TKR advice please

Turbogran
Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
edited 1. Mar 2013, 08:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
My sister has just had a total knee replacement 30th Jan and is doing quite well physios are well pleased with her but she is suffering some tightness and stiffness in it and she is wondering how long that this will last and if it is normal so i am asking if anyone who has had a tkr can say if they have suffered this way. thank you.
Stay positive always👍xx

Comments

• Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Quite normal and to be expected just a few weeks after a TKR. I had a bilateral TKR (both knees) last July, and my knees are still a bit stiff and painful at times, especially when getting up and in very cold weather. I've been told this can last for a year to 18 months, although it varies a lot with different people. Tell your sister to be patient and not worry; it sounds as though things are going fine.

There are a couple of other people on here who've had more recent TKRs who will no doubt reply soon.
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Hi

I would say it varies from each person but personally my TKR was October 2012 and I still get occasinal stiffness, not so much tightness now...It's very early days for your sister, she will see improvements some gradually, others all at once..

Elainexx
    Turbogran wrote:
    My sister has just had a total knee replacement 30th Jan and is doing quite well physios are well pleased with her but she is suffering some tightness and stiffness in it and she is wondering how long that this will last and if it is normal so i am asking if anyone who has had a tkr can say if they have suffered this way. thank you.
  • barry2013
    barry2013 Member Posts: 151
    Hi.
    I had my TKR done on Feb12th so it's still early day's, have just got back from Physio, everything going well, only using one stick now and able to walk for around 30mins outside as well as doing excerise's. Tell your Sister she is doing fine, remember to ice and raise the leg, I found they really help.
    Wishing her a good recovery.
    Barry.
  • blueknees
    blueknees Member Posts: 90
    I'm 8 months down the road and still suffer a lot.

Lots of pain and stiffness, especially after a little exercise.

It is normal so just be a patient patient :D

It is major surgery so the body needs time to recover, get lots of sleep if possible.
  • Turbogran
    Thank you all I will tell my sister what you have all said when I next speak to her. She knows that she has to be patient but she just wanted to know if others had had the same feelings and if it was something that most people went through.
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • chookgate
    chookgate Member Posts: 146
    I'm three months into my second TKR (first one was 6 1/2 months ago on the other knee). The second one still feels stiff and sore in the mornings in particular, but the first one feels perfectly fine. However the second one was a lot more swollen than the first (and is still a bit swollen) and the amount of swelling is going to affect stiffness.

I still get a bit of pain in the second knee, and it worries me sometimes because I don't remember any pain in the first TKR, but I have to keep reminding myself after the first TKR I was still on Tramadol, and then strong co-codamol for the pain from the then unoperated knee!

It sounds like your sister's knee is perfectly normal, but advise her to mention any discomforts and/or pain and stiffness to the physio next time, they will be able to assess if there are any problems, and if she is still concerned at all (eg sharp pains etc) then she should call to speak to her GP. (and keep up the exercises!)

Wish her luck!
  • blueknees
    You an also request an appointment with your surgeon, they usually respond.
  • Turbogran
    Thanks for all your replies my sister Sue went ot physio today for her 2nd appt and has a 110 degree bend which they are very pleased with and physio has advised her that it could be a while before the stiffness if she has done a little too much on it so all is well it seems. She also says thank you for all your advice.
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • blueknees
    110 degree bend - WOW my tkr was 8 months ago and I can only manage about 100 degrees, and that is with quite some pain.

No problems there :)
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    I agree if your sister has got 110% bend then some stiffness will be natural and after all its not a month since the operation....Methinks she is being a tad impatient but its easy done when your'e not used to this...

Elainexx
    Turbogran wrote:
    Thanks for all your replies my sister Sue went ot physio today for her 2nd appt and has a 110 degree bend which they are very pleased with and physio has advised her that it could be a while before the stiffness if she has done a little too much on it so all is well it seems. She also says thank you for all your advice.