Steroid injections.....Knees

gilly1957
gilly1957 Member Posts: 212
edited 13. Feb 2013, 06:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have just come back from GP, my x-ray shows OA in both segments of my knee.

I'm going to have a steroid injection in my knee next Wednesday....can you give me some advice please on what it will be like and do's and dont's.

I would appreciate it very much.

I have OA in my lumber spine for a number of years, I had a knee x-ray last year but nothing showed up even though I was in a lot of pain.

I am really quite frightened about having this done :shock:

Comments

• elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Gilly

Best advice can offer you is have it done and report back..You see it works for some and doesnt for others so everyone is different...I hope yours works wonders and you will be jumping about like a spring lamb!

Elainexx
    gilly1957 wrote:
    I have just come back from GP, my x-ray shows OA in both segments of my knee.

I'm going to have a steroid injection in my knee next Wednesday....can you give me some advice please on what it will be like and do's and dont's.

I would appreciate it very much.

I have OA in my lumber spine for a number of years, I had a knee x-ray last year but nothing showed up even though I was in a lot of pain.

I am really quite frightened about having this done :shock:
  • MrDJ
    MrDJ Member Posts: 273
    i have a steroid injection in one knee 2-3 times a year and a drainage on 2-3 other occasions.
    its advised to be non weight bearing for a couple of days after to let the steroid do its job properly. walking on it will just spread the steroid out but your consultant can clarify this.

it can be a little uncomfortable but not painful. the drainage on the other hand is the opposite :o

as mentioned its well worth having it done. certainly makes a lot of difference for me. it takes the swelling right down and almost hardly any pain.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    hi gilly
    I have had two....and after the second one I have had very little pain in over 3 years....mind you they now think the pain could be referred from my hip...the injection did not hurt and believe me I would say if it did...because the hips one did :shock: ....I do hope it eases your pain x
    Love
    Barbara
  • gilly1957
    Linda.....jumping around like a spring lamb....don't think so lol

Mr DJ... It's my GP who will be doing injection....will have to walk home, not far, but normally go to gym the day I'm having it done.

Thank you Barbara....hope it works like yours have....still not sure I will be brave enough to have it done :?
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Well its what everyone says about it that its some miracle treatment i didnt find it so....Btw im not Linda!!!

Elainexx
    gilly1957 wrote:
    Linda.....jumping around like a spring lamb....don't think so lol

Mr DJ... It's my GP who will be doing injection....will have to walk home, not far, but normally go to gym the day I'm having it done.

Thank you Barbara....hope it works like yours have....still not sure I will be brave enough to have it done :?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Don't go to the gym, Gilly. Do rest for 48 hours to give it its best chance. They've always worked for me. I never found either the jab or the fluid extraction painful but some do. My policy is always to force myself to relax that bit of me. Tensed muscles make everything harder. I hope it helps.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • gilly1957
    Sorry Elaine....dont know where my brain was x

thank you sticky...I will try and relax, can't see it though lol x
  • charleeh
    charleeh Member Posts: 173
    Hiya,

Its definitely best to rest after a steroid injection. Its not as painful as swollen joints that trap nerves and throb, just a couple of seconds of discomfort then is over - but its worth having.

I have not had one directly into a joint but I have had a fair few in my bottom (can't think of a better way to say that lol sorry!)

I have had my knee drained of excess fluid though - again, a few seconds of discomfort then its over and then I had instant relief from the throbbing and I rested well and within 24 hours my knee was able to bend again.

I hope everything works out ok for you,

Best wishes
    Charleeh
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    I had steroid injections in both knees as a last resort before my bilateral TKR. Like you, I was scared, but the injection is nothing. Unfortunately the only thing which worked for me in terms of pain relief was the local anaesthetic stuff they rubbed on before the jab - less pain for a few hours. The injections did nothing, but as you can see here, they work well for some people. They're certainly nothing to be frightened of, really!
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    I had a steriod injection into my knee a couple of weeks ago, I get these every 6 months or so.

It honestly where on the knee they do the injection, it is slightly uncomfortable, but its over pretty quickly.

Please keep your knee rested for a least 1 full day afterwards.
    You might also find that a few hours after the injection you will feel very hungry!

For me it works wonders and does last a few months. But everyone is different.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    hi hun.
    I've had a few of these.
    First ones worked great for a month but the other didn't help at all. Our usual saying on here applies though.
    We are all different lol

Hope that they go well and work a treat for you.
    Definitely rest though.

Best wishes
    Xx
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP