DLA advice please

KayMick
KayMick Member Posts: 27
edited 27. Feb 2013, 17:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone....my name is Kay...I'm 40, married with 6 children, ranging from 20 right down to 2! I have rheumatoid arthritis I also suffer really badly with depression & anxiety, sciatica caused by crumbling spine that just won't keep the ruddy discs where they're supposed too! Today I had a home visit from an ATOS doctor & am feeling pretty low about it all:( I applied for DLA in November on the advice of my CPN. She was meant to be with me but I got the letter on Thursday (lots of notice!) & she was on annual leave today. Incidentally neither she or my psychiatrist have been contacted by anyone re my claim, which I find odd! Anyhow the doctor came, but I have been double guessing everything my husband or I said, everything he made me do & I really truly think he will fail me despite everything I suffer from & all the meds I'm on:( by sheer "luck" I had a fall on Friday (due to the ruddy disc popping out again, because I sneezed (mid pee I may add) not good:( so I've been upstairs in bed in agony since, with bruises all down my right side!!! He still made me get up!! Just wondering if anyone has experience of this & if they can tell me roughly what will happen now & how long does it usually take?

Comments

• blueknees
    blueknees Member Posts: 90
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    You may have "shot yourself in the foot" by getting up out of bed?

Who looks after your children ? If that was one of the questions and you answered that you do I doubt if you will be awarded DLA.

They are really mean at present, take it from one who knows.

Sorry to be negative but if you don't get your hopes up and then get the award it will be like winning the pools.

Good luck.
  • KayMick
    Hi there....thanks for the reply:) my husband was there & he told them he does Everything!!! By "luck" I had slipped a disc again....on friday so when my husband was trying get me up from the bed I was screaming, shouting & crying....plus doc commented on the bruises/scrapes on my knee & leg which happened as I fell because of it:( I never attempted to walk as couldn't put weight on my leg as the disc is pushing on my sciatic nerve & it's agony:( he also commented that I was trying to compensate for that by my foot only being on my tip toes!! I honestly don't know what to think!!! I suffer with depression & anxiety & am on a lot of meds between that & the arthritis plus sciatica. I currently take
    Venlafaxin 225mg 1 a day
    Quetiapine 125mg 1 a day
    Co-codamol 30/500 8 a day
    Dypracet 20/500 2 at night (can replace the co-thru day with them if bad)
    Diclofenac 50mg 3 a day
    Methocarbamol 750mg 8 a day
    Transvasin - when needed
    Ventolin - when needed
    Honestly rattle lol but they can't argue with it as its all in my GP notes although the atos doc never asked to see them, my husband gave him a list!! Got to keep a positive mental attitude oooofffttt!!!!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I hope it goes well for you, Kay, but I think all you can do for now is try to put it out of your mind. They'll decide what they decide and fretting about it won't influence them one way or the other :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • KayMick
    Hi there:) yeah think that's just what I'll need to do!! At least if I get knocked back my GP, CPN & psychiatrist will support me in an appeal!! Just frustrating that they weren't contacted in the first place!! But after hearing other people's stories it doesn't surprise me!!! So glad I've found this forum :) I struggle to speak to people & tend to stay in the house......so finding others that understand is really good :)
  • blueknees
    blueknees Member Posts: 90
    Seems to me that you did everything spot on.

They don't always write to you medics as they won't believe them anyway.

From what you say your claim should go through without a hitch, let's face it if you don't get it no one else has a chance.

Is there any medical intervention in the future 'cos if there is a chance you can be repaired that could go against you.

I know I'm being negative but so will the decision makers.

Good luck and take care. Be careful your hubby doesn't do too much as you all need him to stay healthy.

If you are successful you should look into Carers Allowance - that gives your carer a few quid each week but there are restrictions in salary level if the carer is employed.

The Carer can be you son/daughter as long as they do not earn too much (around £100.00 a week) and they must care for you at least 36 hours a week.
  • KayMick
    Thanks for that:) just need to hope, wait & see!! Would make a huge difference to us financially, that's for sure. CPN told me about carers allowance so will def look into it if my claim is successful. Think the whole benefits system is just a minefield to be honest. My eyes have been well & truly opened & not in a good way!