degree of mobility.

My sister did the excercises in the chair as she declined to get on the table. She past the assessment.

Hope it goes in your favour.
  • elainebadknee
    Hi Rewter

Well I was switched onto the fact that the couch was considerably higher than the one the registrar had examined me on at Wrightington last week so I decided right away I was declining...I was not lying it would have been silly to try that and I'm glad I didnt...
    Who knows what goes into their reports?

Thanks for reply

Elainexx
    Rewter wrote:
    Elaine,

I think you did the right thing not getting up onto the high bench. I could be misinformed but I have been advised that in all the ATOS assessment rooms, they specifically have them set as high as possible to see if you ask them to lower it or decline to get on. By climbing up onto it, it shows you have a certain degree of mobility.

My sister did the excercises in the chair as she declined to get on the table. She past the assessment.

Hope it goes in your favour.
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Maybe it was a short assessment because she saw for herself. She did say that there was still swelling so. Maybe you will get the letter, but saying good news. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.
    Karen xx
  • elainebadknee
    Hi Karen

I could think it over and over again but will just wait for the letter....She may have decided im fit for work as I do admin and nothing wrong with my arms/hands im fit...Who knows...

Elainexx
    constable wrote:
    Maybe it was a short assessment because she saw for herself. She did say that there was still swelling so. Maybe you will get the letter, but saying good news. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.
  • TeaBag
    TeaBag Member Posts: 101
    How did you get on Elaine?
  • tkachev
    TeaBag wrote:
    How did you get on Elaine?

I have bumped up the thread for you Teabag. Its the ATOS horrible medical thread.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein