Got to stop naprosyn for surgery!!

Options
frogmella
frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
edited 2. Feb 2013, 04:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
As the title says I have been told to stop taking my naprosyn now! :o My surgery isn't for three and a half weeks and I have another two weeks at school to go yet. I am already struggling with pain and have been taking 8/500 cocos after school instead of plain paras for a few weeks. Think getting to half term will be a proper struggle now! AAARRRGGGHHH!

Comments

• ShulaArcher
    ShulaArcher Member Posts: 174
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi

Sorry to hear about this and all sympathy to you. A friend of mine had to stop it before spinal surgery but when I had hand surgery I didn't have to stop it. Like you, I can't do without it and I'm also due for further surgery this year. Will be interested to read what other replies you get.

All the best
    Shula
  • frogmella
    Options
    Thanks shula. I guess I will just have to grit my teeth even harder!!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    If you are finding it of use to then no, this won't be easy but the prize at the end is surely worth having. You could ask about increasing the strength of the cocos - I think there is an intermediate step between your 8/500 and my 30/500 but your GP is the one to advise about that. Isn't it half-term soon? (I'm assuming you work in a school and not a college.) Good luck, I hope all goes well for you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Sorry frogmella can't advise on the meds just wanted to say I'm thinking of you hope you can get something sorted out...............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • frogmella
    Options
    I am thinking only of the prize at the end, DD!! I was already counting the days to half term though! Never mind. I find that the codeine gabapentin combo makes me too stupid to teach at school so I will just soldier on! Only two more school weeks to go....
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    I think it's to remove any chance of excessive bleeding so, has to be gone through. I had several weeks without my meth before one THR. At the time I was in a bad way to start off with and I did get worse as the weeks went on but it was well worth it in the end. Is there anything you can take instead?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    It wont be long now, says me...but like SW says its to be on the safe side that we have to give up our meds..it doesn't make it any easier.
    I am sure there are 15/500 cocodamols....could you not ask for these anything to give you some relief xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Gabapentin too? Strewth, I'd forgotten that salient detail. :oops: I apologise. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmella
    Options
    Hey DD - I would be amazed if you could remember what I take, I forget half the time! Don't worry - I will just man up and be ok! I have decided though that I am going to be off work the day before my op as it will be the first day back after half term and I have to be at the hospital for 7am the next day. I am going to have a nice day with my dogs (last walk for a while) and will go for a nice unrushed swim in the am too!

Oh yes, SW, I understand the reasons I just thought I could get away with waiting til half term to stop taking them. Not to worry, now where is my leather strap....!! haha!

Thanks barbara - there are stronger cocos out there but I don't function so well on the combo so only take them when at home, which is of course when I don't need them so much!!

Yes not long to go now. Had a middle of the night panic about ending up paralysed! What a thing to think eh? I am sure that this is the thing to do and as they say you can't make an omellette without vreaking a few eggs!
  • lizzy100
    lizzy100 Member Posts: 235
    Options
    yea u have to stop it because of risk of bleeding. you can take any painkillers and if its bad i would of thot u could take steroids, or stgeroif injection?
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Oh dear Frogmella

Well if it has to be done - it has to be done :roll:

I am sure it will be worth it in the end.

That swim day and lovely walk with your dogs sounds perfect.

Hope you have stocked up with reading matter ready? :wink:

love

Toni xxx
  • frogmella
    Options
    I am sort of stocking up on reading matter but I am not very good at not reading it so I think I will need to restock!