Hip Osteoarthritis

19smp59
19smp59 Member Posts: 105
I was diagnosed with moderate Osteoarthritis in both hips over four years ago. At the time my symptoms were quite minor and I was informed by my GP that no treatment would be offered until I was virtually unable to walk. My symptoms during the day are now quite manageable, although I do have problems with stiffness, dressing etc. My main problems are at night. I find my hips really painful to lie on (but can't lie on my back, due to cervical spine problems). I find it very difficult and painful to actually turn over in bed due to pain and stiffness. I am reluctant to return to my GP as I feel there is not much that can be done I already take Tramadol medication due to my cervical spine problem.
Can you offer any advice? Is the Arthritis likely to have got much worse over a period of four years, or does it take much long than this to progress? Many thanks for any advice.

Suzanne

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Suzanne

I am a member of the forum. Osteoarthritis can affect people in different ways. OA can get worse over a short period of time and cause a lot of damage to a joint(s), which significantly impacts on day to day life. Or, may develop slowly over many years, causing small changes to a joint(s) that does not get any worse, or even eases over time.

In my opinion you should return to your GP and tell him what you have written in your posting. The GP may be able to prescribe a med to aid sleep. It is horrid not being able to have enough rest because of being woken up with pain at night.

I am a little surprised that your GP did not refer you to a physiotherapist 4 years ago.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Dear Suzanne,

Thank you for your post to Helplines. If you would like to talk over how you are feeling and managing given your sleep is being disturbed, you are very welcome to ring us or chat on here. As Elna's mentioned the physiotherapist can be a helpful option, or to request an assessment - a musculoskeletal clinic can be informative and offer quite a lot of treatments if appropriate.

There can be a language issue in that self management is recommended early in an osteoarthritis diagnosis... involving exercises, lifestyle advice, pain medication etc, but that joint replacement surgery won't necessarily be offered until later, but both approaches do count as treatment. So sometimes it can be worth asking the various professionals of their suggestions under the heading of self management.

If you'd like some more information, do come back to us.

I hope that is helpful

Guy
  • 19smp59
    Many thanks for your helpful replies. I have plucked up the courage and made an appointment with my GP!

I have to say that the lack of sleep is what I find hardest to cope with, especially as I work full-time. I find myself coming home from work and being so tired I just want to go to bed. I have often gone to work having had no or just a couple of hours sleep.

I do have Osteoarthritis in my cervical spine, shoulder and hands as well as my hips. An MRI of my spine was done over four years ago which showed severe degeneration, spinal canal stenosis and foramen stenosis at multiple levels. I have just been referred to a Neurosurgeon (although the last thing I want is surgery), but I do feel that my GP is just happy to write a prescription each month.

I would definitely try any treatment before looking at surgery. Does anyone have advice regarding steroid injections for hip arthritis?

Thanks again for advice.

Suzanne
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hi Suzanne

For more information on steroid injections see http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/Arthritis-information/Drugs/Local-steroid-injections.aspx and on OA of the hip at http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Factsheets/main_content/OAhipfactsheetJune2011.pdf.

You are welcome to ring us anytime you want to have a chat about things.

All the best

Nick
    Helplines Team
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I'm a forum member too - if you re-post on the Living with Arthritis part of the forum with your question about the injections others who have had them done may reply with their experiences. There is also a search function on that forum where, if you enter the relevant phrase, all the threads about it will emerge. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • 19smp59
    Hi there! Thanks for that advice, I shall post this again and see what replies I get. I did go back to GP who didn't examine my hips. I also told her I was having problems with one of my ankles, which she also didn't examine, but just said "well you have generalised Osteoarthritis and it is cold at the moment"! I was told to take Paracetamol together with the 800mg of Tramadol I take each day and she gave me a prescription for Amitriptyline! I just wonder sometimes if GP's don't take Osteoarthritis very seriously.
  • lazicat
    lazicat Member Posts: 177
    As its been 4 years ask for another MRI.
    Please dont be afraid of surgery (I was terrified) , but my THR has made a huge difference. I sleep so much better , mobilitity improved as well & finding Im able to do more & more as the weeks go by. Im not 100% better as still got OA in other hip & spine , so still on about half meds I was before my Operation. I could hardly walk before , could not stand up straight & my hip was fixed and severe pain 24/7 even with meds.
    There is light at the end of the tunnel , Im sure you will get improvemnet after surgery.
    Take Care x
  • lazicat
    lazicat Member Posts: 177
    Also a nice thick memory foam mattress topper has helped me enormously both before & after surgery.
    Hope you manage to get some quality sleep soon. its so awful without it, makes everything harder. Take Care x